• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 70

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It is a fun film, I always thought Stephen Boyd was miscast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 73

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ahollis said:
It is a fun film, I always thought Stephen Boyd was miscast.
I haven't seen this film for at least twenty years, but I thought Stephen Boyd was pretty good. I look forward to watching this BRD. (I'm a big fan of Doris, of Rodgers and Hart and of William Daniels)

Reactions: PMF

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"JUMBO" holds special memories for me.
I suspect it may have been the last MGM Cinemascope Musical shown at the Metro Theatre in Bourke street, Melbourne. (later turned into a night club)
It was certainly my last visit to that wonderful old Cinema where I grew to love everything that was M-G-M.

I still remember how impressed I was with the Stereophonic Sound.
I saw it with my then girlfriend, who is still by my side almost 50 years later.

Yes, I will be placing a pre-order immediately.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Interesting that WAC has it at $18.95 and amazon has it at $15.35. That's why I placed my pre order with Amazon.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received this email from Amazon tonight:

Estimated arrival date: November 15, 2013 - November 20, 2013

Looks like that early release date from them didn't pan out.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hmmm...I'm not seeing this up for pre-order on either Amazon or WAC.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Dick said:
Hmmm...I'm not seeing this up for pre-order on either Amazon or WAC.
I still see it listed on Amazon for October 8th. But I do think the date will be changed.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Okay, I have pretty eclectic tastes in movies, which often makes me just shrug "what the hey Mae" regarding Blu-ray blind buys (over half my Olive purchases have fallen into this category, as well as nearly a third of Criterion and TT's output). Problem is, my track record with musicals is the most unpredictable of any genre. Almost as unpredictable as the circus movie. So we're already on a slippery slope here...

Given all that, what's the bottom line on Billy Rose's Jumbo? I mean, without resorting to spoilers, is there anything special - or even just amusing - about this movie which might carry my enjoyment? I'm pretty elastic in this regard...one or two well-staged setpieces, or sometimes just an engaging supporting performance will usually be enough to do the trick...at least in terms of basic entertainment.

This thing has been in and out of my cart all afternoon. :blush:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Brandon Conway said:
Someone should update the thread tags from MGM/Fox to Warner.
As the thread-starter, it allowed me to add Warner, but I couldn't see a way to remove the other two. Perhaps a moderator can be of assistance there.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Latest email from Amazon:
"We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised: Dean Jagger "Billy Rose's Jumbo (BD) [Blu-ray]" Previous estimated arrival date: November 15, 2013 - November 20, 2013 New estimated arrival date: October 15, 2013 - October 21, 2013"

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not surprisingly, the Amazon pre-order link is now dead. I'm glad I got my pre-order locked in beforehand. I never got a delivery estimate with my order and they haven't sent me any updates.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
ROclockCK said:
Okay, I have pretty eclectic tastes in movies, which often makes me just shrug "what the hey Mae" regarding Blu-ray blind buys (over half my Olive purchases have fallen into this category, as well as nearly a third of Criterion and TT's output). Problem is, my track record with musicals is the most unpredictable of any genre. Almost as unpredictable as the circus movie. So we're already on a slippery slope here...

Given all that, what's the bottom line on Billy Rose's Jumbo? I mean, without resorting to spoilers, is there anything special - or even just amusing - about this movie which might carry my enjoyment? I'm pretty elastic in this regard...one or two well-staged setpieces, or sometimes just an engaging supporting performance will usually be enough to do the trick...at least in terms of basic entertainment.

This thing has been in and out of my cart all afternoon. :blush:
Steve, it's such a personal and subjective thing, but I love the film. I look at it as a very low-key, gentle, wistful musical. Sidney Sheldon's script is adult and intelligent, and the four leads are all excellent. It focuses on the two couples and their rocky romances against the backdrop of trying to keep a turn of the century circus afloat. There are no big dance numbers at all, a la The Music Man. After a couple of short early numbers showing the circus members rehearsing their acts and parading in town, all the songs are mostly intimate, character driven songs. What spectacle there is comes from the circus acts. In fact, the finale features ONLY the four leads and no one else. Not one other singer or dancer. Just the four leads doing an entire circus by themselves. And it's wonderful (to me) and a refreshing change from sometimes overblown musical finales featuring hundreds.

It's also beautifully photographed. One of my favorite numbers is a duet with Doris Day and Martha Raye singing about having someone to love while sitting on the back of a wagon, lit only by the glow of the lanterns as they travel down a back road to the next town.
Some people may find the very low-keyness that I love about it to be boring. So individual mileage may vary.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
JUMBO has just been removed from my Amazon shopping cart.
They said that it was a non listed item. :huh:

Serves me right for for not taking it to the checkout the other day. :(

To Steve,
The best thing about JUMBO are the wonderful Songs by Rodgers and Hart.
Beautifully sung by Doris Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks