What's new

Blade runner - Please!! (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey mark -
i should also apologize. i hope i didn't sound like too much of a jerk...
in any case, i agree that there's lots of mis-information, but i think that most of us here usually catch and fix those kinds of issues.
have a good one man...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I hope we have choices on what version we would like to see on the new dvd.
I liked most of the narration & though while not great, it did add to the noir atmosphere of the film & worked. I really loved the final bit during Batty's death & it lacks the punch without the narration.
My dream BR dvd would be to include via-seamless branching or multi disc...all the versions of the movie, along with the option to watch whatever version with or without the narration. Also the new dvd better be the uncut version with the addional violence. It wasn't cut for ratings reasons, but to please test audiences! So put it back in!
I prefer the 'DC" ending with the elevator doors slamming shut. It really packs a punch after the last line of Edward James Olmos charecter....."it's to bad she won't live,but then again,who does?" or something like that. Though i miss the narration! The happy ending is REALLY out of place,though isn't horrible. Mainly HF's last bit of narration helps it,but it really should'nt be in the movie in the first place. Studio's never learn!
btw- i read the book by Paul Sammon mentioned above & it's a great book. Definatly recomended reading!!! As for the narration...it's mentinoed that 4 different tracks where recored & the studio used the "worst" one. So who knows,maybe the other narrations may be better?

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I always hated the narration even when I was a kid. It made me feel like I was watching an episode of Mike Hammer or something. If they do release the studio version it should probably be on a separate disc with an Alan Smithee credit. To be honest I don't see how they could combine them by seemless branching because the audio would be different. I'll be happy to finally see Ridley Scotts original vision for this film. Anyway, that's all I wanted say. This DVD is definitely on my "must buy" list.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
The unicorn scene is integral to what happens
at the end of the film with a certain piece of
folded paper and what that implies about Deckard.
Yes, it seems the director did feel it was necessary, and hence it was put there. However, nonetheless I still don't like it
wink.gif
and felt that certain implications (although more subtle) were already in the movie.
By the way, Tsing-tao. Is that supposed to be Tsing-tao beer? (It was not beer in the movie.)
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I want the original theatrical version, cheesy ending and all. This is the one I grew up with. I was very disappointed with the directors cut when I saw it in the theater.
Jeff

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Mark, I'm with you all the way, man! (That's why I keep my chill pill prescription updated -- for "Blade Runner" threads!
wink.gif
) Your recommendation of "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" by Paul M. Sammon is right on target, and I think anyone who calls himself a serious fan of this film would enjoy the book tremendously. It's my favorite book about filmmaking, and I've got a bunch.
Can't lose the unicorn scene, I don't think, without damaging the film's ability to make its point. At least that's my humble opinion, but obviously it's Mr. Scott's as well.
While I would rather have the film without the redundant (and poorly written and delivered, for the most part) narration that describes what we can already see for ourselves, I agree with Christina that the little bit of narration associated with Batty's death is worth keeping.
You know what? I would pay a lot of money for a multiple-disc set that included several cuts of the film, including the workprint discussed in "Future Noir," the original theatrical cut, the so-called director's cut as previously released and a true, honest to goodness director's final cut that has no compromise of Mr. Scott's vision.
Even with those cut, that's still leaving out the European cut that was similar to the domestic theatrical cut but with a bit more violence. Perhaps those shots would be included in my hoped-for ultimate cut.
At any rate, I doubt such a massive DVD set would be brought to market. At the least, I'd like a two-disc set with the original theatrical cut, a tweaked director's cut and bonus materials (including that great European documentary I've heard so much about but have never seen).
Charlie, I printed out your statements from a while back about what may be coming in the future DVD, and I'm keeping the printout inside my copy of "Future Noir"! I'm looking forward to what you guys do...
Meanwhile, I have the theatrical cut on Criterion LD (CLV only, unfortunately) and the director's cut on LD and DVD. Still hoping for the utimate Blade Runner on home video...
------------------
Mike Brantley
Our Theater:
Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
By the time this SE reaches the market, the anticipation will be so overwhelming it will be hard to meet our expectations!
It would be great to have all versions on one disc. Whatever happens, this MUST be a 2 disc set in order to get all the supplements that this great film deserves!
The sound on the current disc is horrific! The video transfer itself isn't horrible (in terms of color and sharpness), but the amount of dirt/scratches is amazing! I don't think I have any other DVD with this much dirt in the transfer! They have a lot of work to do to clean this up!
Anticipating this one...

So the big question for me now is what do I do with my Ridley Scott autographed snapper case Director's Cut when I buy the new one?
------------------

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mike,
Actually, my "chill pill" of choice is Kava.
wink.gif

The thing I love about Future Noir:
The Making of Blade Runner

is that it is a book you can read
just via the index to get the information
about scenes/issues you are curious about.
What to know about the scenes lifted from
The Shining? Just look in the index!
I actually did that, and then read other parts,
like the unicorn thing, because I originally thought
it had been lifted from outtakes from Legend,
which is a common assumption..and an easy one to make.
Then I read about the voice-over stuff, which
is not very clearcut, since Ridley wasn't origianlly
opposed to doing it...but he wanted clever voice over,
not what we got stuck with.
Before long, I had realized I had read the whole book!
Personally, I am eager to see the scene in the
hospital between Deckard and Holden..glad they
found the audio.
As far as the voice over goes, I too grew up with it,
and did like the last bits with Roy, but I still
much prefer the slapdash pseudo "director's cut."
Too bad Criterion can't get ahold of the project:
They could do what they did with Brazil:
a producers' cut
and a director's cut.
:)
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on October 22, 2001 at 08:34 PM]

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Learned something here tonight....
I'd always thought the "happy ending" shot was from Continental Divide.

Jo_C

Second Unit
I too would like to have the theatrical edit as an option (or even the original international theatrical edit Criterion released on LaserDisc).
This, of course, brings up the issue of who owns the rights to whatever material on "Blade Runner" there is.
When "Blade Runner" first became available on home video, the rights reverted to Embassy Pictures (they had a stake in the film at the time), which is how we got the international cut in the first place. As you know, Embassy split into separate entities later through the years, and the last time the theatrical edit was available on video it was through New Line Home Video.
Only recently has Warner bought all rights back to "Blade Runner", and last year they made the original version available to television. Columbia/Tri-Star previously had the television rights since they owned television rights to the Embassy library.
I hope Warner does a good job with this definitive edition of "Blade Runner".
------------------
hips
SUPERMAN Web Central
http://www.geocities.com/hiphats/supmain.html

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Id just like to have the version Ridley Scott would have wanted.
The unicorn didnt imply that,
Spoiler:it was integral to that, but it implied that Gaff could only have know what Deckard was thinking if he was also a replicant
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 23, 2001 at 03:36 AM]
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 23, 2001 at 03:37 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks