What's new

Beverly Hills Cop 4 ?? (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I heard from someone else that supposedly Eddie Murphy said, if Stallone can make another ROCKY, then he is going to do another Beverly Hills Cop.

Does anyone know about this or if there is any truth to this?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't know about the Stallone line, but Murphy did say during his recent appearance on Inside the Actors' Studio that he is interested in reviving the character and working on story development.

M.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yes, there was a blurb in Entertainment Weekly as well, a couple weeks ago.

Beau

Supporting Actor
There have been numerous attempts to get this made in the past several years. I sure hope that it does get here eventually before they all start getting old. I really hope Reinhold and Ashton return and it has more of a feel of the first two than the terrible third.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, with Rocky Balboa and Die Hard 4, it seems to be the in thing these days.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Haha... that's true! It seems to be an 80s comeback. Arnold with Terminator 3, Stallone with both Rocky Balboa and Rambo IV, Bruce Willis with Die Hard 4 and now Eddie Murphy with Beverly Hills Cop 4. Even to an extent, Kurt Russell with Grindhouse.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I dont consider 3 terrible, but definitely down a notch from 1 & 2.

Besides Reinhold & Ashton, I'd like to see Ronny Cox in it as well.

Maybe Bogomil could still be Chief of Police. And they have to work an old case of Taggart & Rosewood's, so Taggart comes out of retirement.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Funny, Rush Hour and Tucker were the first things I thought about when I read the thread. It's safe to say that the RH flicks would not exist without the BH flicks, so I suppose Ratner is a natural choice.

Me? I would have preferred the Mann treatment. Riskier but a lot more interesting...

Still gotta wonder what's next.

--
H

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Indiana Jones. I tell you one thing, after BHC 3, I was completely turned off by the notion of having a 4, my gut says not a good idea.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, Brett Ratner, the ultimate hack, directing Eddie Murphy who hasn't done anything worthwhile in over a decade. Sounds like a winning combination. :thumbsdown:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I would think Murphy's excellent turn in Dreamgirls qualifies as "worthwhile." The AMPAS certainly thinks so, they nominated him for the Supporting Actor Award.

--
H

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly Paramount's impressed with what they've seen of NowhereLand, too. Although that's always been Murphy's frustrating M.O. - do something great, then destroy that goodwill with high-paying crap.

As for Ratner - he seems suited to Beverly Hills Cop 4. He's generally a guy who won't add anything in particular to a movie, but is competent enough at getting them done on time and budget. He mimics a house style well enough, too. Just the sort of guy you'd want on something like this if you're Paramount; he's not going to rock the boat or turn in a complete turd.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I guess I should have specified that he hasn't done anything worthwhile "comedically". The Nutty Professor was probably the last funny Eddie Murphy film and I have no idea when that came out, but I'm pretty sure it was over 10 years ago.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I agree. The Rush Hour movies are basically of the same mold that made Beverly Hills Cop successful. Ratner knows how to combine action and comedy and just let his actors improvise as Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan did together. I think this film will lie on Eddie Murphy to improvise and be at the top of his game like he was in the first two Beverly Hills Cop films for it to succeed.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm OK with it. As others have said, it seems to be the current trend. Eddie Murphy has turned in both atrocious and awesome work over the years. I hope this one doesn't fall into the latter category. Thanks to Redbox, it will only cost me a dollar to find out.

Since his recent, uh, "flirtation" with Tracy Edmonds he seems intent on cranking out films as fast as possible. Wonder why. Has anyone seen Meet Dave" yet? It's not scheduled for general release until July.

John

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Why do people rag on Ratner so much anyway? He is a generally competent director, unremarkable at worst from what I see.

Sometime it seems like the internet crowd picks a nemesis and never lets go. For some strange reason, Ratner is the name that comes to mind when I think "hack," although I disagree; it's been said so often that it becomes "conventional wisdom." It's like this bizarre, powerful echo chamber effect.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks