What's new

Black and White on Windows 2000 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can't seem to get Black and White to work on Windows 2000 Professional. I have service pack 2 and the compatibility updates. I have also run the official patch for Black and white. The game professeses to be compatible with W2k, but whenever I submit for support, I get a canned FAQ response with a promise of a follow up in 48 hours. I have contacted them complaining that I don't get the follow up, but haven't received a response from that. The game functioned just fine on Windows 98 when that was my opsys. The only advice the FAQ gives is to make sure I'm as Service Pack 1. Anyone have any experience of advice?
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
John,
Are you getting any type of error message? Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling? What are your PC specs?
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Dean,
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I guess I posted too quickly. The game installs without errors. When I run the game, it flashes black upon the screen, then minimizes, and closes the application. There are no other applications with this problem (The other games I tend to use include The Sims, and Diablo II).
My PC is as follows:
Micron Millenia
  • Athlon 1GHZ
  • 40MB Hard Drive
  • CD R/W 12/24
  • DVD ROM
  • 128 DDR SDRAM
  • SB Live 5.1 Card
  • Video Card on System Board
  • Windows 2000
  • Service Pack 2
  • Compatibility Updates
  • Critical Updates
Also, with regards to the specs - this is the same system that Windows 98 was running on, and the game ran without problem.
------------------

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to add that I have uninstalled and reinstalled under 2 different accounts with administrative rights to the PC. I've also tried installing it from the DVD drive as well as the CDRW.
------------------

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
John,
I am not positive (I'll check when I get home), but I think there might be a patch for Black and White to run in Win 2k.
I'll get back to you.
-Dean-

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
usually when a game flashes on the screen then just dissapears, it's a video card problem. Try updating the video card drivers to something that is compatable with win2k.
Also, onboard video is always bad news as far as i'm concerned. :)
cheers!
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks