What's new

Blockbuster may be going back to late fees (1 Viewer)

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Not true. Disney's pricing is very predatory (and more power to them for finding this magic formula). It is $75.62 for the first day, but the difference between a three day pass and a four day pass is $9.58 -- that one day costs less than $10. And it goes on from there: The difference between a six day pass and a seven day pass is $2.13 -- that one day costs less than a couple of sodas.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris

Good Lord! I now have another reason not to have children. No offense to anyone. Seriously though, getting back to your annoying customers is of irrelevance comment. I personally despise BBV because of their old late fee policy. Being charged a $90 late fee for Antitrust when I could have bought the DVD for under $20 brand new at many different retailers was my tipping point. This was also part of THE REASON why the class action suit was brought against them. Maybe if it was Casablanca I wouldn't have had as big of issue with it as I did. It was a few days late, my bad, I have no problem with accountability or personal responsibility. But in my mind this was the last straw. I decided BB would never get another single cent from me, and they haven't.

In the past, have I cut off my nose to spite my face? Unfortunately yes. At the same time, I firmly believe in "voting" with my wallet. Lots of the Hollywood Videos closing is unfortunate, but I stopped renting movies a long time ago. I buy them the week they are released, used, online, borrow my friend's copy, or use VOD (okay so that is renting but it is rare.) And whoever said maybe BBV should stop opening 7 stores in every state... :laugh: I have lived in the DFW metroplex for the last 27 years. I also live somewhat "in the sticks." There are 3 BBV's within 3 miles from me. When I lived in Addison there were 4 in a 2 mile radius from me.

Personally I think they are clinging to an outdated business/distribution model that is fast going the way of the dinosaurs. I would make a comparison to the MPAA or RIAA but BBV seems to have their heads not lodged up their asses quite as far.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
As I mentioned earlier, it is possible that some businesses simply have no profitable path forward. Remember, Blockbuster, itself, has its online business, which has (and won't have) late fees, and is working on broadband distribution. It is only the little guy -- the small, local franchisee -- we're talking about here, who has a storefront and a whole bunch of their life invested in this model. What do folks expect them to do? Convert their store into a laundrymat? With what money? I feel for these guys (well, this one guy, since he's the only franchisee I've met and spoke with personally). They're in a tough spot, and maybe it is unsaveable. But they're not stupid, as you seem to allude they are. :rolleyes

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Tony, thanks for the advice. I had talked to the store employees at least 4 or 5 times in person and on the phone and never noticed the number on the receipt.

I just called and it sounds like it's going to get taken care of now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
I am surprised no one has mentioned being irritated about Blockbuster holding exclusive rental rights to certain movies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was mentioned in the proper thread that was dicussing that specific situation.

anyway it's been a few weeks now and we still havent heard anything definitive, or anything further at all on the return of late fees.

so we still dont know whats going to happen.

here you go.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...-bad-idea.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks