What's new

Blade Runner (1982) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I'm glad to say it came to the Paramount. Saw an afternoon screening today with a wonderful group. Church was never that quiet.
Which is also why I'm glad I wasn't at the Alamo Ritz, or any Alamo, all that food service is way too noisy for me.

No way to ever know how often I've seen Blade Runner. Being a fan from the starting gate I saw it in theaters at least a dozen times the first month.
Later, at home, many many more.
It doesn't get old.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/02/the_weathers_perfect_to_remake_blade_runner_this_weekend.php

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just watched this in 4K HDR in total darkness. It was an amazing experience although I had seen this many times. I saw things that I never noticed before. To my surprise I also watched it very easily without getting bored. The more I have watched a movie, the more it gets difficult to re-watch it. Yes, the movie does not have thrilling action but by the second half of the movie, it makes you think about so many themes, moral questions that I was reminded why this is an absolute classic.

I noticed one major information I didn't notice before. We were discussing in the sequel thread if Replicants are biological or robots and deducing that they must be biological. There is no need for that! They actually directly say it in the original movie. :) Tyrell says that they are organic when he meets Roy (Rutger Hauer).

One question also came to my mind. After Tyrell is murdered, we hear on the Police radio that the body of J.F. Sebastian is found. Who killed him because I can't believe Roy did. Roy clearly wasn't on a killing spree and didn't kill people just because he was "evil". He didn't kill Deckard. I never thought that J.F. Sebastian was under any threat from them (Roy and Pris).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this in 4K HDR in total darkness. It was an amazing experience although I had seen this many times. I saw things that I never noticed before. To my surprise I also watched it very easily without getting bored. The more I have watched a movie, the more it gets difficult to re-watch it. Yes, the movie does not have thrilling action but by the second half of the movie, it makes you think about so many themes, moral questions that I was reminded why this is an absolute classic.

I noticed one major information I didn't notice before. We were discussing in the sequel thread if Replicants are biological or robots and deducing that they must be biological. There is no need for that! They actually directly say it in the original movie. :) Tyrell says that they are organic when he meets Roy (Rutger Hauer).

One question also came to my mind. After Tyrell is murdered, we hear on the Police radio that the body of J.F. Sebastian is found. Who killed him because I can't believe Roy did. Roy clearly wasn't on a killing spree and didn't kill people just because he was "evil". He didn't kill Deckard. I never thought that J.F. Sebastian was under any threat from them (Roy and Pris).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the replicants also kill the engineer who was doing eyes?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've always thought it was implied that they killed him. If they didn't he would have reported them and let the authorities know they were going to see Sebastian.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was referring to an onsreen death.

I agree it’s implied he was killed.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
He killed Tyrell, right? Sebastian was with him to Tyrell's place, they ride the elevator together since Sebastian is his key in ('come up, let's discuss this' is what Tyrell says on the intercom after Sebastian tells him Roy's chess move), it makes sense he kills him too, since he saw Roy kill Tyrell. Maybe not a killing spree, but he was sure out to get Tyrell, wasn't he? Sebastian was collateral damage.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the replicants also kill the engineer who was doing eyes?
I just re-watched that scene. They don't kill him and it is not implied in any shape or form that they killed him. Roy asks where we can find Sebastian and the scene ends.

Roy kills Tyrell. Sebastian is alive standing there. Roy has done his mission. There is no need for him to kill Sebastian.

It just hurts the movie a little if we suppose he did and his final saving of Deckard. Roy's story as I see it is that he is not a normal bad guy going around killing people. They wanted to live longer than 4 years. At the end with Deckard he was trying to give him a lesson, to make him understand how it feels to live in fear.

Roy shouldn't care if Sebastian saw him killing Tyrell. Roy has a short life span and he knew he was going to die soon.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I just re-watched that scene. They don't kill him and it is not implied in any shape or form that they killed him. Roy asks where we can find Sebastian and the scene ends.

Roy kills Tyrell. Sebastian is alive standing there. Roy has done his mission. There is no need for him to kill Sebastian.

It just hurts the movie a little if we suppose he did and his final saving of Deckard. Roy's story as I see it is that he is not a normal bad guy going around killing people. They wanted to live longer than 4 years. At the end with Deckard he was trying to give him a lesson, to make him understand how it feels to live in fear.

Roy shouldn't care if Sebastian saw him killing Tyrell. Roy has a short life span and he knew he was going to die soon.
Well, if not Roy, who killed Sebastian? There was noone else in the room. Roy was going to die soon even when he was killing Tyrell, and that didn't stop him. Also, Sebastian was also going to die soon (methusalem's syndrome, premature ageing), presumably Roy knew (although we only see Sebastian telling Pris).
Off-world, although user generated, agrees: http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/J.F._Sebastian

Here is another interesting discussion on the subject: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/45696/why-does-roy-batty-kill-tyrell-and-j-f-sebastian

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Did you miss the shot where he starts moving towards Sebastian, who then begins backing off and looking for a way out? I'm sorry, but if you don't think that Roy killed both Sebastian and the eye engineer you're simply misinterpreting both of those scenes.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Did you miss the shot where he starts moving towards Sebastian, who then begins backing off and looking for a way out? I'm sorry, but if you don't think that Roy killed both Sebastian and the eye engineer you're simply misinterpreting both of those scenes.
Good point about Sebastian obviously behaving as though his life is threatened.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not only that, but soon after Roy kills Tyrell and threatens Sebastian, we learn that Sebastian has been found dead in Tyrell's apartment. Who ELSE could have killed him (and why) if not Roy?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not only that, but soon after Roy kills Tyrell and threatens Sebastian, we learn that Sebastian has been found dead in Tyrell's apartment. Who ELSE could have killed him (and why) if not Roy?
Not only was there no one else with motivation to kill Sebastian, no one else could have had physical access to Tyrrell's apartment, since it was a secure building.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got out of a packed screening of The Final Cut. It was full enough that I had to sit in the 2nd row. This is part of a June series of non-Lucasfilm Harrison Ford Films. Next week is 2049, last week was Air Force One, and the 27th is Clear and Present Danger. Tonight's presentation was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks