What's new

Black Hawk Down: SE (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The History Channel documentary looks like it was shot in 1.78:1 format. Was it? If it was, then why wasn't it enhanced for 16:9 sets? It looks better on my Toshiba set using Theatrewide 1 setting than with the Full setting.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Its too bad the documentaries are not in 16x9 widescreen. That would be my only complaint so far.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Charlie, thanks for the reply. The footage is an interesting inclusion and welcome in my book. It's a nice change of pace from shifting to the actual movie footage.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I made a mistake regarding the aspect ratio of the History Channel documentary. It was shot wider than I had originally posted. Too bad it was not 16:9 enhanced. The Frontline documentary looks like it was shot in a 4:3 ratio. Except for the lack of 16:9 enhancement on the History channel doc., the set was pretty good.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
find the plastic catchers that hold the discs pretty irritating, though.
I'll agree with that one. This is probably one of the worst sets in my collection as far as yielding up the dvd. I was seriously worried about the disc snapping in half when I removed it.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'll agree with that one. This is probably one of the worst sets in my collection as far as yielding up the dvd. I was seriously worried about the disc snapping in half when I removed it.
I didn't have any problems with these plastic holders like I do with some others. Push the center tab and they come out without any force at all.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Yeah, I certainly have other sets that have the same style holders, and they're not as bad (although definitely not my favorite style of holder). But for some reason, this particular set just didn't want to yield up the discs.

ToddJ

Second Unit
I actually got to meet Josh Hartnett the other day at a local MN premiere for his new movie. He was quite nice...very down to earth.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Well, thus far, this is the best DVD set of the year. Most of us might change our respective tunes when Towers comes out in Nov but this is an impressive set.

Happy to hear that the Ranger's commentary track has the ID subtitle feature. I'm for it! I would've been totally lost on the FOTR EE during the actor's track.

With regards to the packaging & the holders or "hubs", yeah they are somewhat of a pain. I wouldn't worry about breaking the disks unless you're impatient & try to remove them too fast. I'm actually more worried about breaking the hubs themselves. There's nothin' more annoyin' than a broken holder, I hate to think about the disk rolling free in the closed case, getting scratched! When I bought my copy of the Matrix the hub was already busted. And I admittedly screwed my Godfather 2 set when I dropped the bloody thing. All the little plastic points just disintegrated. BLEAH!

Declan

Second Unit
I think that this looks like being a triple dip for me now, original r1, sped r2.........ah my wallet is goin to get hit hard. But i've experinced 2/3 of the r1 SpEd from the R2, which was great BTW. looking forward to seeing some of the other docs as well, and yea I spotted those DV shots as well and wondered what the hell was goin on, thanks for clearing that up Charlie.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Never saw that trailer before. It's great, though the music choice was strange, conflicting violent images with a pretty upbeat song.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
That's the oldest trick in the book, often used for ironic effect (see also: A Clockwork Orange and Natural Born Killers). The trailer in question aimed more at reverence, though, but it's still very common to use contrasting music in a trailer - in fact, it seems that most action/adventure trailers have classical music playing over them (e.g. T3).

Danny_Tam

Agent
Thanks for the explanation. :)

Does anyone know what music was used in the scene where the D-Boys go on the safari hunt and descend on the wild boars? Was it just incidental music by Hans Zimmer or was it a snippet of a song?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks