What's new

Blockbuster - get $8 in trade for DVDs Starts Oct 5th (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Unloaded a bag full of DVDs today. They gave me $8 each. $192 in credit. Supposedly goes for the entire month. I would definately call the store before you go to verify as this does not seem to apply for every store. Good luck!!:)

Chet

Jude Andrews

Auditioning
I wonder if they would take some of those dollar store DVDs. Could be a good way to rack up some major credit at my friendly neighborhood Blockbuster.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"I wonder if they would take some of those dollar store DVDs"

I was told they aren't taking these but they do take the Walmart $5.50 DVDs. They need to have a cover and be in good shape.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I just traded in 43 disks tonight, and received 344 in credit. Nothing like getting a good return while thinning out the collection. I was able to get rid of some previously viewed titles as well. I ended up replacing 2 of the disks with upgraded SE's, and picked up Aladdin as well. At least I know where I'm getting dvds for the next few months (or longer).

A

Craig Rup

Grip
Must be nice, I live in the DC metro area and blockbuster is not promoting this deal here. I have some serious garbage that I would love to get rid of.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Cincinnati area stores are running this promotion as well. I traded in 11 discs and got $8 for each. They scan the barcodes to test whether or not the disc is in their system, which determines what they will and will not accept. Just for kicks, I tried to trade three R0 imports from Hong Kong, but was refused since they didn't scan.

I talked to the manager about any limitations. Basically, cover art has to be intact, discs have to be original, and the movies have to be "something they would carry." He specifically said no NC-17 films, but I don't know if that applies to all locations. I have also read that there is a daily trade-in limit of $500.

Blockbuster's prices on new DVD's tend to be exorbitant, but their game console prices are the same as everywhere else, so this is a good way to pick one up for the kids...or yourself. I'm waiting to see if they have a Black Friday sale, though.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully a BBV somewhere reasonably close to where I live will be participating in this. The closest one wasn't doing it last time around.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I did pretty well on this. I brought in seven titles and got 8.00 for each. Turned around and bought two XBox titles on the "Buy one, get another at 50%" sale and had enough left over for a movie rental. I may do another sifting of my collection to see if there are any others to trade. The nice thing is I was able to get rid of a disc that was refused by another used media shop because of scratches. At that place I wouldn't have had more than 4.00 in trade too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
quote:I was told they aren't taking these but they do take the Walmart $5.50 DVDs. They need to have a cover and be in good shape.

Hm...$5.50 DVDs...$8.00 credit. That's $2.50 net credit per DVD. Say the average selling price of a new DVD is $25 at BBV. $25/2.50 = 10 discs for enough credit to get one new DVD at BBV. Hmm. Might almost be worth it.

Then again, the Hastings I was at last night had a bunch of semi-obscure pre-viewed DVDs at 3.99 each. Think BBV would be suspicious if I traded in ten copies of the same title?
smile.gif

Anyway, I've got a bunch of older editions in my collection that I've supplemented with new special editions (Hunt for Red October, Star Trek IV, V, Generations, A League of their Own, Saving Private Ryan, Clerks just off the top of my head). This is actually a pretty good deal, IMHO. Might even get rid of a few others where the special editions are imminent.

Now all I have to do is cross my fingers and hope my local Blockbuster is participating in this deal.

Dave

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
My local BB has a sign up for a Minimum of $5 on "most" DVD's. I took several in and was turned away because the system wasnt up to date and the prices were all listed as $0.

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
Considering how overpriced brand new DVDs are at Blockbuster, the trade value is pretty minimal (unless you buy video games, which have the same price everywhere). But if you're dumping DVDs that no one would give you anything for, this is a very good deal. I was able to dump my Rocky box set for $40 since there are five movies in it. This is a good way to get rid of the barebones original DVDs and get the SEs.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't Blockbuster supposed to price match competitors? That would sweeten the deal some more, wouldn't it? Then again, I live in a small town about 20 miles from the "big city" so all the competitors (Best Buy, Circuit City, are about a half-hour drive away, so I don't know if the BBV here would price-match them anyway.)

Going to go try to dump some of my old titles this evening.`

Dave

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Michael Douglas: I found the new Animal House DVD for 14.99 The best deal is DeepdiscountDVD for 13.99. I also picked up Clerks X for 24.99 and saw that Circuit City was selling it for the same price. The best deal is DeepdiscountDVD for 23.75. You just have to be a smart shopper. If you wait for the 3 for 25 deal you essentially trade up even which is the best deal I've ever seen.

Dave Corder: I was told that they don't pricematch anymore but you may find a privately owned store that will.

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Isn't Blockbuster supposed to price match competitors? That would sweeten the deal some more, wouldn't it? Then again, I live in a small town about 20 miles from the "big city" so all the competitors (Best Buy, Circuit City, are about a half-hour drive away, so I don't know if the BBV here would price-match them anyway.)

They did a couple years ago. But all the Blockbusters in my area no longer price match.

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
The three BB in my area stopped price matching last spring. The "loss leader prices on first week sales were killing them".

Funny, that's exactly what they were trying to do to Mom and Pop video stores with rentals.

Tan Hoang

Auditioning
There are some previewed movies selling at blockbuster for 4.99. You think if I buy it and trade-in, would it work? Does it work for already bought BB pre-viewed dvds?

Wink... Wink...

Anybody try this?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Over half of the ones I traded were originally previewed purchases from BB. However this was several months ago that I bought them. I would think they would be wise to such machinations as the 4.99 purchase and trade, offering at most an adjusted price, not the full 8.00. But you never know. I almost didn't bring in my less than blemish free movie but I figured I'd try it and they took it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks