What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just because there have been some bad ones doesn't make the process itself bad. Starsky & Hutch stayed fairly faithful to the source and that was a fabulous movie.

The inherent concept of a family domestic dynamic where the wife, daughter, and mother-in-law just happen to be witches is strong enough that they don't need to distract with gimmicky plot devices like taking down the forth wall. And while Kidman, MacLaine (perhaps the only woman alive who could step into Endora's shoes), and Caine should all do well in their respective roles, casting Will Ferrell as Darrin shows just how off the mark they really are.

But I'd LOVE to see the original show on DVD.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
and what's more off the mark is the plot to the script. I hope there's a rewrite. Why would anyone want to deface this show by making a movie that doesn't respect the show.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
"and what's more off the mark is the plot to the script. I hope there's a rewrite. Why would anyone want to deface this show by making a movie that doesn't respect the show."

Are you kidding? Mostly all movie remakes of TV shows basically deface the original, regardless of whether the movie is good or not. Look at the Brady Bunch movie, while it was pretty funny at times, the whole idea was basically to poke fun at the original Brady's 60's - early 70's way of life.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I agree with Carlos about movie remakes of tv shows. Being such big fans of the originals, I think we forget that, unfortunately, the studios aren't making these movies for us. They're most likely made for the target movie audience which in many cases may never have seen an episode of the show being remade. Anyway, regardless of how the BW movie turns out, I just want the DVDs of the series. I'm really hoping to get all 8 seasons. While I love the Dick York years the best, there are still some gems to be found in the last 3 seasons! I just hope the first set sells well enough that Columbia Tristar will put more than one set out per year! I would really hate to have to wait 8 years to have the entire collection! I'm also really against colorization, no matter how good it looks. I think the first two seasons actually really benefit from being in black and white. They have a totally different feeling to them--much more like the classic romantic comedies of the 40s, and I think part of it is the black and white. I really doubt they would include both the black and white and colorized episodes, as some have hoped. So please Columbia Tristar--No colorized episodes!

Supporting Actor
Wow. They'll do anything for money. Hey. Columbia might release the first season in color because today's audience don't like b&w.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go with: "Who cares?"

Hollywood can do whatever it wants, waste as much money as it wants on crappy Big Screen remakes of TV shows. Great! More power to them!

Because it's all about the cross promotion. I hated the new Galactica with a burning passion, but it's production got the series I care about out on disc. I was pretty indiffrent to the Hulk - but it got me 3 TV movies, the pilot and a bunch of episodes of Bixby Goodness. I only hope they do another one so I can get season sets.

I only hope that the Six Million Dollar Man with Mike Myers gets green-lit quick. I want the old Lee Majors show out so badly.

Supporting Actor
I'M PUKING. They WANT Mike Myers to play the character that Lee Majors played? Uh, I see that boding well with the fans.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, actually Mike Meyers isn't going to play Col Austin in "The Six Million Dollar Man". The role has been given to Jim Carrey. And actually him taking on that role is the reason he isn't playing Darrin in the BW movie. Nora took too long getting the script together so Jim went ahead and signed on for "the Six Million Dollar Man". You can see some about this movie at the Internet Movie Database site.

And that's a real bummer because Jim Carrey is perfect for the role of Darrin.

Supporting Actor
Well, why couldn't Jim Carrey just film two movies at once? Don't actors do that anymore? They used to do it all the time and now they just on one picture at a time.

Jim Carrey is the modern day Dick York. And too bad we can't have him playing Darrin Stevens. But then again the screenplay to Bewitched isn't about the show.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
All right...to take this thread back to the original subject of BW First Season on DVD...an article from DVD Scan from June talks about the release of the first three seasons of the series in Japan and about the missing episodes from each season that are on that release, which might also happen for the US release. It turns out, according to this article, that the master copies are suffering terribly from the deterioration of the audio track on certain episodes thereby necessitating their exclusion from the Japan release.

I don't know how reliable that source is considering there are at least two BW collectors that I know of who have original copies of these episodes IN FULL who would surely have let Columbia use them. Not to mention that there are certain stations around the world that air BW with unedited episodes. Yes, they don't have masters but they sure have pretty good copies.

I'm hoping that when the BW release comes around to the U.S. next year that Columbia realizes they have other resources available to them so that ALL episodes are included in the release.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Hey, I liked Three's Company. :wink:

Although, I could only imagine what a movie of it would be like. I sense danger. Complete dips, horrible hip teen lines, drug use, stupid fart jokes, some dumb sub-plot with criminals to hold an already bad movie idea together (Coneheads for example). Pretty terrible I would imagine.

Movies of classic sitcoms should just not be done IMO. Thank lord the Three Stooges idea was canned.

Bewitched, I Love Lucy, Munsters, Three stooges, whatever.

The people who turned them into what they became and made the characters memorable and rocketed them into pop culture are all dead. Please, let them rest in piece and leave their work alone.

Hollywood needs new ideas...

Supporting Actor

Yep, that would pretty much be it. And in the movie Jack would probably be a homosexual for real.

Supporting Actor
This topic has been dorment for months David... and you're complaining about it being off topic? Wow!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Because if I were to create a new topic about BW s.1 on DVD I would be chided for not searching for this thread....and what I posted was relevant to the original topic.......I was under the impression that there is a forum to discussion movies...maybe I'm wrong......

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Oh no hard feelings...I've just noticed that there are times that people have been reminded to search for a topic before they post....oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks