What's new

Best way to wrap a larger Christmas present? (1 Viewer)

Phil_L

Second Unit
I bought my Mom a new TV for her new kitchen. It's only 14" but the box is rather large, certainly larger than I have wrapped in the past.

So any suggesstions on nice/creative ways to wrap it without throwing a Hefty bag over it?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Phil: I LOVE to wrap presents!

This isn't all too original...but there are some Christmas wraps that come on extra long rolls. I found one in my stash that hadn't yet been opened. It says the paper is 1 meter wide (or 1.1 yards...or about 39 inches). You can simply wrap that around the four sides and then go back and tape a panel on both the top and bottom. That's what I'd do.

They also make Christmas wrapping bags (that kind of look like colorful versions of the giant Hefty bags you are trying to avoid). One of them would also do the trick.

I DID wrap a real large package once in a Hefty bag. I then used colorful ribbon and a few strategically placed bows and the gift actually looked pretty good. It certainly started a lot of conversation when it was hauled out on Christmas Eve. :D

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Another suggestion (which I've actually done many times) -- go to a yard goods store, or even the yard goods department at your local Wal-Mart...find some material that's a good trade-off between price and appearance / suitability, and buy enough of it to wrap the package, then embellish it with ribbon, bows, whatever. If your Mom sews, try to pick material which she might actually be able to put to some real use, and it'll also serve as a bonus gift, instead of something that just ends up in the garbage. :)

For a few very special gifts which I've wanted to make into very special presentations, I've used the expensive sequin material which drapes oh-so-nicely...and it's ALWAYS been a big hit.

You can do traditional-style wrapping, or you can just sit the box in the middle of a (very large) piece of material and pull up the sides and tie the top with ribbon or cord to make a very unique and creative "gift bag".

Have fun with it, and I'm sure your Mom will too! :)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Well, when I have something for a "special" person I usually have it professionally wrapped. There are a lot of stores that do wrapping, like some of the "mailbox" type stores for instance, and this time a year many malls have wrapping services. It might cost $5-10, depending on the size, but it's always a far nicer job than I can do.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Don't wrap it.

I gave my parents a TV for Christmas a few years ago. While they were at my Aunt's house on Christmas day, I set the TV up in their living room, put a big red bow on top, and turned it on. They sure were surprised when they got home that evening.

-Dave

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I like Dave's idea...but I REALLY like Linda's idea. My mom and sister are both quilters who live by the rule that you can;t have enough fabric. Linda: that's a great idea! :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Those are definitely great if you're looking for an easy way to wrap it up. They are also durable...I find that wrapping large gifts (in regular wrapping paper) makes it difficult to move around. You end up tearing the paper while moving it. The bags make it easy to transport such items.

Another thing I've done (when in need of a cheap alternative to wrapping paper) is to wrap it up in that brown paper bag type of material that they sell at the post office. Then I'll either print out Christmas artwork and cut them out (to tape to the box) or even just draw Christmas designs on the paper itself.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You can always cut off two pieces of wrapping paper and tape them side by side - but look out for the pattern!

See if you can get a box for a chainsaw (or something else male) and put the TV carton in that!

Glenn

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I think the garbage bag sized gift bag is a good idea. I don't know where they sell them, but they look nice enough and are a cinch to wrap.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I used to work at a gift wrap service during many Christmas holidays. We had 2 options:

1) Determine the circumference of the object (measuring tape). Roll out 2 pieces of that length + an extra 4" or so. Fold over ~1cm or so of one long edge (edges of the paper are often dog eared). Flip so pattern is up and tape the 2 pieces together so the folded edge is outside. Aligning the pattern is a nice touch. You now have 1 giant piece of paper that you can wrap the gift in.
2) Get a very small box and wrap a picture of the item. Once unwrapped, present them with the actual box.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

:) :) :)

I also frequently use fabric / material to stuff packages or to cushion / separate / wrap individual items in one package.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Buy a polaroid - take a photo of the TV in the the chair where the recipient will be sitting - still in the box so you can't see what it is. Put that photo somewhere, like in a drawer in the kitchen. Take a picture of it. Put that photo somewhere like in the shower - take a photo of it. Put that photo somwehere etc. Wrap one and put it under the tree. While they are running around the house finding photos you put the box in the chair. TIMING IS EVERYTHING! Make sure they take a long circut that does not lead them past the chair again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks