What's new

Black Hawk Down: SE (1 Viewer)

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, for what it's worth, I had trouble playing the BHD 3-disc special edition on my Toshiba SD-3109 earlier in this thread and it appears my player is now unable to load any discs, so this was not a BHD specific problem.

Having said that, I've been watching these discs on my PC (until I get a new DVD player) and have to say this is an absolutely terrific special edition. Easily well worth the purchase even if you already own the bare bones original release. I really wanted this film, so I'm glad it was worthwhile to hold off on buying until now. The two and a half hour "Making of" feature was one of the best behind the scenes films I've seen, and it's organization into several accessible chapters made it easy to watch in sections. The timeline feature helped to clarify the overall picture of events, and the History Channel and Frontline documentaries are exactly what you want to explore after watching the film. A great, great job on this disc!

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Anyone notice the hilarious goof in the Powerpoint presentation the Rangers were using at the actor's "Ranger Orientation"? The real Rangers were giving a lecture on a concept called "Violence of Action". But projected on the screen in the classroom was:

[c]VIOLENCE OF[/c]
[c]OF[/c]
[c]ACTION[/c]

Thankfully, they fight better than they prepare class materials. By the way, this is in the "Crash Course" documentary on disc 2.

Also, on the "Getting it Right" documentary, did anyone notice that Ewan MacGreggor was quite obviously ripping into George Lucas a bit, even though he doesn't mention him by name. Particularly when he talks about how Ridley knows exactly what he wants the film to look like, and is basically editting while he's filming, whereas "other directors I've worked with" will shoot 100 different pieces of coverage for a scene because they "really don't know what they want the final product to look like". Considering the miles and miles of videotape Lucas shot for Episode II, which then took about a year just to edit, it's pretty clear who Ewan is talking about.

-Lyle J.P.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Hmmmmm, I wonder what Ewan would've thought of working with Stanley Kubrick if he'd gotten the chance? I guess some directors have a better sense of economical filmmaking.

Let's hope he doesn't get fired by you-know-who. He's a great Obi-Wan!

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Great set. Also, it was wonderful to have a seamless layer change. Hope Columbia uses this on all their new releases. Adaptation also had one.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Danny_Tam

Agent
Where as the layer change? Was it the scene where one of the Rangers spots his friend's dismembered hand on the ground? It paused slightly but I couldn't tell if it was done in editing or what.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Where as the layer change? Was it the scene where one of the Rangers spots his friend's dismembered hand on the ground? It paused slightly but I couldn't tell if it was done in editing or what.
No, that was done intentionally--I remember that pause vividly while watching it in the theater.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, that pause showing the dismembered hand was intentional. To answer a previous question, the picture and sound quality are the same as the previous release of BHD.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
You're not stepping on my toes, Declan. I hate the "big head Josh" cover! :)

I've created several custom DVD covers myself, so it's always fun to see what other people come up with.

Declan

Second Unit
Cheers Charlie...... it would be great to see some of your own takes of the cover.

Might photoshop one up for myself, always loved the original cover of the disc that was used as the original r1 and the r2 art. Cant stand "Big head" covers either. HMV did a really cool looking special edition cover with white black hawks matted onto a completely black background slipcase when the r2 SpEd came out last September. Really looked the part that one.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I really liked some of the poster concept art on disc 3. Particularly the one showing the shadow of the helicopter against the sand dune. Too bad that (or something like it) wasn't the cover art for the special edition.

I'm almost finished going through the entire set (I just have the writer's commentary track left). One feature I enjoyed that few others have mentioned was the multi-angle insertion sequence. It was pretty interesting since you could see the Rangers throw a dummy soldier out of one of the helicopters. It also made me further appreciate Pietro Scalia's outstanding editing.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The layer change occurs between two lines of dialog and it is indeed seamless like a lot of the Superbit titles. Nice touch, Charlie & team. :emoji_thumbsup:

It occurs in the chapter before the second helicopter goes down right after Sam Shepard (IIRC) asks a question about Strueker's vehicle(s). I don't have it in front of me, so I can't give you the exact time (or line).

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks