What's new

Billy Wilder Speaks? (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed the TCM documentary last week. I was intrigued by Robert
Osborne's comments about the length of the original production: while
the TCM broadcast fit within a 90-minute window, Osborne said the
original German broadcast was 6-hours.

I thought I saw the 'Kino' logo at the beginning of the TCM broadcast.

Has anybody heard whether Kino might release either the 90-minute
or 6-hour version(s) to R1 DVD?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I noticed this too, and was hoping that that meant a home video release was imminent. It would be pure heaven to see the full 6-hour version.

Wilder was an absolute genius and one of the greatest wits of the cinema, and he proved it repeatedly during this 90 minute pared down version.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I had been waiting and trying to see this for years. It is actually from a German TV mini-series called Billy, How Did You Do It?. There were six 30-minute episodes, which makes a total of three hours, and I'd still love to see the whole thing. TCM was one of the co-producers of this American version, so perhaps Warner has the rights -- at least to this edited version. With Spirit of St. Louis already scheduled, Warner's only opportunity to present it as a supplement would be on a two-disc set of Love in the Afternoon.

My best hope for this is that it could fall into the hands of Criterion, who have a great releationship with Volker Schlondorff. They would undoubtedly release the full series (minus the film clips). If they have secured the rights to Fedora from the German holding company that owns it, this would be the ideal supplement.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did enjoy the TCM broadcast, but I found much of the content overly familiar. I hadn't ever heard about Curtis' shame of being in women's clothing. The stories of Marilyn's unending retakes on simple lines got more exaggerated as Billy got older. It used to be 28 takes for "It's me, Sugar," and 40 takes for "Where is that bourbon." Now both have climbed into the 60s.

Still, there is no denying he's one of the true greats, and anything he wants to tell us about his years as a filmmaker would be fine with me. I do wish some of the less successful films would be covered more thoroughly. Always eager to find out more about THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, for example.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Excellent! Eric, thanks for the link.

I'll be purchasing this, as well. October 17th should arrive quickly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks