What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
The change of date about the movie is being reported by Reuters.

Here is the text of the article.

Now if the DVDs rumor holds up their release and the movie will be all in one week's time which means I need to take that week off:)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
BW has finally made it to the top 10 most requested unreleased shows over at TSoD. It's been #11 for quite some time, always switching places with Batman and the Nanny.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
A person named RP, who has contacts with in Sony, posted on Harpies Bizarre again with another substantial rumour concerning the release of the first season:

Posted by RP on March 26, 2005, 1:33 pm

I received another update on the DVD's last night:
June 21 release definite - Announcement April 5th or 12th.
TWO distinct Bewitched sets will be marketed.

One 4-CD set will be the original black & white version.
The second 4-CD set will be the colorized version.
They will be sold separately. (This probably done from a smart sales point of view. Die hard fans and will buy both sets.)
Total running time for each 4-CD set will be just under 1000 minutes

TABITHA series will be two discs. (6 episodes each, I guess)

Also, this is NOT firm by any means, but there is some talk that the Bewitched sets will have some special features.

Again, take with a grain of salt.
So black and white and colorized?! I hope this holds true because I would like both of them, though if it's only one I would be happy with the b&w....but boy is this going to put a dent in my pocket - BW s.1 b&w, Bw s.1 colorized, AND Tabitha, all on the same day!

I hope this rumour turns out true.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I guess I might be in the minority here. This is one series that I've been waiting for and will get but not both versions. I guess I'm just wanting the B & W version since that's the way it originally aired. Is there another series where a studio is releasing or has released separate B/W and Color versions? I don't recall seeing any others.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I am very excited that the colorized version will also be available. I think that is a great idea. I, for one, want both versions.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Jeff, I believe this is a first for a TV series. Of course, there have been a few movies released in both formats. Like you, I would only want the B&W version if I was interested in Bewitched. I'm curious about the situation mainly because it could point to how Jeannie will be released. In Japan, the first season of that show was only released in a colorized format, I believe. When it comes here, I hope they either release both or just the B&W. I won't buy colorized.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Variety is reporting:

This is EXCELLENT NEWS! For one it confirms the rumours that have been flying around and two, it also tells us that unlike the Japanese releases the US will be getting EVERY episode! Oh I CANNOT WAIT until June 21st!!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Having seen the colorized 1st season on cable, I'll definitely buy it, since from a technical standpoint it's the best colorization I've ever seen, with a wide palette of colors- if you had never seen any of the BW episodes and saw only the colorized version, you'd think it had been filmed in color from Day One! I'm not usually a fan of colorization, but in this case it works: Bewitched is a fantasy show, and the use of color is a real asset, as the later episodes showed. So, I'll start with the color version, and then back to the B/W original.

BTW, if Warner Bros. had released Season 1 of Gilligan's Island in that badly colorized version showbn on cable, it would've been a disaster! The technicians who did the coloring for Bewitched and the 1st season of I Dream Of Jeannie were true artists!

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Sony will offer the series in its original black-and-white form, or with episodes that were colorized years ago for syndicated reruns. They will be available separately on DVD for $39.95 each.

This worries me. I want the colorized version, but if they only colorized the syndicated versions, I'll get the b&w. Come to think of it the colorization process is quite expensive, so why would they have bothered to colorize the whole episodes just for syndication? Anyone who is interested in getting the colorized version should wait until we get some confirmation that these will be the full length versions before buying.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I will say that when BW was first colorized it was shown on the Prime network in Canada and they were the entire uncut episode...but, yes, it would be a good idea to wait to see if the DVD release is colorized.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Tony S: According to the unofficial, pre-announcement from a Sony insider, both sets clock in at 917 minutes, or just about 26 minutes per episode. So these should be the uncut, original episodes. I'm sure that will be confirmed when Sony makes the official announcement on 4/11.

The complete episodes were released colorized on DVD in Japan a couple of years ago, so I bet that's what we'll get, too. (Although, their sets were missing episodes from each season.)

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I would think that since they said the running times were exactly the same (and through personal division came out at 25+ minutes per episode), that they would be the same. I certaintly hope so, as I'm very interested in the colorized versions. But, I could take the B&W versions if the colors are edited. Either one would be fine with me. :)

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I saw a preview for the Bewitched Movie and it looks really terrible. I know previews dont always look the greatest, but from what I saw the movie is gonna be nothing like the original series. It's not even really a parody, the only similarities is that the main character is named Samantha, if I remember right, Will Ferrel's character isn't even Darrin :thumbsdown:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I sincerely hope not...I can't seem them abandoning it until after the Dick York years...maybe they'll think of stopping then.

But, if Sanford and Son can have the whole series released, then I don't see any reason why BW won't.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
I'll give you four reasons off the top of my head:

* Mad About You
* Once and Again
* Who's the Boss?
* The Larry Sanders Show

and those are only the ones I like. They have abandoned many others. Their track record is the worst in the industry.

Just a warning to people not to get their hopes up.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Juan if naming shows abandoned by Sony then Once and Again (buena vista)should not be on the list but Party of Five could be

Interesting that am not the only one that wants to buy both versions as long as they are uncut

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks