What's new

Blade Runner 5-disc [Blu-Ray] Specs? (1 Viewer)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
My apologies if this has been asked before, or if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I just ordered the 5-disc set for the upcoming Blade Runner release, and decided to go with Blu-Ray over DVD. My question is, do we know what are the specs for the Blu-Ray set? As in, uncompressed audio, transfer resolution and size (GB), etc. I just want to make sure the Blu-Ray set is a better choice over the DVD set (which seems obvious I know).

I appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
As far as I'm concerned the specs are "HD video and audio and you don't have to pay an extra $50 for a box of tchotchkies." ;)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Can someone verify that the Blu-ray release is the same as the HD-DVD? I originally preordered the HD-DVD, but since I went format neutral this past week, I'm thinking of switching to Blu-ray. (I don't want to get into the BD vs. HD-DVD argument, I just want to make sure that both formats have the exact same features.) Thanks in advance.

Mark

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
I believe they are the same. I too switched my amazon order to blu ray after going format neutral. The ONLY reason I did this is that my PS3 makes less noise than my XBOX 360 connected to my jet engine of a HTPC. I find the images from both equally appealing.

ej

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I believe it's actually 3 BDs and 2 DVDs from what I've read.

The 3 BDs are:
1) The Final Cut
2) The Theatricals (both international and censored U.S. cut) and Director's Cut using seamless branching
3) The Workprint

The bad news: Only the Final Cut and the Workprint have lossless audio, the other disc uses DD 640kbps (DD+ 640kbps on HD-DVD) and supposedly there is quite a bit of difference in sound quality. Strange that the Workprint would get much better sound than the original theatrical cuts. One review I read said it had to do with technical limitations with HD-DVD's bandwidth using seamless branching. I'm not claiming this is true but it is an interesting theory and quite possible since the other 2 discs have lossless.

Other than the sound on the one disc, reviews have been outstanding. I can't wait to get it!

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
here is all you need, the back cover of the BD set ;)

all versions are 1080p, with only the new final cut having Dolby TrueHD, others are DD

-Gary

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Interesting. I'm positive the review I read said that the workprint had TrueHD. Now I can't find the review.....oh well.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't get much more official than that.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Interesting I didn't know there is DVDs in the BD set. They should have used less DVDs and put them on a BD.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm sure this is so they do not have to author separate discs for BD and HD-DVD, they just use the same DVDs across all three formats.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
ONLY the Final Cut is getting subtitles? WTF?

Wait, I think I'm reading that wrong. . .English French and Spanish for everything else and the second line for the Final Cut?

RogerR

Grip
I lucked out this morning. I was at my local Big Box retailer and they had inadvertently put two Blu-Ray copies (w/o briefcase) of this on the shelf. Since that is my HD format of choice (as of last week, when I bought my first HD player), I snatched one up. I haven't had a chance to go through anything yet, other than taking off the shrink wrap.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone get the feeling that the Blade Runner BDs are single-layer BDs since they are using the same audio as on the HD DVD versions?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I would think that the one disc that has all the branching versions of the film on it will probably fill up a 30 gig HD DVD, so that one at least will probably have to be a 50 gig blu-ray. Although you never know, they could be five gigs shy of filling up an HD DVD.

Doug

Robert George

Screenwriter

Your comment about how large the file size of disc 3, the one with three versions of the movie, of the Blade Runner set. That's how much space is used.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, so much for being a definitive set, but it is probably the best we'll see for the forseeable future, especially if sales are anemic. I'll probably be getting this, but I'm rather disappointed in some of the choices that were made, for example the lack of lossless tracks on the theatrical cuts of this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks