What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Friends & Family weekend coming up. 20% off storewide on Saturday with the Rewards card; on Sunday with the printed coupon.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Went to BL today and picked up Amelia and Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, both on Blu for $3 each. most of the other Blus they had were $5. They had the usual TV seasons and they had a season of the Big Bang Theory for $20.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not really a display, but they did have one or two boxes on a shelf of Halloween themed movies. Nothing of interest to me. All the Christmas stuff is out at my store, too. Decorations, movies, music.

Not a very good deal on that Big Bang Theory set. All but the most recent season set have been on sale in other places for $15 or less.

A lot of things at Big Lots don't seem to be "deals" anymore. Many of their prices are now nearly identical, or even higher, compared to those of other nearby retailers.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Mine had a small box too that also had some Christmas movies. Big Lots is still worth going to for the $5 Blu-rays.

Wal-mart added a cardboard display of Halloween movies for $5 but they are all only DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine had just a few horror movies. Including the recent Piranha blu ray for $5. Stomach churning comedy horror, prob worth the 5'er. I saw it last month.

I picked up a Japanese horror movie called Tormented. Was thinking about returning it and getting the 3D blu from amazon for $8 more. Not sure...

Otherwise not much else in horror movies. A real disappointment.

Got the final set of Police Academy movies w/ NL's Loaded Weapon for $5. Happy to finish the set for so cheap.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh! Forgot, my store had Gilligan's Island, lot of em for $8 a season. Season 1 and 3 seemed to be the new cheaper looking packaging. Season 2 the old packaging, double sided discs perhaps? Still, that's a great price! I already have 2 copies of each season.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I swung by today to find the manager pulling The Office S3, 4, & 5 on DVD for markdown to $5 and The Office S6 (BR only of this one) on BR is going down to $2.10, he said a "temp price" and wasn't happy about that as he has to figure out how to display it being a short term markdown. He, like us, can't figure out corporates' logic in pricing and purchasing of all these titles. I pointed out the $14 seasons of Heroes mentioning how they're $10 *everyday* at almost every other vendor as a example of cluelessness at the corporate level for pricing media.

They also had those Gilligan Island seasons with S2 in the old flipper box (at least that's what it looks like). I didn't look at S1 & S3 to see if they're the SS releases or not as I already own 2 sets with one being the original fiippers and the newer one being the updated SS releases. Still... I felt the price "good enough" for Gilligan at BL (WM has 'em for $10/season). I expect those to sell fairly quickly here.

No Halloween/Horror titles of any kind were to be found and no Christmas ones either. They had a selection of CDs, mostly "Greatest Hits" titles, for $5 each. There were a few good ones depending on your tastes but the price is nothing great as that's what most of those go for almost everywhere (and with a "free" MP3 copy from Amazon with purchase of the physical version).

They had a fair selection of $5 BR titles but nothing I don't already own on DVD or like enough to drop $5 for a new or upgrade copy.

I got a loaf of bread and went home...

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I've been to BL a few times now and they haven't added very much new stuff. It's mostly the same TV season sets and movies. Their selection of titles did seem smaller this time. I did see Casablanca and Gone With The Wind on Blu-ray for $5 each.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Big lots has a lot of those TCM Classic films collection sets. The ones with 4 movies each, some gold others white. Marked $8 but ring up as $7. Some amazing classics. Humphrey Bogart, Paul Newman, John Wayne, Natalie Wood, Elizabeth Taylor, etc...also genre sets like the gangster movies with Cagney and Robinson... etc etc. I spent way too much on 2 trips but got an instant old movie collection on my shelf I've been wanting for a long time. Mine also had the Mill Creek Jack Lemmon vol 2 set with Good Neighbor Sam, Operation Mad Ball, etc. I watched Operation the other day and had a great time, Mill Creek at least got that film right since it played just fine unlike other DVDs I've gotten from them lately. Hard to list all these TCMs so oldie fans should stop by and fill out their collections. :) I also picked up The Jetsons Season 1 for $8 but I didn't see any others like that one, such as Flintstones, etc.

I plan another visit after next payday to get what I missed but to be honest I got 11 of them!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Still nothing "new" here. :( I've looked a few times for those TCM sets but no luck. I have most of the ones in which I'm interested but at that price there are a few I'd get for just one film.

I miss having a store connection to get up-to-date information on what's in the back.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stopped at BL for the first time in a while tonight and found a few new titles, including a couple of 3D blu-rays for $5 each. I picked up Gravity and 300: Rise of an Empire. Not sure if there are any other 3D's out there.

Also got The Woman in Black for Halloween. Saw quite a few horror titles, though mostly on DVD.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I probably won't be going back to BL anytime soon. I went there today and their DVD/Blu section has shrunk by about half it's size and they didn't have anything new. Just the usual titles and nothing of interest to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tons of DVD's at my BL today, and a few blu's. Probably six of those cardboard waterfall display units and the 4-sided media rack was full. Nothing too exciting, though. I did get the 3D blu of A Monster in Paris for $5.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quite a selection of DVD's and Blu's at my store. Looks like a new selection of Disney Blu's for $10 each. They seemed to be marked "previously viewed/fully guaranteed," but I'm not sure where they'd get so many previously viewed copies to stock 20 copies in each Big Lots store? Also, I didn't see any other stickers from other retailers or rentals. Maybe it's just a ploy to skirt around some sort of minimum pricing policy? They marked them as used, but they're really not? Titles included: Zootopia, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Alice Though the Looking Glass, The Jungle Book (live action).

Also saw Immortals on 3D Blu for $5. Unfortunately, I already have that one and didn't find any other 3D titles.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There seems to be a new selection of blu-rays at my Big Lots, $3 and $5 each. A few of the titles I can remember:

The Karate Kid II (1986)
A Million Ways to Die in the West
Wild River (Fox Studio Classics, 1960)
The Train Robbers (John Wayne, Ann-Margret, 1973)
Taken
Taken 2
Taken 3
Rescue Dawn (Christian Bale, Werner Herzog)
The Pirates! (Aardman Animation)
Run All Night (Liam Neeson)
In the Name of the King 2

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
I picked up the blu of "Honeymoon in Vegas" for $3 at my local Big Lots in Olathe, KS. Not a great looking transfer but for $3 you really can't complain.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I stumbled upon $5 BRs of Rebel Without A Cause and The Deer Hunter, a pair of movies I've never seen. Of course I purchased them!

There were also several copies of the 2-fer of A League of Their Own/The Natural for $3. There's supposed to be a UV code inside with will redeem both movies along with The Mask of Zorro and The Legend of Zorro for 4 digital movies. I've not yet opened mine to verify this.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine had several copies of Walking with Dinos 3D and a pixels 3D for $5. Was hoping more 3Ds would show up, but stuff I don't already have such as Open Season 3D. Some time ago I got Cloudy with Meatballs 2 3D for $5 as well. Just watch the first in 3D last weekend I think. Was stunning! So much better than way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks