1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Surprise Release of 2012?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamesSmith, Jan 2, 2013.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Dear Guys:
    Just what did suprise you, in coming out in 2012?
    My biggest "suprise" release, as in "never thought that would come out on DVD," would be . . . . . .
    :):)
    Born Free. :):)
    The 1973 NBC series that starred Star Trek's Diana Mulduar, and the recently passed Gary Collins. It came came out on Sony MOD this year. Never thought it would happen, but maybe it will give the rest of us hope that our Holy Grails will come out.
    Well. What were your choices?
    James

2. Regulus

Regulus Well-Known Member

William Hughes
    China Beach, which will come out later this year, was the big surprise for 2012. It raises hope that we may yet see releases of other "Holy Grails" such as Batmam and The Wonder Years among countless others.

3. rkofan87

rkofan87 Member

tyler
    power rangers mega set :D

4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Of course I would agree with China Beach but I was also surprised to see Grizzly Adams come out on DVD. I've always loved it but it hasn't had the staying power in syndication that other shows had and I can't say I've even saw it in a lot of years until I picked up the DVD set. Looking forward to the final season coming out next month!

5. Darby67

Darby67 Well-Known Member

Sean
    VEI's release of In Search Of...: The Complete Series.
    Darby

6. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Biggest Surprise of 2012: In Search of - The Complete Series. I was also very pleased that Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt and other Ziv shows are making their way out.

7. GMBurns

GMBurns Well-Known Member

Glenn
    My biggest surprise of 2012 was Father Dowling Mysteries. I never thought that would see the light of day, and now CBS has already scheduled the final season for release. It gives me hope that there may be other nice surprises of that ilk coming in 2013.

8. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Agreed, it was a nice surprise. For the past week, my wife and I have been enjoying the first season very much. Those first couple of episodes through us for a slight loop -- they were much longer than what we had expected. But episodes three through eight have been the more standard fifty or so minute offerings (with the exception of the two-parter on disc 2, of course).

9. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Well-Known Member

Probably Mr. Lucky or My Living Doll

10. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Well-Known Member

Dave
    Biggest TV DVD surprises of last year for me: 1) the Cagney & Lacey Limited Edition set that included everything from the TV movie pilot to the 4 reunion movies - It was great not having to settle for the misnamed "The Complete Series" set which is hardly complete. 2) Not only was the 1st season of Alice finally released, but it apparently did well enough (at least by Archives standards) to warrant a Season 2 release last year as well. Neither one is a "Holy Grail" show for me, but I enjoy both and had hoped to someday see them released. But since C&L stalled out after 1 season years ago (Season 2, but treated as if it was the 1st) and Alice only had the one Favorites disc, I honestly didn't think either series would ever get another chance. (Oh, and count me among the others in this thread who were happy to see the Father Dowling sets last year and ready to buy the final season this year.)

11. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Well-Known Member

Tom Hunter
    For me the surprise was finally getting a season of MAVERICK released!! Now if the WB would just continue it!! Also, pleased to get the full series set of GET A LIFE!

12. ScottHM

ScottHM Well-Known Member

Scott
    Yes, this was the biggest surprise for me as well. I was shocked not only by its release but by the reasonable price.
    ---------------

13. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Good point about Maverick. For me the question was whether it would just go to the Archives. My feeling is that Season 2 will probably come out in time for Fathers Day, as last year's release at that time seemed to go pretty well.

14. Hasslein

Hasslein Well-Known Member

Shazam for me as well

15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

Same here. I have to say both of these shocked me. I never thought I'd see them on dvd. Also: Fantasy Island season 2. After being stalled for so long I was so happy this series is back on dvd.

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

I love this show. I'm so happy to own it on dvd.

17. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Well-Known Member

Shazam Get A Life Steve Martin The Television Stuff Korg: 70,000 BC The Final Season of The Untouchables

18. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Well-Known Member

Shazam Get A Life Steve Martin The Television Stuff Korg: 70,000 BC The Final Season of The Untouchables

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Well-Known Member

Howie
    Maverick followed closely by In Search Of... and then Peter Gunn. Two "Holy Grail" shows and one I never thought would see a re-release after the A&D sets went OOP.

20. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member