What's new

Best way to wire 2 Atlas 15's? (1 Viewer)

Brad E

Second Unit
The Atlas 15's are 4 ohm woofers. If I wire them in parallel, that put the total impedence at 2 ohm's. Right?
And in series it will be 8 ohms.

How do I keep them at 4ohm's?

Thanks.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you wire the 4 and 2 Ohm coils in series, you get a 6 Ohm load. Parallel two woofers, and your amp might be happy with that load.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
And usually somewhat above that in an actual box. I've also used just the 2 Ohm coils in series to get 4 Ohms, but that's only for IB use with very little power...150 watts or so.

Brad E

Second Unit
If I wire the 4 and 2 ohm coils in series, won't that change the Qts?
I'm going for the mid Qts of .45 because my box will be about 36 ft3 after bracing and everything else.

Maybe I just need a bigger amp?
Thanks

Brad E

Second Unit
It's my stage. 8'x 3'x 2'.

8 ohm's should be fine. The amp I plan on getting is a Rythmik Audio 350 which should put 245 watts into an 8 ohm load. I think that will be plenty.

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
Brad,

Jack is right about the ability to run each driver in series-parallel and still use them with a 4 ohm capable amplifier. It looks like a 3 ohm load on paper, but in reality the subwoofers' impedance will not really drop below 4 ohms in an enclosure. I have a pair of Atlas 15's in a 6+ cubic foot sealed box which are both wired up to a PE 500 watt amplifier. They have been running this way for quite some time without a problem.

However, in your setup with the large IB-esque enclosure size, the 8 ohm setting should be perfect. 245 watts to those drivers at the mid Q setting should provide you with some spectacular output and low end capabilties. That amount of power will be a great match to your intended alignment. I can't wait for you to get it all up and running. :)

Chad Kuypers
Ascendant Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks