What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Thanks!

That almost looks like it could be some BL overstock. The last time I saw that many copies of Goldmember was a few years ago at BL when I picked one up for $1. I overpaid by about $.99... :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Went to BL this evening. The dry spell continues. I believe this is the longest time for which there have been no "new" titles at BL. This in spite of last Sunday's sale flyer showing new titles.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I picked up another martial arts title. Heroes of the East.

Not much at my store either. I'm populating my horror shelve with amazon and getting better stuff. Well, I hope better.. .lol

I keep hoping walmart's $5 bin will become $3. Not sure why they haven't gone that way yet. I did see a display of $3 titles in the back near the TVs. Nothing worth a special trip. MC stuff, like the 2 movies sets. I just remember the dog movie Bingo (which I'd actually like) and the film Spaced Invaders (which I ordered in a larger set from amazon), each on different sets. I know both those are on much larger sets with other similar films and not much more.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah, I really don't understand why WM didn't drop the $5 bin to $3 long ago. However, I do come up with title every 3-4 months or so.

Gotta watch out for those MC "sets" as they are the kings of repackaging titles in multiple sets.

I was using Amazon quite a bit until they upped the shipping by a buck. That extra dollar makes me think twice about certain titles now which really feels strange as it's only a dollar. Still there are titles I'd purchase for $.01-$1.99 with $2.99 shipping that I'll not bother with at $3.99 shipping. I currently have a title in my cart that's ~$7 and was about to make the purchase when they changed the shipping rate. I've been holding off since then because it's now ~$11 instead of ~$10. I kept thinking many of the vendors (especially the larger ones) would drop their prices a bit to offset the extra shipping charge but that's not happened.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh man, same here with that extra buck at amazon. Single movie releases suffer the most. I wish the marketplace would sell stuff at negative numbers. lol (totally serious about that !) -$1.00 and I've be all over some of that stuff I'm trying to collect for my horror movie madness coming up in a few weeks (I start in September). It does make spending that magic $25 more attractive though. Sellers that aren't included in that deal suffer the most.

I got the Spaced Invaders set from amazon for $4.95 but it includes Holy Man, some Eddie Murphy flick. Both sets (smaller one too) include something called Kazzam with Shaq. Spaced is a very fun kid's alien movie set during Halloween. I've never seen the other 2.

Seems like I picked up Curious George from that bin. I'm sure now it will appear in a multi movie set as well. I can't remember what I got before that. maybe a set with 2 Mark Twain things. Tommy Kelly's tom Sawyer (echo bridge, great image but plays jerky so not recommended) and Huck finn (with a old looking Ron Howard, haven't watched yet). But before that it's a blur.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Holy Man - a rather "blah" Eddie Murphy flick. Watch it once so you can say you've seen it. That's enough. I've never seen Spaced Invaders or Kazaam. Spaced Invaders got a slightly higher IMDB rating than Holy Man but it has a more interesting and fun sounding premis in spite of Roger Ebert giving *it* 1 star and Holy Man 2 (although based on his review I really think I'd like the film and he pretty much says he would have as a kid but as a adult critic can't stand it). I may look out for that one "just because". Kazaam sounds pretty bad and I don't care for Shaq's "acting" skills so I'd probably give it a total miss (Ebert gave it a 1 star review and it sounds deserved).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ouch. Although I'm not sure Ebert is the best judge of silly comedies. Spaced is definitely silly. I don't think I liked it originally, but it definitely grew on me. I'd put it a few steps below Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Just got to be in the right mood.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
We had one a few years back and it closed. The two nearest stores are 30 minutes away. This one is right on my way to work!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My town got it's first Chick Fil' A built right in front of our only BL. Now it's extra crowded all the time. Oh well... at least I can get a piece of Chicken on an overly sweet bun and some waffle fries with more salt on them than the Atlantic and a $3 shake on my way out of BL.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My store had the Babe double feature for $5. The pig films. Good pig! :) Babe is in full screen. Babe Pig in the City is Widescreen. That's the only reason I didn't buy. Love both films. a shame.

I did get a copy of Thirst, the odd looking vamp flick. I didn't see the original Hitcher, which I hope to get. I'll look better next time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Finally some "new" stuff. It was sparse but I found a few from this reported list:

$3Little Caesar - RobinsonFBI Story - James StewartGypsy - Rosalind Russell/Natalie Wood/Karl Malden
The Palm Beach Story - Claudette Colbert/Joel McCrea
$5One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest - Jack Nicholson (1 disk snapper - WM has had the 2 disc LE for $5 in the dump bin)Horse Feathers - Marx BrothersMonkey Business - Marx BrothersThe Women - Joan Crawford/Rosalind Russell/Paulette Goddard/Joan Fontain and moreWinchester 73 - James StewartThe Spoilers - John Wayne/Marlene DietrichYankee Doodle Dandy - James Cagney (2-Disc)Great Ziegfeld - William Powell/Myrna LoyKey Largo - Bogart/BacallMother of Tears - Unrated

I picked up Winchester 73, The Spoilers, and Gypsy. I'd have purchased Yankee Doodle Dandy, FBI Story and Little Caesar if I'd seen them. I already own the rest.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There's *still* nothing "new" at the store here. BUT I'm reading about these titles showing up at some locations.

$3 DVD
7th Voyage of SinbadA Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream WarriorsAlteredBeautiful GirlsBeneathBeneathBloodRayne 2: DeliveranceCave, TheCommittedCrossing Guard, TheDesperadoFaculty, TheFog, The (remake)Four RoomsFriday The 13th (Remake)GiganticGlass ShieldGordyGriftersHancock (2-disc unrated)House of the Spirits, TheHuman Stain, TheIce Cream Man/Jack Frost 2/Killer TongueIn AmericaInterviewJason Goes to HellJason XJersey GirlJoe DirtKeeping Up with the SteinsKingdom Hospital (Entire Series)Lost in YonkersMan, TheMerlin and the Book of BeastsMorning GloryMy Boss's DaughterNeverending Story III, TheOrdinary Decent CriminalPeople I KnowPokemon 4-EverQueen SizedQuick and the Dead, TheRed BeltRedbeltResident Evil: DegenerationShe's So LovelyShipping News, TheSkeleton Key, TheSleuth (remake)SpymateStayStepford Wives, The (remake)SWAT: FirefightTeaching Mrs. TingleTimelineTremors 2: AftershocksTwo BrothersUltraman: Season One Vol. OneVacancyWhite NoiseWishful ThinkingYards, TheYou Don't Mess With the Zohan (extended cut)
$5 Blu-Ray
Act of VengeanceChildren of the Corn: GenesisContract, The (BD/DVD)Dead AwakeImmortalIntrudersPaperboy, TheRed LightsRest Stop: Don't Look BackStealthStolenTrespassWard, The
Happy hunting! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine had nothing much. :(

Walmart had a display behind the computer games (that's like The Sticks of wallyworld!!) and there were afew horror things in there. Including a set of Darkshadows episodes, Thale, some zombie stuff... quite a few MGM midnight movie doubles with different labels than before since they don't have the nice info on the back. I got the one with 2 Dr. Goldfoot movies. Also, a set of cheesy looking Urban Exploits from the 70s and Season 1 of The Cosby Show, all for $5 each. Also got a set with Christine, The Seventh Sign, The Blob (which I already have) and Fright Night original (which I already have) for $10. All this from Walmart, not big lots. Worth a look if you happen to be in there or are missing some MGM MM.

On Cosby, I was wondering if Shout! if ever going to do a full series on that. I guess $5 is not too much to risk.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The staff at my store said there is a 20% off Friends & Family event coming up this weekend. In the past it's been Saturday evening with your Rewards card, then Sunday for everyone. With the changes to the Rewards program, I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Nothing really new at my store. Maybe a few titles but nothing really exciting (and none of those listed above).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
Walmart ... quite a few MGM midnight movie doubles with different labels than before since they don't have the nice info on the back. I got the one with 2 Dr. Goldfoot movies.
Are you sure those were MGM releases? The Dr. Goldfoot I got last year is on the TGG Direct label. They've been re-releasing *lots* of the old Midnight Movie titles. There are a couple of new 4 film sets that each have a never-before-on-DVD title.

Movies 4 You - Sci-Fi Classics with: The Man from Planet X / Beyond the Time Barrier / The Time Travelers / The Angry Red Planet
Movies 4 You - More Sci-Fi Classics with: The Amazing Transparent Man / Reptilicus / The Neanderthal Man / The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks