What's new

Blockbuster Slogan (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a search and could not find anything.
Saw a Blockbuster advertisement on the side of a bus today in the greater Chicagoland area.
hope I'm getting most of this quote correct
'Why buy a dvd when you can rent'
'Are you really going to watch it more than once?'
:rolleyes

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. We are all movie buffs here at the HTF, and we love to own movies and watch them over and over again, but that isn't true for the public at large, at whom the ad you saw is aimed.

MatS

Screenwriter
well I guess they should abandon their silly policy of 'selling' dvd's in their storefronts. I mean who is going to watch a movie more than one time?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It doesn't have to be one or the other. There is a market for DVD rentals as well as DVD sales. There is no rule that says BB can only tap into one of them.

MatS

Screenwriter
here is the actual quote:
RENTING IS BETTER THAN BUYING
Will you REALLY watch a DVD more than once?
I guess these have been up for some time, I just noticed this related post at another forum
dvdtalk thread
ps. I too wanted to spray paint 'YES' on the ad. ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
BigRollEyes.jpg

...this really, really BIG "rolleyes" is just for Blockbuster.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I do rent dvds of movies I want to see but have little interest in owning. Of course, I buy an awful lot of the darn things as well! :)

Edwin_M

Agent
I have to side with Blockbuster on this one. Why would I want to buy a DVD? I would much rather drive 30 mins and pay $4 everytime I want to see a certain movie and drive back another 30 to return it and be charged if it's late (because it was my reponsibility to take it back on time). 4 bucks a week for 100+ weeks is a hell of a lot better than 20 bucks at one time! 20 bucks! That's too much at one time! My budget can't handle that.;)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I think the market would bear what would be a title worth owning, but I hope Ballbuster is not trying to drive a wedge into rental pricing again. Sure, I can't see myself buying Training Day (or heaven forbid - Glitter
smiley_puke.gif
!!), for example, but LOTR or HP, sure, besides whatever classic catalogue titles I see fit -that should bea choice that I have the right to make.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah.
Why own a nice, clean, pristine version of your favorite film when you can rent a scratched, banged-up copy? That is, if it happens to be in stock when you want it! :rolleyes:
:D

James Edward

Supporting Actor
RENTING IS BETTER THAN BUYING
Will you REALLY watch a DVD more than once?
Slogan should read:
BUYING IS BETTER THAN RENTING
Be late because of our stupid 'return by 12 noon' policy,
And you could practically buy the movie for the same cost :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Yes, I have paid a few late fees.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster is at war with Warner Brothers on this one. And I for one support Warner Brothers. Why rent when I can buy? Blockbuster rental charges are one of my reasons for buying DVDs. Their late charges are another. Then there is their lack of selection. Their need to censor the films I can choose from, or the scenes in the ones they will carry.... Add to that when I did return a DVD that was banged and scratched beyond watchability, not only did they not refund me the money, but because they didn't check it back in (until a few days later - why they did at all is beyond me) they wanted me to pay a late fee...

That was my last straw.

The blockbuster experience is the yang to the ying of my joy from watching films.

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
When Block busted first came into our area (which was before I owned a DVD player) they had an excellant selection of videos. Then after driving the majority of competitors out they started carrying more games,toys and other crap and proceeded to eliminate the War and Scifi sections and throw them together under action.And how is renting on lets say a Saturday night and having it due Monday by noon three days? Unless your on second shift or vacation a weekday due date is null. :angry:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What baffles me is that isn't Viacom the parent company of both Ballbuster and Paramount? So here's one subsidiary going out of their way to hurt another. YOU SUCK ASS BALLBUSTER!!! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks