What's new

Big dogs living inside? (1 Viewer)

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 3-year-old black lab mix. He sheds a lot, and drools in the presence of food, but I wouldn't trade him for anything, as he is possibly the sweetest dog on the planet.

As for the chewing, we had a few problems when he was a puppy, but we trained him well to chew only his toys. He hasn't chewed anything he shouldn't since he was about 6 months old.

I wouldn't say my house is spotless. You can't be too house-proud with pets around (I also have two cats, so keeping up with the pet hair is a severe challenge). But vacuuming once a week keeps things at an acceptable level. If you're a neat freak, however, I doubt you'll ever be happy with pets in the house, unless you have unlimited time to clean.

A couple I'm friends with has three huge dogs: a great dane, a golden retriever, and a newfoundland. All three dogs are sweet and fairly well-behaved, but there's just no keeping up with the dog hair in their house. You'd be vacuuming 24/7. I couldn't deal with that (though I like their dogs), but they're fine with it. You have to figure out what your own level of tolerance is.

Finally, some big dogs make better house dogs than small dogs. My lab mix, for example, is very active outside, but is pretty much a big slug indoors -- quiet, calm, and cuddly. Small dogs can be dynamos. Another friend of mine has a shih-tzu. Cute little thing, but she is constantly in motion, and usually barking besides. That I couldn't take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks