What's new

Bleeping ridiculous words in movies on TV (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I know this is off topic but Natalie, I loved Auckland!! It's a gorgeous city and I would love to go back there. The NZ'ers are lovely people and my wife and I had an amazing time.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
VH-1 Classic is playing "All the Right Moves," and they had a strange adventure in overdubbing. Lea Thompson says "asshole jocks," and the entire first word is silenced. Tom Cruise repeats it, and it is not silenced. Then Lea repeats it, not silenced. Then, Tom says it again, and they silence the "hole" half of the word! Kind of pointless.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
A 9 year old thread brought back from the dead...is that some kind of record?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A fun game is to watch these movies with the closed captions on. Sometimes the captions feature the original dialogue. :)

This happens a lot on Comedy Central.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
All The Right Moves is airing on VH1 Classics on Sunday 10/13 and Monday 10/14. I will definitely be recording it!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Now I have to worry that they'll fix it between now and then and I'll look like an idiot ("Too late!" says the peanut gallery).

VH1-C bleeps things that no longer are even bleeped on network TV. I think it's less an adherence to traditional standards than them lazily grabbing existing TV cuts. I've never seen All the Right Moves, but they always play Risky Business. It's really not the same without getting to see Rebecca De Mornay's ... full acting range.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Well, there's only one... make that two reasons to watch All the Right Moves. And neither of them is Craig T Nelson (nor will they be popping up on VH1 Classic).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Thanks to Greg, I recorded All the Right Moves last night and laughed myself silly at this part:

(Sorry, YouTube pulled the clip)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Dang. It got Foxed before I got to see it. I'm glad you caught it.

Do the two worthwhile things belong to Lea or another actress?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This has probably already been mentioned, but what really annoys me is when they bleep cable shows.

They were obviously written with the intended dialogue and filmed that way, yet we get the bleep or silence while the show continues.

I don't know if they're intended for special "uncut" DVDs, international showings, who knows the reasons. I find them very annoying and the next one I come across gets axed from my list.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I was pretty surprised the other night watching a rerun of "Sanford & Son" on an over-the-air broadcast station (Antenna TV). One of the lines contained the "N" word, a word I had assumed had been removed from current syndicated versions of 1970s sitcoms.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont care to hear that stuff.

in movies and in real life, when someone needs to resort to those words in typical conversation, it is time for me to move on.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
jimmyjet said:
i dont care to hear that stuff.

in movies and in real life, when someone needs to resort to those words in typical conversation, it is time for me to move on.
Fine, but you don't get to make that decision for other people, and neither should the FCC. Can you imagine how bad movies would be if the MPAA had as much power as them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks