What's new

BioWare's Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk Are Retiring (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Maybe they put out the Dragon Age III announcement-news yesterday to build up some goodwill because of this:
http://kotaku.com/5944287/bioware-founders-ray-muzkya-and-greg-zeschuk-both-retiring
EA has a list of kills in their name bigger than Carlos Hathcock. The benefit of the doubt does not exist, as far as they're concerned.
I just really hope the story went like this -- BioWare founders know they're nearing retirement from the games industry, sell the company to EA so it'll live on, and stick around for a bit to smooth the transition -- rather than like this -- BioWare founders have no plan to retire from the games industry, sell the company to EA, and then are slowly beaten into submission by the bottom-dollar-oriented corporate behemoth.
As a huge fan of many of their games, both versions of the story are sad, but only one of them is actually painful.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, I liked their blog post. I tend to think it's a mix of both. They sold hoping to do one thing, then the combination of having F-U money and dealing with the behemoth meant it was easier to just move on and do a beer blog.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Tycho over at Penny Arcade had a couple of interesting tweets about this:
Khoo and I looked at the date of the Bioware buyout/today's announcement. Probably isn't a coincidence that it's almost 5 years exactly.
As somebody with a company people are always trying to buy, this is almost textbook. Acquisition with a five year "backend" payout.
My hopes were that they would step up and right the ship. Shame, but they earned a nice retirement. Thanks, EA. Get ready for "Mass Effect: Spectre Warfare," everybody.
(Seriously, this news sucks ass...no wonder Obsidian went Kickstarter for its new project.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks