What's new

Bethesda's next Fallout decloaks (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Didn't the GotY edition of Fallout 3 on PS3 have all sorts of glitches and crashes? Did it ever get straightened out?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I had endless problems getting FO3 to work on my PC. I think it took about 2 years after I bought it to get to play it on my newer PC. There are steps in the discussion section on steam. I think Step 1 from that got it working great.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I find any Bethesda game from the Fallout/Endless Scrolls series will eventually pop a cog. Save often!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Man, that fist-puncher weapon you get after beating The Swan is baaaaaaad aaaaaaasssssss. I regret having it for so long and not using it much. Now I use it all the damn time.

I did the whole mission at Trinity Towers saving that old man using nothing but that weapon. Just death-punched every single Super Mutant in there. Also took out a Deathclaw in seconds without breaking a sweat.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Felt bad about making Marcy wear a sack hood and sleep in the town's only bathroom. She's done a damn fine job with the 'tato crop, but more importantly, y'know what she doesn't do? She doesn't bug me to improve the town's amenities, beg for drugs, or send me miles away to fight Super Mutants. She's got a pissy attitude, but she's also living with these assholes 24/7.

So, I've moved her into the the nicest room in town. Carpet, ceiling-fan, cat paintings...the works. Also gave her a decent set of armor and my nicest hand-me-down pistol.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've gotten farther, it's quite good.. I enjoy the village building stuff most; but the missions for me are just.. hmm. I like the puzzles; took care of the guys in the sewer plant, ran the first Brothers of Steel missions, etc. but I'm really struggling with one thing: fusion cores. I've went through three and they go FAST. I'm trying to figure out where the hell to come up with more.. I grabbed two in the robotic graveyard, one behind the rocket station, one when I first met the minute men.. but yet I feel like I need about 4 more at the rate they burn up..

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Something I also literally JUST found out:

You can attach lightbulbs to any wires you have running between generators. SANCTUARY WILL BECOME THE CITY OF LIGHTS NOW!

I'm hoping they add (or someone mods) in a feature to build statues of characters in settlements.

Why?

So Sanctuary can have a Preston Garvey statue, commemorating his feat of not killing himself and/or everyone else in sight after who-knows-how-much time traveling with that insane circus of people.

I can actually picture Preston yelling "SHUT UP!!!" most of the way to Concord.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Level 32 at the moment. There are some good times and a lot of fun to this; I just live in the power suit.. I started the game with Max IQ and Max Charisma, minor on the other stats, and I've found the computer hacking tools and ability to pacify people are some of the best functions in the game. I upped how long the cores last, and now I've got 21 cores in my inventory, so I'm A-OK

The best weapon in the game so far is easily the special "exploding combat shotgun".. I have the "fat boy" and mini-nukes, but frankly, it is the explosive combat shotgun that does more reliable continuous damage.. you mini-nuke once and you get about 3/4 of the way on a Death Claw, but just break out an exploding shotgun and it's something like nine or ten shots.

I equipped my companion (I'm using Cait ATM) in her own powersuit, one that was left in near Fort Strong and so now me and my companion just run around everywhere in power suits and blow shit up.

Kind of entertaining. Ammo is a BITCH, that is the part that truly sucks.

Some really cool elements:

Complete some missions and keep going, it gets -weird-... this is especially true in the mines; you complete the mission at Station 2, but if you keep going down, you get to "the hole" at Level 4.. interesting thing about this.. as you go you get flashbacks of the past, the ghouls become real people, you see the world before the bomb drops, explosions around you, etc. truly wild stuff; you then find the people as they were as super-long living ghouls.. WILD!

If you clean out the super-mutants at the satellite array, keep climbing up, there is an extra power suit at the top of the array.

If you go through the mayor's bunker, complete that mission keep going down.. outside of synths you'll find another Deathclaw WAY down there, a set of safes with a ton of weapons,

Glitches:

Going to the Brothers of Steel skyship they tell you "take the vertibird to fort Strong".. it never materialized. Ever. I ended up having go to the airport and just walk there to start the mission.

I've fallen into places that you cannot get out of; especially true with water locations, you're just screwed then.. no options, you have to quit the game and load a slightly earlier save.

Big Glitch in Vault 75: the "admin" card doesn't appear where it is supposed to be in many cases, I kept looking for it, found out online lots of other people same problem.. where it should be? It isn't there... ARGH.

So, outside of some glitchy problems, so far very enjoyable.

Frankly, I think I enjoyed Rise of Tomb Raider -more- because I thought the graphics and gameplay were a bit better, but I have to respect the length and storylines within Fallout.. which would be higher if it wasn't for the glitches for me (PS4)

Two good games to end the year

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've begun, maybe 10 hours. I've got some folks to hang with in Sanctuary. Now I'm off to find some friends of theirs.

I'm not sure how I feel about the SimCity aspect of the game. It's unexpected, and a nice time waster. But it's too early to understand how it really fits the game as a whole. It's also vague at times. I'm supposed to build some a chair. I've built two chairs, neither one the correct one. I don't know how to determine which chair is the right chair, short of building all the chairs and trusting one will complete the mini mission.

The revised VATS with realtime, instead of frozen, interaction completely surprised me. That's added an element of franticness I'm not sure was needed.

I like dogmeat. He's a good boy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looking at the start date of this thread, I realized how slow I'm going. I still haven't gotten to Diamond City. But I just killed the old lady :(

I found that FO3 was easier to manage, with Megaton city and its local merchants and my home base. In FO4, everything feels more scattered and I never know when or where I'll find a decent merchant. But, this might all be clearer once I get to Diamond City; FO3 didn't gel until I got to Megaton and I got my home.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Me too re the thread start date, I thought it was going to be about FO5.

I fairly recently got FO3 for the PS3, figured I should play it before FO4 (PS4 natch) which I've had for a while. I have been "wary" of starting any Bethesda games, have quite a lot of them (PS3), never played one before. I am fairly intolerant of bugginess in my home, even though I make my living from it :), yet I keep buying these Bethesda things because the gameplay sounds like it far exceeds the flaws, "everybody" keeps recommending them to me. I think FO3 shall be what I'll play next.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really enjoyed FO3. I've had some crashes with FO3, but generally didn't think it was especially buggy compared to other console games. Perhaps because I played the GOTY edition, all the bugs were quashed at that time.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Good to know, the GOTY (U.S. version) is what I got. I also picked up the Orange Box (used) around the same time, it seemed interesting too, but FO3 is burning a hole in my game rack so needs to be aired.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I remember hearing that the PS3 GOTY edition of FO3 was incredibly buggy when released. I guess they patched it up.

I recently played some Half-Life 2 in the Orange Box (which I bought probably before some of you were born :) ) and didn't encounter any issues.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm also enjoying FO3 GOTY for PS3. The only problem is it does freeze up at times as the save file continues to grow, now at12 MB. When it was smaller I had no problems. I did delete all the previous saved files and diconnected the PS3 from the internet which does seem to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks