What's new

Black Friday Shopping: What'd you do today? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I stayed home & hung sheetrock in my new house. Given the choice, I think it was easier than shopping. My wife went out about 8:00am. Went into a few stores and walked right back out after seeing the lines.
That is the reason I don't go into town & shop on BF. They need to change their system from a "first come - first served" on specials. Maybe release a few sale tickets every hour, or over the three day weekend. This would help spread out the shopping over a longer period of time. From a safety standpoint, I wonder if these stores are over capacity.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I scored the 51" Hitachi at Best Buy for 699

I was going to get the 56" Toshiba DLP but they ran out before we checked out(I had planned to get the Hitachi anyway)

The disappointing part is we have a BB less than 15 miles from the house that is new, we bypassed that one and went to one further away because I knew they had they Hitachi's(there was a line of about 2,000 people there) where as the other one come to find out had a line of about 200 and had the Toshiba late yesterday evening.

All in all the Hitachi is my first HD set, loving playing Xbox 360 in 1080i

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

DaveF - For the TV I shopped online Thursday morning, around 9 AM PST. Everyhting else was done throughout the day - I had no real plans on going anywhere this year - especially since I live about 2 hrs away from any major retail area nowadays.

But I did go to my Military PX (AAFES) midnight madness sale - and that was indeed - madness! Even for such a small post that I'm on (Fort Irwin, CA)...I guess everyone else decided to stay here as well. Not that many good deals there though, the 2 things I purchased (HP laptop & HP printer/scanner/copier) are actually going to be returned - can find better deals online. :)

I thought the Panny 52" that I ordered was a pretty nice deal, the $979 I paid was after tax and with a 10% Off coupon that I had.

BTW, if anyone is interested, it's still showing $999 + tax right now on CircuitCity.com...

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
We didn't have a Black Monday in Canada, but I did buy a couple of tid-bits. A Samsung Syncmaster 940BF LCD monitor and a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950 USB ATSC receiver. All I need is a better antenna, and I'll finally receive the two local HDTV channels, both from the CBC.

I bought both of them at CompuSmart in Philips Square. Funny thing though. The Interac went down throughout the city, so I couldn't buy it right away. But after comparison shopping at FutureShop, I went back to CompuSmart and everything was working again. There was only one person ahead of me in the line-up and they were just leaving.

Very decent screen. And the HDTV looks nice, but I suspect the USB dongle doesn't resolve the entire resolution of HDTV. I won't know for sure until I get a better antenna and watch "Tout le monde en parle" tomorrow night.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

The one near me is located near Gwinnett Place mall, just east of Sears (corner of I-85 and Pleasant Hill Rd.).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't do BF, but still got some great deals on Saturday and the stores seemed practically empty (good parking places, short lines).

The $9.99 X-Men 3 DVD seemed to be everywhere. I was initially worried about getting one from Best Buy if I waited until Saturday, but later found out that FYE and Kmart also had them at the same price. FYE had some great sales (never seen that before), and I scored Monster House at BJ's for only $6.99. :emoji_thumbsup:

I was happy, and still got to sleep-in on Friday AM. :D

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
So I didnt just sit at home all day, I allowed the wife, kids and their girlfriend/boy friend to drag me around all day.
Got up and 5 am and was in stores by 6 am.
Got home at 5 pm.

Got some great deals and was highly entertained all day long by the other shoppers.

Actually saw one person that used their cell phone for some good for a change instead of normal bullsh*t, which is the majority of what people use them for. His wife was at another mall and they were grabbing the better deals per mall they were at.
Then you had the entertainment of just some real sad people.
Freaks like Goth's all over, women whom have lost their shape and sadly so, dressed like 16 year olds, 9 year olds trying to look like 20 year olds and men really stuck in mid life crisis, strutting around, sucking their stomachs in and pushing their chests out only to be caught.

Sales people whom dont know anything about the products they offer, electronic stores outweighing anything else. But I'll give a big fat round of applause to one older gentlemen at Sears. As I played dumb at all the stores about Audio/Video and told them money was no ******, he came straight out and said. DONT BUY THIS SONY CRAP and most of the other named high cost crap. And he did say crap thats over priced and over hyped!!!!

A great 12 hour entertainment reminder why I moved to semi country!!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After reading Adam's comments, I wonder if Circuit City just doesn't know how to manage BF sales. That seems oddd -- it's not like this is a new phenomenon, or they can't just walk across the street to Best Buy to learn how to properly organize the crowds.

To JohnADA's people-watching: My "line-mates" said they saw a woman tried to cut in, and when told the line starts way-back-there, replied "But I'm pregnant." They told her she could cut when she was giving birth, but until then, to the back of the line. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I still laugh at the phrase "muffin tops" to describe those women/girls who are overweight and wear midriff-revealing shirts. I continue to marvel at why they would want to do this...but I suspect I have fallen completely OT.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I walked into Best Buy at 10am, walked over to where I had hidden a copy of The Office Season One behind some Zathura DVDs 2 days earlier (when I found out it would be on sale for $10), got in line and paid in 15 minutes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's just one of those fetishes I couldn't possibly understand...

My guess is that Best Buy has better instructions and planning coming from the higher ups. My guess is also that Circuit City has NO instructions and planning coming from the higher ups. It seems like the only logical explanation.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Got up at 8 to get to the out of the way pet store by 9 to pick up some new Betta fish then home where I stayed for the rest of the day.

No way I was venturing out there anytime this past weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks