What's new

Blind Subwoofer Purchase...help?!?! (1 Viewer)

cabreau

Second Unit
I was going to upgrade my Paradigm PDR-10 to a PS-1000, which has a much lower response. I've heard both and the PS-1000 is truly a good performer compared to the PDR-10. But I think I'm going to do a blind purchase and go for an SVS PCi 20-39. I've been reading how many of you have the SVS and love it. Good purchase? I like a clean, deep bass, that shakes my shirt (but doesn't pop my eardrums) a bit when there is an explosion or Jurassic puddle shakers. Anyone have experience with the PCi 20-39 or been able to compare to the PS-1000?

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Go with the SVS. It is more comparable to the PW 2200 or the Servo 15.

I own paradigm speakers, they make great stuff at a great price. However, while those two subs are great values in the B&M world, unless you are in canda where shipping/duties plus cheaper digms come into play, then the SVS is a stunning value. I own the PCi 20-39, and I was going to get a PDR sub. After hearing the Servo-15 I knew that I HAD to have that kind of bass. But since I didn't want to pay 1500 bucks, i figured 500 on the SVS would get me close. Wow. It did, and the nousaine numbers but the SVS ahead of the servo15. Either way, they are both stunning subs. I suggest you try the SVS, if you don't like it you'll only be out shipping.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Another Paradigm owner that gives the nod to SVS. Hsu also has some good subs in that price range(STF-2 or 3,VTF-2) as well if you want to check them out.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a VTF-2, and I have auditioned the 25-31PCi. The 25-31 (which you can order tuned to 22Hz), is considerably more powerful than the VTF-2, and that is significant because I have no complaints about the VTF-2 :eek:. I have a fairly large room (~20x22 with high vaulted ceilings) and the VTF-2 is more than able to activate the whole room. The 25-31 would be overkill for my current residence, and the VTF-2 is less than half the size.

Dan_Whip

Agent
There are quite a few great subs in that price range. The SVS is probably the most popular, but there is also the Adire Dharman, Parts Express has the 12" Titanic MKIII, HSU STF-3. Those are just the ones off the top of my head that are in that general price range. Any of them would be a big step up from the PS-1000.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
There really is no comparison between the PS1000 and a 20-39PCi. Chris is correct with his comparison to Paradigm subs...try comparing the PS1000 to the PW2200 or the Servo15 and see which caliber of sub you like better:D.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I think many of us have purchased SVS subs blindly and have never looked back :)

Proud 20-39 PCi owner here, as well...

cabreau

Second Unit
I ended up having to get the PW-2200 (not that I'm COMPLAINING, LOL), because the B&M gave me 100% of the original purchase price of my PDR-10 toward "like" item. I was going to put the money from the PDR-10 towards some Studio 20's and then order a SVS. Somehow instead of coming home with the PS-1000, I came home with the PW-2200 and once I placed it in the right spot, HOLY CRAP. I still would have liked to get an SVS just because everyone raves about them. I'll have to get an SVS for my SECOND system someday. ;)

cabreau

Second Unit
For $300, the PDR-10 is a great sub. I was very satisfied with it for a year before I traded up. It just doesn't shake the house like the PW-2200, but it has PLENTY of good bass.

James C

Grip
Thanks,

I just went and listened to the PDR-10 along with the Atoms. I loved them. Now I have to find a receiver. Narrowed it down to the Yamaha RX-1400 or the H/K AVR 430. Any suggestions?

cabreau

Second Unit
Yamaha and H/K are both excellent receivers.

If you watch a lot of stereo TV and want it to simulate 5.1 or 7.1, get the H/K for it's Logic 7. The Logic 7 works miracles in my opinion.

If you want a whole bunch of DSP's, Yamaha is awesome for that. The guy at Tweeters was showing us all kinds of preset effects that you can apply to your movies to help tweak the sound the way you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks