What's new

Blockbuster to favor Blu-ray HD discs over DVD format (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I would think a Star Wars fan would want to see the Blu Ray numbers rise enough to bring Lucasfilm into the HD optical media game. Nothing wrong with a format war ending.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Unless Lucas prefers HD DVD over Blu-ray. Stranger things have happened. Or dictates a duel format release.

Doug

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I got Doug's back on that one. If Lucas prefers HD-DVD and he feels it's time to release Star Wars, Fox will do a 360 (not MS 360) and release Star Wars on HD-DVD. Of course this ain't gonna happen. I can't imagine the format war lasting the amount of time it will take to get Lucas to release the films.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Decided to swing by my local BB to see if they would be one of the 1700 stores. They never even heard of the press release. One guy said that there was a 'rumor' going around that BB might support Blu-ray. lol Anyway, I explained that there was a press release last week etc. They haven't a clue.

What is funny is the stuff they did start to claim. The one guy said that BB wants to replace all of their DVD's in the store with Blu-ray by the end of next year. I love Blu-ray as much as anyone else, but yeah right. The other was that BB wants to get as many people renting online as possible as that is where their business model is moving. That I can see but I think the store will always have a presence.

Shot off an email to corporate asking if the closest store near me will actually be getting Blu-ray discs in July.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I think that's the problem, I don't go into stores looking for computers. I mainly build my own machines but I've yet to see an HP computer in anyone's home that I know. Printers, as you mentioned, are a different story.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
HP aquired the top billing a few years back when they aquired Compaq. The HP numbers reflect both the HP and Compaq branding.

Side Note: Sorry Cees. I hadn't noticed your response above.

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter
I'm looking at Thomas's HD DVD and Blu-ray collection. Seems like he favors HD DVD 171 to 34 blu-ray. How can the BDA claim consumers are favoring blu-ray over HD DVD 4:1? I, myself, have a larger HD DVD collection. Hmmm....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Probably because BD enthusiasts have more BDs than HD DVDs.

Why would you assume that the buying habits of two self-avowed HD DVD supporters would represent the entire HD community?

Folks who got into HD DVD early probably have more HD DVDs bcs they chose to buy those "dual-release" titles on HD DVD since WB releaesd most of them on HD DVD first. And most folks to have both HD DVD and BD bought their HD DVD player first since it was released first: ie, more HD DVD consumers "added on" BD for Disney and Sony titles than BD consumers who later bought an HD DVD player for Universal titles. I know several HD DVD-first people who also got a BD player, but I don't know anyone who first bought a BD player who then later decided to also get an HD DVD player.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
One quick comment so there is no misunderstanding. While I currently support both formats, my heart is still with HD DVD. If a disk is released in both formats, I will buy buy the HD DVD version, so some of my numbers are slanted. Others would do the opposite. In additional, there just has not been a lot of exclusive titles from the BD side that excited me. That could change once Fox gets back in the game. We will see.

As far as the BDA org, I place about the same level of belief in any thing they write as I do in Sony's comments, or write up from the HD DVD org. All very much slanted with numbers that are pulled out of the arse.
:)

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter

What's up with attacking people? If you like blu-ray, it's your choice. No need to call people names. Shesh...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
were is the name calling or attacking, was it in that quote from david?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, it's the other way around. HD DVD enthusiasts have more HD DVDs than BDs. :)

But as far as statistics go: I also once tallied the number of titles in both "which BD/HD DVD titles do you own" threads, and indeed, there were clearly more HD DVD titles owned by the posters to those threads (many more than 2 posters!) than BD titles. But, alas, we're no statistical significant sample of the US consumer population. :)

Apparently by the non-enthusiasts-like-us population more BD titles are purchased than HD titles.
But it's not 4:1 either, even not 2:1 probably, because the HD DVD buying started earlier (more than half a year, I think).

Cees

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I must have missed the naming calling David Boulet did there too? :confused:

For the record, my comment was a joke. I'm sure Thomas knows that, but sometimes we just have too thin a skin around here. Hell, I don't know what's more fun now-a-days, watching HD or getting into arguements with Thomas. :D

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
Thomas... just to claify further, when did you get your HD DVD player and when did you get your Blu Ray player? Thanks...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes,

for all dual-format members, let us know if you bought your HD DVD player first or second versus your BD player.

It's not unusual for members to argue with me about things I haven't actually said, but this one is particularly confusing...

:confused:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

In my case I bought my HD DVD player first and then bought the PS3. In both cases I paid approximately the same price for each player. I have a slightly larger number of HD DVDs due to buying the HD DVD player first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks