What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You beat me on the Saturday hours. The wife and I went in this evening and got the skinny on 'em. Also used a 20% off I had on the card since with a planned Saturday *and* Sunday outing will earn another 20% off.

Found these @ $3 each ($2.40 after discount):

Jeremiah Johnson (been looking for this for a while as I'd passed several months back and by the time I'd decided to get it well...)
That Thing You Do
Gentleman's Agreement (Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire)

Also found the following Dragon Dynasty 2 film Shaw Brothers sets (also $3 each):

Dragon Dynasty Double Feature 1: The Avenging Eagle/Blood Brothers
Dragon Dynasty Double Feature 2: Golden Swallow/Killer Clans

I had a couple of prior purchases I'd accidentally double purchased and exchanged for those two.

I purchased Killer Clans a few weeks back for $3 at BL but have totally misplaced the copy. It's going to be another exchange as soon as it's located! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That thing you Do has a Blu ray.

Seems like Jeremiah is on a multi set... yep:
TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Western Adventures (The Wild Bunch / McCabe & Mrs. Miller / Jeremiah Johnson / The Train Robbers)
$10 at amazon
There's also a bluray

Nothing at my store. They still have Robin hood. Wouldn't mind getting it but I'll probably stay home. I picked up a few other things at WM so my cash is gone.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Went to my store tonight for the 20% off members sale. Found a new selection of $5 blu-rays I'd never seen before. Sadly, the only two titles that I can recall from memory are Outlander and The Mist (Stephen King), but there were probably a dozen different titles.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
That thing you Do has a Blu ray.

Seems like Jeremiah is on a multi set... yep:
TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Western Adventures (The Wild Bunch / McCabe & Mrs. Miller / Jeremiah Johnson / The Train Robbers)
$10 at amazon
There's also a bluray

Nothing at my store. They still have Robin hood. Wouldn't mind getting it but I'll probably stay home. I picked up a few other things at WM so my cash is gone.
I'm still a DVD only house. I'm still watching on a CRT so I really see no need for BR. It'll take several much desired titles coming out on BR only to get me to "upgrade". I believe there are a few SF and Horror titles I'd like to own coming out soon that are going to be BR only so...

I thought about that collection but I already own a couple of the films in it plus it's DS discs. Not that the TCM ones are "bad" it's just I prefer SS when possible. I wish they'd go with individual discs like WB has done with theirs recently. Still if I come across a *really* good price on that set I'll pick it up and trade JJ in for something else as I know it'll be a few months before I open and watch it.

I found my copy of Killer Clans and took it in for a copy of Any Which Way You Can in a keepcase. The snapper case version is now in the trade-in pile (yep... it came from BL too and is still unopened). I found a copy of Barb Wire and am thinking of doing an exchange for it. Yes, I know it's "bad" but after reading a Roger Ebert review where he said it's Casablanca recycled I now have a burning desire to watch it and see for myself. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was wondering about Barb Wire too. I kind of like Tank Girl, Cherry 2000 and stuff like that. Was wondering if it comes close to those. But throw Casablanca in the mix... ? myyyyyy my... lol

I love watching stuff in blu. But DVD is far from dead yet. old TV really doesn't need Blu.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And... the trade was done! I now have a shiny new copy of Barb Wire in my collection. I'm participating in a Sci/Fi-Fantasy film watching challenge on another board so I'll try and get it worked in this month. BUT... should I watch Casablanca first, in spite of it not being SF/Fantasy, so I'm more recently familiar with the surroundings... Hmmm... :D

**EDIT**

OK... I just took a look at the IMDB listing for Barb Wire to find this description:
Post-Apocalyptic remake of "Casablanca" set in a strip club.
I'm *sure* I didn't see that when I looked up the film a few days ago...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I watched Barb Wire. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting and really does play like Casablanca with many of the same scenes. No one says: "Play it Sam... you played it for her you can play it for me." but the general plot is there. While it's a far cry from high cinema (or even being a really "good" film) it's worth viewing *if* you're a fan of "B" SF. There's *lots* of camp factor in play and I found myself laughing at several scenes/lines. There are times when it feels like a mash-up with Casablanca and Escape from New York (yeah... a very odd combination) but overall it works on a "B" SF film scale. I'd watch it again without being forced, which is saying a lot.

That said... There's been nothing "new" at the local BL for over a week. I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms... (in a tiny, high pitched voice) "Help me......"

:)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ cool. I'll look for one this week. Sounds fun.

A fella I work with was laughing at me for saying on-air I had (have!) the hots for Cyndi Lauper. :p And she did the movie Vibes with Jeff Goldblum. I'd waited for that to appear in BL but it never did. Recently looked it up on amazon and it was oop. But then noticed it was on one of these super cheap multi sets. Not much to do with BL, but thought I'd add it to the list of funky 80s flicks like the ones that have been mentioned. Not much like BW or Tank Girl... lol

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I received an email today notifying me the "Buzz Club" program is changing. Starting October 1st it will devolve into what sounds like a "targeted" type system where you receive "rewards/coupons/offers" based on past purchases rather than being able to accumulate "points" towards a flat 20% off. They try to make it sound real good in that you don't have minimums and simply scan the card with every purchase. Then every purchase goes towards the next "reward" offer. I've got a feeling my household will be making fewer purchases at BL once that starts.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They seem kind of vague about the "new" offers. I haven't earned a 20% reward in a long time anyway, so I'll be interested to see what the new program is like. Plus, they've been running the 20% off friends/family sale two or three times a year. If they keep those, I'll be happy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I didn't know she wrote that. This is scary now, but my love for her may now be approaching stalker level.
Dammit, James. I was wrong. After I read your post, I realized that I wasn't actually 100% sure of that fact. And, lo & behold, I was wrong. It doesn't happen THAT often. :biggrin: But it did here.

From wikipedia:
"True Colors" is a song written by songwriters Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly. It was both the title track and the first single released from Cyndi Lauper's second album. It was the only original song on the album that Lauper did not help write.[1] "True Colors" spent two weeks in the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100, and was the last single from Lauper to occupy the top of the chart. It received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
She did, at least, make a major contribution to how the song was realized:
Billy Steinberg originally wrote "True Colors" about his own mother. Tom Kelly altered the first verse and the duo originally submitted the song to Anne Murray, who passed, and then to Cyndi Lauper.[2] Their demo was in a form of piano based gospel ballad like "Bridge over Troubled Water". Steinberg told Songfacts that "Cyndi completely dismantled that sort of traditional arrangement and came up with something that was breathtaking and stark."[1]

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I refuse to drop below my near-stalker status. I've gotten comfortable and making plans... well, plans just involves a few extra posters of Cyndi on the wall. :p

Now...Anne Murray.. whoa... she's from Canada and everything.... (* googles for naked pictures *) hey, just kidding!!! :p

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
No lie, that is mom's favorite song. I'd played it on-air for her before (mainly birthday). I usually apologize to everyone else who would rather hear Journey, Phil Collins or something other than Anne Murray. :D Her second favorite song is This is a Man's (x4) World by James Brown.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
She's an awesome old woman. Now, if her older sister, my aunt, was my mom I'd be playing Sweet Home Alabama.

------
Was in Big Lots and found a few horror movies mixed in with the regular junk.
Thirst. From the Old Boy director. Looks like a winner.
Storm Warning uncut. Looks pretty good.
Otis Uncut. Not sure about this one...
The Hitcher. original, not reboot. Tempted.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't contributed to this thread in ages (nor the old Wal-Mart Bargain Bin thread) but I stumbled upon this sale at a local Bed Bath and Beyond last night:

BBB1.jpeg
BBB2.jpeg
BBB3.JPG

Nothing groundbreaking, obviously. But thought you guys might like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks