What's new

Blair Witch Project at Best Buy for $4.97 (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The OAR fow Blair Witch is 1.33 to 1. Some theaters mistakenly projected it with a hard matte to 1.78. to 1. My local theater projected it correctly.
As for the movie itself, I introduce it to all my friend by having them watch the "Curse" documentary first, immediatly followed by watching the film. The combined running time between the two is almost exaclty 2 hours. When viewed in one sitting, everyone I know has thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
quote: hopefully we will see the witch[/quote]
The reason why BWP was creepy was because we DIDN'T see "the Witch." It uses your imagination to scare you. If I see a guy in a rubber mask, I know it's fake, my mind tells me so, I'll get lamed out. But the beauty of the BWP was that it didn't show, only eluded by comments and sounds. I went camping in South Dakota a week after my wife and I saw that movie... I didn't sleep. Although I did a funny bit when we heard cars driving around look for places to camp. "If you listen closely, you can hear the Blair Witch searching... You can tell it's her by her preference to 4 wheel drive!" Well, it was funny at the time.
Edited to say that I didn't like part 2.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 29, 2001 at 07:32 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Vince, what it actually says is...
FULLSCREEN VERSION: Formatted from it's original version to fit your scren.
The only thing I can think of, is that for this particular film, it means nothing, I think it's just standard practice to put this warning on any film that is 1.33:1, even if it's OAR is 1.33:1 like this one. I would ignor it.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
There are a bunch of films that have the
"modified to fit your screen" announcment,
when no such modification occured.
Many of the MGM and Warner Bros titles
have this warning either on the back, or
before the films' titles.
Unless you consider the modification from
1.37:1 to 1.33:1 worthy of such an alert,
many Academy ratio films on DVD are mislabeled.
I had a copy of Singin' in the Rain
with this annoucement.
Same for Hans Christian Anderson
and a plethora of others.
Just a heads up.
:)
mark

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it sight unseen for full retail (ouch) at Fred Meyer B&M. Watched it once, quickly tired of them running around cursing for no real apparent reason.
I had to look hard to find someone to GIVE it to since I had no desire to watch it again.
I WILL admit that there was a part that creeped me a little...it was near the end when they were in the house and ran to the basement and the camera ended up on the ground...not to spoil it for anybody.
3 years later, I still have no desire to watch it again, or its sequels.
Well, The Bare Wench Project on DirecTV was an interesting parody...hehe
-Seth

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
OK I am getting this masterpiece.
I think it adds to the creepiness of the movie, that the witch was not shown.
Now I am a VERY liberal critic when it comes to movies(I almost like everything)but Blair Witch 2 didn't really work for me, because it didn't look like real footage like BW1, but I still thought it had some creep factor, but is not like the first one.
When the BW first came out my wife and I had watched all the hype and pre documentaries on the Blair Witch, and in our ignorance we actually thought this was real footage when we rented the tape.
Imagine our horror when we thought this was real footage!
This film and the hype was such a masterpiece we had no idea it was not a real documentary. Even after the hype was over and we knew it wasn't real, we still think it is very creepy.
How can anyone who watches this and pays attention, not realize its unique brilliance?
The Blair Witch Project is an original, unique piece of film! It should be recognized as a Masterpiece!!!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I found TBWP to be the most calculated piece of anti-art "art" that I've ever seen. It's a triumph of hype over substance, fueled by an innovative, staged, word-of-mouth campaign. It is, IMO, quite possibly, the worst movie made in a very long time.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Peter, you've got to give them credit for scaring the crap out of a lot of people with so little budget. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't genius.
There is not ONE single film EVER made that EVERYONE liked, EVER!!EVER!!
It was ingenius and fresh and should have won some kind of award!
I can think of a lot of big budget films that the BWP just blows away!
------------------
Sean

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Dang those actors were great in the BWP. Some of the best acting I've ever seen!! EVER!
------------------
Sean

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Sure, I'll give them credit for scaring some people, a couple of my friends liked it. I still think it's a lousy movie, though. It's the only movie I've EVER walked out on, theatrically. If there's any "genius" to the movie (I don't think there is), it was the marketing and word-of-mouth campaign that obviously fooled a lot of gullible people into believing this phony-looking footage was real.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Peter,
Are you telling us that if you were to watch this movie all alone in the dark, uninterrupted, it wouldn't give you the creeps?
I am a fairly enthusiastic horror buff, and this is one of the few movies that leaves me with the creeps for at least a day. Heck the first time I saw it I was creeped out for a week.
I rank it's creepiness with movies like the Shining and Burnt Offerings(has anyone seen this? ULTRA CREEPY).
But Peter maybe it just doesn't work for you for any number of reasons, maybe because you know it's not real? The jittery camaras?
Where's your sense of escapism? :) Just playin'
Not everyone liked this movie and I can certainly appreciate that you don't. That's what makes the world go round.
------------------
Sean

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Best horror movie ever.
That said, I don't watch this disc much because it creeps me out too much. :)
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"
[Edited last by Dave F on October 29, 2001 at 11:38 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It is, IMO, quite possibly, the worst movie made in a very long time.
Boy, you must not see many movies. Maybe the worst national release in a while- but if you even attend one film festival in your lifetime, you'll see 10 movies worse than that one.
I've seen 30 movies worse than Blair Witch in the last 3 months alone.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Sean: I love horror movies - the last really, really good one was Exorcist III; I loved The Shining - I HATED Burnt Offerings. I saw Blair Witch theatrically - I walked out of it the first time, about 20 minutes in, because I was annoyed by the camerawork and the awful dialogue. A friend of mine assured me that the thing came together after that, so I went back a few nights later. To my horror, it only got worse. I stayed to the end, though. :)
Vince: You're right! I should have qualified that statement with theatrically-released movies. I've seen plenty of unreleased films at premieres and festivals that are far worse than Blair Witch, but at least they've never seen the light of day again!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Oh Boy, you didn't like Burnt Offerings either huh?
My God, that Karen Black is a super creep in that movie(heck she's creepy period). I saw this movie as a child and had nightmares for a long time.
I rented the VHS about 2 years ago and watched it again, and it is still my favorite creepy movie yet!
I'm with Dave, I don't watch The Blair Witch much, because it creeps me out big time! Which qualifies it as great movie for me, as not many movies do this.
So back to the original topic, I am going to Best Buy tommorrow, I hope they still have a copy for me! :)
If they have an extra one, do you want me to pick one up for you Peter?
wink.gif

------------------
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 30, 2001 at 12:30 AM]

Blu

Screenwriter
How can you not want it at that price???
This is the holy grail of indie movie making at its best!

bill lopez

Second Unit
Yes it's a good movie. But it's one of those good movies you watch once in your liftime and don't care if you ever see it again. I won't be surprised if BestBuy just gives them away if they don't sell at this cheap price.

Kami

Screenwriter
VERY creepy the first time I saw it...some people left the theater shitting themselves. Saw one girl crying...
After that it's not AS creepy but still a great film to watch in a pitch black environment...preferrably alone. I would definitely pick it up for 5 bucks, but I already own it. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Ken Cranes still has a bucketload of the LDs for $1.99.
What are the extras on the second disc? Are they any good?
I enjoyed the film the first time around, and the second time I saw it I found myself analyzing its construction (which I'd say is far more clever and organized than it appears), but I didn't enjoy it nearly half as much. I recently placed an order with Ken Cranes, but didn't pick up a two-dollar Blair Witch because I figured it didn't have any more replay value.
Of course, if the extras are worth two bucks, I'll put together another order.
(This last order included two-dollar copies of the Vanilla Ice movie "Cool As Ice" for all my LD-player friends as evil Christmas presents. Drop that zero and get wit' the hero!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks