What's new

Black Hawk Down: Superbit.....Due June 15th (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Definitely. Doing some A/B tests between it and the DD track blew me away. I thought the DD track was good, but the DTS track has much better range and clarity. Hell of a track, and well worth the money (picking up the Korean version, that is).

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor

And we can wait for the unrated version too... But I might rent it until that time...:D

This is out and out stupid. I loved this film, the DD was fantastic, and now this...

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i JUST bought the 3-dvd set. how is the picture quality on it?

does it seem like a dvd that would benefit from Superbit treatment?

So far I've sold/traded regular edition or SE's for the Superbit DESPERADO, HOLLOW MAN, FIFTH ELEMENT, CROUCHING TIGER, TOMMY and DRACULA.

Funny thing is I have held off on STARSHIP TROOPERS (my favorite of the lot) since i prefer the extra content on the Special Edition (i actually wasn't all that excited about any extras on the films I listed above as buying on Superbit, which is why i made the switch).

i'm on the fence about BLACK HAWK DOWN.....how are the extras on the 3-disc edition?

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I found that DD track on the original release of BHD somewhat lacking in the LFE department. Gunfire and explosions sounded hollow to me compared to Saving Private Ryan or even the Matrix... I'm hoping the new DTS track will rectify this...

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
As far as extras go, this is one of the best if not thee best special editions out there, in terms of the quality and amount of extras. You get a documentary about hte makign of the movie that is longer than the film itself, clocking in at 2 and a half hours. You also get two more documentaries, one from Frontline and one from the History Channel, each of them run nearly and hour and a half. Plus you get 3 commentaries from the director, producer, writers, and actual task force Ranger vets. Also, deleted and alternate scenes, trailers, tv spots, multi angle features, q & a sessions, plus more. And its all great.

You would be hard pressed to find a more better produced DVD set out there.

I had the R1 3-disc set, but sold it and bought the R3 4-Disc set. I listened to the commentaries and although they were excellent, I usually don't listen to commentaries more than once. The 4-disc set is the clear winner in th Audio/Video department. The picture quality, although slightly improved, is noticeably better on this versionb, although only those with larger sets will truly know the differences.

The DTS track is among the best I have ever heard, period. The LFE and surround activity is extremely enveloping and stunning, especially in the scenes with helicopters or in explosions. Gunfire sounds sharper, but keep in mind that the sound design did not intend for them to have a huge impact in the LFE department, ala SPR. But nonetheless sound phenomenal.

I would recommend the Korean 4-Disc set in a heartbeat, if you are looking to upgrade to a Superbit title but don't want to lose the extras. Plus, it plays in Region 1 players!!!

Granted you do sacrifice the 3 commentaries, but it is worth it IMO. Plus, you also get the CD soundtrack which is the 4th disc, plus better covert art than what we have had before with the 1 and 3-disc sets. This link below will go to the thread I had before with a more detailed review of the film and the A/V quality. Hope this all helps.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=180495

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The R1 3d was a very underrated release last year that deserved a bit more attention in our annual poll. There is not a flaw to be found. All the extras relevent. If I purchased the SB, we're talking triple-dip! I don't see the point, I absolutely love last year's R1 3D set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks