1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bias lighting brightness?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Elfmaze, May 10, 2010.

1. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Stunt Coordinator

I found a hd tv curbside last week. A 57" sony rear projection 1080i tv. after getting it home and adjusting the green gain a bit to remove a bit of retrace line. we started noticing that it was very bright to watch at night. so i instinctually tossed a 4' T8 floresent light behind it to add some backlight. Later found this to be called "biased lighting".

I then went and bought a 4' T5 setup from depot to hide the fixture a bit better behind the tvs bezle. But i got to thinking about how bright the back light should be. Are there any guidelines on this?

I read one artical where it stated ambient light should be no more than 10% of the brightest white. But i don't know if that includes bias lighing.

2. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    The search feature at the top of the forum is your friend: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/284276/the-importance-of-bias-lighting-when-viewing-in-a-reference-environment#post_3667837 .

3. zarazhi

zarazhi Auditioning

What does the manual say? Check it out.....