What's new

Black Dynamite (1 Viewer)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Black Dynamite

Following in the footsteps of films like "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka", "Black Dynamite" is a spoof on the "Blaxploitation" films of the 70's, but in my opinion, looks a lot more authentic and interesting.

On a podcast I do, my co-host and I were discussing how we felt that the film stole from Rudy Ray Moore's "Dolemite", while completely omitting Moore's film from the History Of Blaxploitation section of it's official website.

In all honesty, we kind of trashed the creator for what we felt was a blatant theft.

Well, a few weeks later, we were contacted by the writer/director Scott Sanders, who said that he wanted to come on to the podcast to discuss the matter.
Scott was an incredibly cool guy and I really enjoyed talking to him about the film and other things that he's done.

I thought that some of you may enjoy the interview.
Here's a link to our Podcast Alley page where you can grab the interview, and for those with iTunes, just search ZZZCast.

*Explicit Language For Those Easily Offended*
ZZZlist ZZZCast Radio on PodcastAlley.com -- The place to find Podcasts

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
After watching the red band trailer, I will definitely check this one out. Looks pretty funny and even though Michael Jai White was terrible in Spawn (who wasn't though), this looks like a fun role to see him in.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the red band trailer was great.

all the OOOHS from the punches and screams sound just like the old movies.

i love undercover brother and im gonna get you sucka so i think i'll definately see this in the theater if i can get some friends to go

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For the most part, "Black Dynamite" is a hilarious send-up of the blaxploitation genre, but the film is filled with peaks and valleys, meaning, when it's funny it's really funny, while the valleys come from the transitions from scene to scene at times, but overall, I got a lot of big laughs, laughs I haven't had at the cinema in quite a while, so it gets a recommendation from me. The plot is kind of loopy, but you just roll with it because the film swings for the fences, and connected on more swings than it misses.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I wish I was able to see it, but it isn't released in Cleveland. Is there supposed to be a wide release of this sometime?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I can't think of a single blaxploitation movie that I've seen in full, so I may have missed some of the in-jokes. I also have little interest in recent mainstream comedy films. But Black Dynamite is the funniest movie I've seen in a while. There were some slower parts, but it didn't drag like Wedding Crashers.

I also agree with Ebert's review: we need more gratuitous nudity in movies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Ken Chan

I can't think of a single blaxploitation movie that I've seen in full, so I may have missed some of the in-jokes. I also have little interest in recent mainstream comedy films. But Black Dynamite is the funniest movie I've seen in a while. There were some slower parts, but it didn't drag like Wedding Crashers.

I also agree with Ebert's review: we need more gratuitous nudity in movies.
Wedding Crashers?
Odd movie to compare it to.

Anyway I saw a trailer for this on a blu-ray last week and it looks like a riot.
White looks huge in this like he was blown up like a balloon.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Wedding Crashers, a sorta-recent mainstream comedy movie that I saw. Not only did Black Dynamite not drag, but it was funnier.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wedding Crashers came out in 2005 (I was shocked it'd be that long ago).

I thought BD had some dead spots, but still funnier when you think back on some of the scenes.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
This is playing in my area this week, so I was finally able to see it. 3.5 out of 5 for me. The beginning had me laughing constantly, but slowed in the middle, while picking up again toward the end just not as frequently as the beginning. I thought it was very well made and the attention to detail was spot on where they poked fun at bad editing, continuity, acting, dialogue, plot, etc. I'll watch this again when it's available on blu-ray.

Now if I were to rate the theater that's showing the movie, 3 out of 10. The screen size seemed to be the same size as mine at home! It may have been close to 100" as opposed to my 92", but since I sit a lot closer at home, my screen seemed as big if not bigger. And I can say that my PQ and SQ are miles ahead. $9 a ticket is too much for this theater. However, maybe I should add points to the rating as this rinky dink theater is probably the perfect atmosphere to watch this film in. I didn't go to the concession stand, but I hear they serve beer so that's a plus for some I guess. :) I probably shouldn't complain because this is a little art house theater that plays movies no one else does. However, I think I've spoiled myself, with the help of this forum, of course. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks