1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best widescreen 30+" picture under $1300?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kyle Tippett, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Well-Known Member

I am starting research for my tv now, so if you guys can help me out with brands and models, id be greatful. ive got full monster cables, a denon 1803 avr, a jvc 600 all region dvd, pioneer ntsc1 dvd, pos sony vcr, and paradigm atom front, surround, cc170 center, and a pdr10 sub... now i just need to see in clarity. . .
    help me find a 30+", pref. widescreen tv, lcd/plasma, NOT necessary. try and keep it ander a max of $1300 +/- 50

OPTICAL INPUT IS A MUST!!!

2. TyR

TyR Member

Why do you need optical in to your TV? Can't you go optical just from, e.g., your DVD player (or whatever) to your receiver?

3. Kyle Tippett

I am pretty sure that opnce you break the optical line, comming outy of the reciever, and it hits the tv, it only comes out as if it were s-video or coax/rca.

4. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Well-Known Member

Christian Behrens
    Kyle,

I think you're confused. There are no optical inputs on TVs, neither for the picture nor for the sound.

Picture information is transmitted with either 1 RCA (composite), 1 s-video, or 3 RCA cables (component). None of these are optical.

Soundwise, a digital connection (optical = digital) makes no sense, as TVs have typically no surround sound amps built-in; your receiver is responsible for the digital multi-channel sound.

Picture-wise the best you can do is component inputs. In your price range, however, I don't think there will be an awful lot. The Samsung TXM-3096WHF is the only one that comes to my mind. Check the connections on the back of that model here.

-Christian

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Well-Known Member

The cheapest & only one under your $ 1,300 mark is the Samsung 30 inch. The next cheapest I would say is the RCA 34 inch which has a DVI Input & goes for around $1,500 This set has also got some good reviews but RCA has had a lot of repair problems in recent years with their sets so I have no idea how good this RCA model is.

6. Beau B

Beau B Well-Known Member

Kyle, check your local Sam's Club for the 30 inch Widescreen Phillips. It's not on the web site yet, but it is at my local store for $888.99. Everybody else is at least $1400.00 for this same set. Model # is 30PW8520.

It Looks Very Nice, and I am even thinking about this set myself.

Beau

7. TyR

TyR Member

Beau, am I right in thinking that that set has no DVI input?

8. Beau B

Beau B Well-Known Member

Probably not, but you can check it out on the Phillips web site. They have the retail price as being $1999.99. WOW, quite a jump in price from Sam's Club.

Beau

9. Kyle Tippett

Thank you all for your help, it was appreciated.[​IMG]