What's new

Big Shakeup With MST3K on DVD (1 Viewer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Apparently Rhino will no longer release Mystery Science Theater 3000 on DVD. Instead, Shout! Factory is taking over. The article is mostly about how everybody at Shout! loves the show, but here's an interesting bit at the end of the article:

Are they just being overly optimistic, or are they really going to secure rights for all the movies, even the ones from KTMA? And if they do, how much will the sets cost?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I think that's just press release hype. There's quite a few AIP titles that Susan Hart controls and refused to license for DVD. Plus there's the Gamera and Godzilla flicks.

this is a a good move since Rhino seems to have lost it's passion for the weird. Wonder if they're also going to make a run at the Krofft empire stuff that Rhino has given up releasing.

Wonder how this will affect the Elvira releases.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wonder if Volume 10.1 will come out as scheduled now?

Not to mention the individual disc of "The Giant Gila Monster" that was going to offered through Rhino, for those of us who bought Volume 10 before the "Godzilla vs. Megalon" rights snafu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to take away from the great work that Rhino did (they kept MST3K on VHS and DVD for 15 years or more) but I'm really excited to see what Shout can do.

EDIT:As far as I know, no one involved with the show wants the KTMA episodes out there (they look at them more like demo tapes). That doesn't mean that they can't have had a change of mind but I doubt they have.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Hope this isn't a dumb question - I'm a huge MST3K fan, but what are the KTMA episodes? Are they pre-season 1? Or are they episodes that revolve around movies released by a certain studio who won't release rights? And, what is the reasoning for them not releasing them?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
KTMA is a Minneapolis TV station that aired the first season of MST3K before the Comedy Channel picked up the series.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I miss the single releases. I dont have to own every episode, and many i dont want. I sure dont want to spend 50 bucks if all i wanted was 1 or 2 of the episodes. I have to have at least 50% on my episode wants to justify the cost. But thats just me, and i know the hard core fan wants them all.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I'd buy season sets if they could keep the price down, but otherwise I think singles or double features would be the way to go. Four movies was a bad middle ground.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Shout was formed by folks who used to run Rhino. Except they no longer have to worry about Wildman Larry Fischer showing up on their front door demanding his money.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
HA

I had a good friend who was a manager at the late, lamented Rhino retail store in West LA who had plenty of Wildman Fischer stories.

My big fear is that those of us who have the original Volume 10 Box-set are not going to get the promised single-disc GIANT GILA MONSTER DVD through Rhino.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Isn't there a crazy rumor that it's in the Sandry Frank family wills that they are NEVER to give the rights to ANY of their films for MST3K, since Sandy frank hates the way that MST3K made fun of their films.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe we just might get some of those Sci-Fi channel episodes. I am thinking of the Universal titles (Creature Walks Among Us). As Shout has released a few Universal shows!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Actually I think that one is called "Revenge of the Creature". When I first got a Dish Sci-Fi showed that one once and I was able to record it. Whew! It's a great episode. There's a beastality joke about "Chris the dog" that leaves me in the floor everytime. A release of that one on DVD would be a reason to cheer like a mad man.

If only Sandy Frank was a gambling addict. We could all pitch in and buy him a ticket to Vegas. He'd "need the money" on this silly movie thing sooner or later. ;)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I just hope that they bring the prices down. I've wanted to buy more of these on DVD, but I simply cannot justify the prices that they currently list for.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The cost really isn't too bad on the multisets if you shop around. Usually it's 4 film-length episodes for less than $40. Most are totally rewatchable because you'll forget most of the jokes and be reminded over and over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats good news.
guess i'll be logging over there early that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks