What's new

Black Christmas in Full frame ? why? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I read the specs for the dvd Black Christmas that it is being released only in full frame, not in widescreen.
the laserdisc that was released in 1999 by Warner was a widescreen version. Why aren't they doing this for the DVD?
Can someone shed some light on this.
peace-

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The film was shot full frame. The widescreen laserdisc was wrong. I should know seeing how this is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The laser disc was not necessarily wrong. The film was indeed shot full frame but exhibited with a mat which depending on the projection varied anywhere between 1.66:1 to 1.85:1. What you get on the DVD is the full frame, not the theatrical aspect ratio since that varied depending on where you saw it!

Will K

Screenwriter
Warner's laserdisc is matted to the theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Warner has yet to do their own DVD version and apparently the existing DVD releases are both open matte. Hopefully one day, they will realize the movie for the classic it is and give us a nice 16x9 remaster.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
On the package there is a sticker that reads: "About the transfer: BLACK CHRISTMAS was digitally restored and all information exposed on the original negative was transferred to a full-screen ratio of 1.33:1. While this transfer is not letterboxed, no information is cropped and the film's compositional sense is not marred. As the film screened theatrically in various cropped frame sizes, we felt it appropriate to release the full image as it was originally shot 25 years ago."

On a 16X9 TV, it can be zoomed to fill the screen and the crop seems to look fine.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Okay, maybe wrong was too strong a word. Anyhow, if it was shot fullframe, that is how I want to see it presented, plain and simple.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Anyhow, if it was shot fullframe, that is how I want to see it presented, plain and simple.
Your heart is certainly in the right place, but I think you might be a bit misguided in this endeavor. The way a particular film is shot is not always a good indicator of the proper framing. When you go to a theater and see a film with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, there is a good chance it was actually shot full frame. The movie was composed for the matted widescreen exhibition, and was INTENDED to be cropped as such.

I don't know enough about Black Christmas to say anything about its transfer, but I'm afraid that (unfortunately) the issue really isn't as "plain and simple" as you make it out to be.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
On the package there is a sticker that reads: "About the transfer: BLACK CHRISTMAS was digitally restored and all information exposed on the original negative was transferred to a full-screen ratio of 1.33:1. While this transfer is not letterboxed, no information is cropped and the film's compositional sense is not marred. As the film screened theatrically in various cropped frame sizes, we felt it appropriate to release the full image as it was originally shot 25 years ago."
Holy crap, they actullay put someting on the package that informs the consumer about a technical issue they knew would raise questions. Big had of applause from me.

Kyle

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Apprecinate the info. fellas. I'll probably rent this one first since I've never seen it. I am big horror fan. If I like it I'll purchase.

L8tr,

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks