What's new

Best way to hook up an Ipod to a Onkyo receiver?? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Joshua
I know they make an docking station but I want to get the BEST SQ from my IPod to receiver..what are my options?

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler

Your options are a docking station or a direct connection your receiver via a mini headphone to RCA connection. I have a DLO Deluxe dock which is great because it has an on-screen display for navigating my music collection on my TV (that 2.5" screen is hard to read from 10 feet away).

I think the sound quality is going to depend more on the quality of your mp3 files than the way you connect your iPod to your receiver.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

I'd argue that since MP3 is your sound format, sound quality is not the highest priority for you...

Seriously, any headphone jack to RCA plugs will be more than adequate as far as sound quality goes for hooking up your IPod. The advantage of the IPod docks are that some offer onscreen display and will keep your IPod charged.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler

Perhaps not the highest priority, but it still may be a priority. Agreed that a lot of mp3 users are content with ripping their CDs into iTunes' default of 128 kbps AAC, but there are some users who use higher bitrates.

I think a lot of people would be surprised at what bitrate they are no longer able to discern an audible difference. Then again, there are people who want to know they're hearing everything, even if "everything" is above the quality threshold of their own ears.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Best SQ and MP3 don't belong in the same sentence. On headphones it doesn't make quite as much difference (especially average headphones or earbuds), but when you play it on a system capable of decent resolution, compression will generally be much more noticeable, even at 256K. On headphones, 192K is fine for me.

You didn't mention what MODEL of Onkyo we're talking about.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Use a docking station. The headphone output sounds worse then the bottom line out jack and the Onkyo or Apple docking station will work fine for you.

luth2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Luther Carpenter

I agree. I have the onkyo docking station and the sq is quite good.

John Mil

Agent
will the Onkyo docking station work with an HK receiver? Also, will I be able to navigate my music selections using my TV screen with this docking station?

Thanks!

audiomidiman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Johnston
Hi, I haven't been to the forum for a couple of years and it appears that my user name has disappeared so I decided to create a new one. I own a Onkyo TX-DS595 and thinking of picking up a Onkyo DS-A2 dock for my iPod video and my wife's iPod nano. Will the DS-A2 play nice w/ the DS595 seeing it's a good 4-5 years old. I know it has RCA audio and video jacks so that shouldn't be a huge problem. However, will the remote work w/ our receiver?

Thanks!

audiomidiman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Johnston
Will the Onkyo Docking Station (DS-A2) work with a Onkyo TX-DS595 good? If so, how does the remote communicate?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks