What's new

Bewitched? No, just annoyed. B&W isn't to be found! (1 Viewer)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy and Target are trendy.

Colorized is for trendys.

Trendys are not likely to buy Bewitched in any case.

A trendy would more likely to wait for the Bewitched movie, on DVD.

The Bewitched movie seems better than the Honeymooners movie, from what I have seen in the trailers.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I skipped the stores and brought both versions during DDD 20% off sale. I love online shopping best. Better to compare prices quickily and no need to drive around using gas.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I found the B&W version at Barnes and Noble. Best Buy had only color and our local Wal Mart had NONE at all...
B&N is quite expensive but they have a sale until june 30 so I went ahead and bought it. I have loved every minute of it.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
And OUR Wal-Mart, (Lougheed Mall in Burnaby) is often lacking good selections.

I can never find Stargate sets there. No Bewitched either.

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Costco is also a good place to get Bewitched Season 1...I went there today, and they had 4 B&Ws and 1 "Color" on sale for under $26.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I had to go to Laser Blazer to purchase the b/w version due to the fact that Best Buy & Circuit City only carried the colorized version. It was cool that Laser Blazer Pricing was competitive with BB & CC.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Is it true that the process used for the colorization of this set did not affect the greyscale at all? If this is true, isn't it smarter to buy the colorized episodes, since basically this would mean with the color setting brought down all the way on your sets, the black and white should look 100% exact to that of the black and white set? Are these colorized transfers the exact transfers used in the Japan Bewitched sets? Here's a link on that review:

http://www.dvdscan.com/bewitched_jp.htm

Finally, I keep reading rumors that the colorized sets are incomplete, came from syndicated prints and were done many years ago. Can someone please confirm or deny these rumors? Don't get me wrong, I am a purist, and I love black and white, but if it's true that the greyscale was not affected by this new colorization process, it would mean that by turning off the color on our sets, the image will look like an exact copy of the black and white sets. What this basically means is, why spend money buying both sets, when by simply buying the colorized set, you will be able to see both versions looking exactly as they were meant to look? Anyone?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Carlos: The reason I bought both was 2-fold. I'd read that the greyscale wasn't altered, but I wasn't 100% sure that was true. And I also wanted to to do my small bit to maximize sales to try to avoid another Mary Tyler Moore Show debacle. May not help, but it sure won't hurt. It turns out that the greyscale on my set looks exactly the same on the B&W vs. the colorized with the color turned down. However, many people here would never buy the colorized version for any reason because they do not want to support colorized product in any way shape or form.

The colorized episodes are NOT edited. They are exactly the same as the B&W in terms of audio and video content, except for the extra languages on the colorized episodes. This is just an anti-colorization rumor to stir people up.

The transfers on both are mediocre, though certainly not dreadful. On bright scenes, everything looks good, but on darker scenes, everything occasionally looks pretty dreadful. The best example is on the episode "The Cat's Meow" where Kujo and Darrin drive up to the dock before going out to the True Love. The shadows on the dock look heavily digitized and everything lacks sharpness and detail. There is also an overlay of light on the left side of the picture. And it looks exactly the same on both sets. Kinda disappointing, but it's still nice to have the unedited episodes.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Also, the colorized versions have an extra copyright date on the opening credits.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Just cuious as to why. I have had to return a few sets from online buys (the familiar reason, "scuffed" disks from shipping). That's the only reason I sometimes think about buying in local stores but when comparing prices, there's usually no contest. Online $$'s are almost always less than local outlets. The other reason...and for me, this is a big one...is that I can get anything that's been released on DVD from online outlets and, due to shelf space limitations, I can't get a lot of what I'm wanting to buy from local stores.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I had to shop around quite a bit to find the black & white set on the shelf, but was successful today at a local Blockbuster. It appeared to be the only copy they had, too.

I've also now been hearing from a lot of people who ordered the black & white set online and are receiving the colorized ones instead. That's another reason why I avoided the online stores in this case. The titles were way too close to each other, and mix-ups were bound to happen.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Yeah, even the UPC codes are too close for comfort: one ends 11030 and the other 11036. Way too similar if people are in a hurry and misread the tiny numbers on a computer screen when trying to get a shipment out.

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
Why do I get a sneaking suspicion that if you order the B&W edition there's a chance you'll get the color edition. But if you order the colorized edition, they won't make the mistake of send you the B&W version. Trying to unload some of the colorized copies, perhaps?
Bill Parisho

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks