What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
While it's probably a longshot, I'm hoping Universal springs for 5.1 audio remixes. But what I'd really love is for Uni to release these shows as the first of their "classic TV" on Blu-ray. They were 100% shot and posted on 35mm film (except for the three "reunion" movies), so they should look fantastic on Blu-ray (think Star Trek.)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Snippets from an email I received today from Kenneth Johnson:

"I'm delighted to report that all the episodes of the two Bionic series will be released on DVD later this year. The Six Million Dollar Man will be done by Time-Life and my original series, The Bionic Woman, will be released by Universal. I will be recording a full length commentary for both my Ghosthunter and Doomsday is Tomorrow episodes. There are numerous additional special features in the works. Details will be at my web site when available. I know that all of the Bionic fans are as pleased as I am that the shows are finally going to be out on DVD."
Here's KJ's web link: kennethjohnson.us/
It seems odd that Uni would split the distribution method for the two shows. Hopefully, all three cross-over episodes will be presented properly within both releases. I'm extremely encouraged by Kenny's comments about "numerous special features" being "in the works". I've already offered him access to my extensive collection of materials from the shows. He told me he'll pass along the offer to the producers of the DVDs next week.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677215
I'd bet Oscar's secret vault records that Lindsay will be doing interviews for extras :)
Maybe she'll throw in a sleep number mattress ad as an extra /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have to admit I'm a bit bummed about SMDM being rented out to Time/Life because it will undoubtedly carry a higher than normal price tag. But regardless of this I'm sure I'll pick this set up at some point.
Gary "I figured those shouts of joy I heard were coming from your place, Jeff" O. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677227
I have to admit I'm a bit bummed about SMDM being rented out to Time/Life because it will undoubtedly carry a higher than normal price tag. But regardless of this I'm sure I'll pick this set up at some point.
Gary "I figured those shouts of joy I heard were coming from your place, Jeff" O. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif
Start saving your "Mad Money"!/img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
Gary "I figured those shouts of joy I heard were coming from your place, Jeff" O.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattHR /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677201
Hopefully, all three cross-over episodes will be presented properly within both releases.
As long as they're presented as originally aired (i.e. with the proper opening/ending credits to the series they originally went out (i.e. "Kill Oscar part 2" as a Six Million Dollar Man episode) and with nothing edited out (retaining the "to be continued...on The Bionic Woman caption instead of fading to black, for instance), then I'll be satisfied, whether or not they include all the episodes on both releases or not.
One other benefit that no one has mentioned (but I'm sure many are aware of)...no PAL speedup.
Let's just hope that whoever is in charge of selecting the masters knows what they're doing, as there's a lot of potential for screw-ups in selecting the wrong versions of some episodes, since some originally aired in movie-length, some originally as multi-part, etc. and if that person isn't knowledgeable enough, they'll take advantage of the knowledge of a "super-fan", perhaps.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677241
As long as they're presented as originally aired (i.e. with the proper opening/ending credits to the series they originally went out (i.e. "Kill Oscar part 2" as a Six Million Dollar Man episode) and with nothing edited out (retaining the "to be continued...on The Bionic Woman caption instead of fading to black, for instance), then I'll be satisfied, whether or not they include all the episodes on both releases or not. Let's just hope that whoever is in charge of selecting the masters knows what they're doing, as there's a lot of potential for screw-ups in selecting the wrong versions of some episodes, since some originally aired in movie-length, some originally as multi-part, etc. and if that person isn't knowledgeable enough, they'll take advantage of the knowledge of a "super-fan", perhaps.
I posted the following response to a similar concern over at the yahoo bionicfans site:
They'd better be. I've made every effort to make sure the people involved at Universal are well aware of the show's history -- specifically regarding the cross-overs and SMDM's pilot eps. For the most part, Universal has been fairly accurate with their TV show releases...at least in the U.S. International releases are another matter. We all know the syndication versions were used for all foreign releases, with the rare exception of the Mexican SMDM Season One featuring the proper pilot eps in their original "movie" format.
One example of fan intervention (including myself) that prevented Universal from making a similar blunder on a related show was their "The Rockford Files" Season One set. Like SMDM, the original pilot movie was a 90-minute "movie", later edited and "padded" with filler to form two parts for syndication. It was the two-part version that was set to be utilized for the DVD release, until fans informed Uni about the issue. They decided to release the set sans pilot, so they could locate the proper elements for the "movie" version. It was then
presently properly on the Season Two release. Better late than never...or in its bastardized version.
So, we can't assume the folks involved in the studios' DVD production have a clue about the shows they're working on. I'd bet most of these people weren't even born when the shows were originally aired. At this stage of the game, with as much time as they've had -- not to mention the amount of fan input/suggestion/begging/demanding, etc. -- there's really no excuse for them to release anything but the shows as they were originally aired. But I'm just sayin'. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^^

Matt, I remember your work with that Rockford Files issue. Many thanks from a "Rockford" fan :)

If you have a line of communication open with Uni, have you suggested that they duplicate the crossovers in each series' sets? ie, the "Bigfoot" episodes or the other 2 or 3 parters from the BW sets. It would be great to have the "Kill Oscar" trilogy included in both the 6M$M & BW sets without the collector having to switch sets when viewing the trilogy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Time Life always does an outstanding job with their releases. SMDM couldn't be in better hands.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have all 3 region 2 releases of the Bionic Woman, but so far only season 2 of the Six Million Dollar Man. If they release the individual seasons I will get season 1 and then 3 through 5 of 6MDM.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Well. The news is good, mostly.
I worry a bit about farming out the show while it has these ten or so issues. It means there'll be distance between the project and the folks at Uni with Bionic history. I'm no longer worried about picture quality, at least.
OK, one more time, I've belabored here, on the Bionic Wikia and my own site in particular, the particulars, and some have been mentioned in-thread, but, as they say, "This is it!"
  • 3 90 Minute TV Movies from 1973, re-edited for syndication as two part episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man. Restored versions of the 1973 edits are dearly sought by fans. (some like the two parters, which puzzles me, but there it is).
  • 3 episodes from 1976 were moved from one show to another, and re-edited to obscure this fact, changing, adding and removing credits. Restored original broadcast versions are once again, coveted by fans. Including the crossover epics in full in both shows, or simply restoring the episodes removed via duplication, is less vital but a major win for fans if it happens.
  • 3 "Movie Events" from late in the Six Million Dollar Man's run, were split into two-parters, with some credit changes and added "recap". Again, original broadcast versions are the real deal here.
  • Errors in past releases have included the combination of the two part episodes "The Bionic Woman" and "The Secret of Bigfoot" with their respective Part II's into "movie versions." This is wrong. Have one episode where they are in love and she's not dead yet please. Then Part II, ahem.
I go on, don't I. Well there are smaller things, like the "To Be Continued" truncation issue, but I have a whole site on this stuff. The above are the big ones, I hope these matters don't fall between the cracks with this handoff. The crossovers stand the most risk, there I think, since the projects won't be under the same roof.
I second the emotion on the Blu Ray! If a release of the music is too much to ask, perhaps an iso music track for some key episodes, like The Seven Million Dollar Man and Eyewitness to Murder? Collections? A complete set of both shows in Oscar's exploding briefcase?
One thing is certain: after buying Season 1 of Six twice (UK and Mexico), Season 2 in the UK and Season 3 in Italy and Seasons 1 and 2 of Woman in the UK and Season Three in Germany… I'm going to buy every one of them again here and Seasons 4 and 5 to boot. I have good pitch and the 4% speedup bothers me, I have to use a different machine, and El Hombre Nuclear is interlaced with occasional glitches. I am going to have a complete Bionic collection, no buts, do you hear?

MattHR

Screenwriter
Here is a list of features I'd like to see on the bionic releases. Proper episode presentation is a must, with as many bonus features as possible. Kenneth Johnson has a great blooper reel from BW (which he showed to us fans at Bionicon.) Most of the additional bonus feature suggestions listed are already in possession by me and a few fellow fans. I personally own all the audio recordings of the cast & crew interviews for The Bionic Book. Since creator Martin Caidin and actor Ford Rainey (Jim Elgin) are no longer with us, it'd be the only way to hear their comments.
SMDM pilot movies (3) in their original 75-minute format
(2-part syndication versions as "bonus" versions?)
Cross-over episodes with original titles/credits/"to be continued on..." (placement in BOTH releases)
  • SMDM: Welcome Home, Jaime-Part I
  • BW: Welcome Home, Jaime-Part II
  • SMDM: The Return of Bigfoot-Part I
  • BW: The Return of Bigfoot-Part II
  • BW: Kill Oscar-Part I
  • SMDM: Kill Oscar-Part II
  • BW: Kill Oscar-Part III
SMDM 2-hour episodes (not the 2-part syndication versions)
  • The Bionic Boy, The Thunderbird Connection, The Lost Island

Other possible bonus feature ideas:
  • Pre-credit episode teasers
  • "Next On..." previews
  • Network promos, bumpers, interstitials, station break title cards
  • Bloopers
  • Publicity still photo archives
  • Lindsay Wagner's 1977 acceptance speech for her Emmy award win
  • Vintage TV Guide ads
  • Trade ads, studio syndication sales promos
  • Kenner toy commercials & still photo archive of the entire Kenner Toy line
  • Still photo archive of collectibles (games, puzzles, comics, books, models, costumes, etc.)
  • Commercials featuring bionic parodies (some even feature Lee Majors!)
  • Clips from the Bionicon 2006/2007 conventions
  • Sci-Fi Channel's "Bionic Blow-out" commentary clips featuring Lee Majors & Lindsay Wagner
  • Italy's 2008 Roma Fiction Fest interviews with Lee Majors & Lindsay Wagner
  • Audio interviews for Herbie J. Pilato's The Bionic Book
CAST: Lee Majors, Lindsay Wagner, Richard Anderson, Martin E. Brooks, Jennifer Darling,
Monte Markham, Alan Oppenheimer, Ford Rainey, Farrah Forke, Anne Lockhart, Dave Thomas
CREW: Martin Caidin, Kenneth Johnson, Harve Bennett, Martin Caidin, Wilton Denmark, James Parriott, Arthur Rowe,
Lionel Siegel, Phil Bondelli, Vince Deadrick, Jr., Michael Gallant, Michael Sloan, Steve Stafford
  • Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner's acceptance speeches for their TV Land Award wins
  • Mad magazine, Cracked magazine, Charlton Comics presentations
  • 2002 A&E TVography special - Lee Majors: Hollywood's Bionic Hero (featuring Lindsay Wagner & Richard Anderson)
  • clips from the 2006 film TV: The Movie. Lee Majors stars as the villain, with a hilarious SMDM parody by Lee and a few references.
  • Lee Majors's current infomercial: The Lee Majors Bionic Hearing Aid. (OK, I'm kidding. This is just too tragic to even be considered.)
  • The Muppet Show parody: The Six Dollar Can
  • Me & Lee. The pilot for un-produced comedy series starring Jamie Kennedy and Lee Majors as himself -- now an aging scientist who turns Kennedy into a bionic man in his secret basement laboratory.
  • 2004 Inside Edition piece on Bionic Ever After? with comments from Richard Anderson. Too bad it doubles as a tabloid shot at Lee's and Lindsay's multiple failed marriages.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As far as special features, I'd say by far the least likely would be any "product" ads (especially Bionic ad parodies for products not directly related to the show) for the simple fact that clearances would have to be obtained from the companies whose products were being advertised.

If we even get half of what you list as bonus features, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Heck, I'll be happily surprised enough if all the episodes are uncut and 100% as-originally-broadcast on the network run (and free of any technical goof-ups like bad layer changes, interlacing, etc.).

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces/30#post_3677689
As far as special features, I'd say by far the least likely would be any "product" ads (especially Bionic ad parodies for products not directly related to the show) for the simple fact that clearances would have to be obtained from the companies whose products were being advertised.
If we even get half of what you list as bonus features, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Heck, I'll be happily surprised enough if all the episodes are uncut and 100% as-originally-broadcast on the network run (and free of any technical goof-ups like bad layer changes, interlacing, etc.).
Of course legal clearances would be required for some of the items on the list. It's just a general "wish list" of items readily available for inclusion -- if Universal is willing and able.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Is Paul Brownstein producing this set? Haven't heard much about him lately?

If he is indeed the producer, fans of these shows should be pleased with the results. He does great work and often reaches out to "mega fans" (albeit with industry experience) to serve as assistant producer.

I'm not the bionic buff that others here are, but agree that these are long overdue. The bonus feature I would most like to see is one detailing the action figures. What boy of the 70s didn't have a $6mm man action figure? I know I did!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Time Life sets of Get Smart and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. had a lot of great extras, which is one reason I said above that if TL is putting out SMDM, it is a good thing for the show. And let's face it, SMDM and BW are among the last highly anticipated shows on DVD, so getting it right should be a priority. (What's left? Batman? The Wonder Years?)

Also, regarding the Get Smart DVDs, when the individual seasons were eventually released, they were pretty inexpensive, but came without any of the extras that made the set so memorable. The UNCLE extras were included on two separate discs in the set, not in the seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks