What's new

Big problem with plasma, any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
My 2 yr old just chucked a marble through the front of the TV, nice crack and the TV now will not display (power button flashes red.) The crack isn't that large, but what can be done about this? Is it worth the price of repair, or do I need to get a new plasma? BTW, this is a Pioneer 50" 720p, about 2 yrs old (can't remember the model number right now.) No extended warranty.

Any one been in this situation before? Worth the repair, or is a new panel just too costly?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Since the TV won't power up I'm going to assume the actual plasma panel cracked, not just a protective screen. In that case I'm pretty sure your TV is toast. I'm not aware of any effective method of repairing a cracked plasma or LCD panel. Since the panel is far an away the most expensive part of the TV, replacing just the panel itself it is probably not cost effective, you would be better off getting a new set.

The good news is that the plasmas on the market today are better than 2 years ago and less expensive. The Pioneer Kuro is the best and most expensive, but the Panasonics comes pretty close and cost a lot less.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Found a 5010 at BB for $2400. We'll see if insurance will cover the other TV or not. Done...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Joe- Send you kid over my place in about a year.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I want an excuse to get a new display then.

Seriously, I feel for you, but look it as an opportunity to upgrade. I have 2.5 year old twins, and we are trying to sensitize them to not play near the plasma. We'll see if it works or not. Well, until *I* want to upgrade. ;)

(Ever see that commercial where the dude throws a football into his plasma because he's so into the game?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks