What's new

Best TV size for viewing distance of 9 feet? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
i'm thinking of getting a widescreen RPTV soon. i've got a viewing distance of 8-9 feet from optimal viewing position...what's the best size TV for this? i know there's a formula, but i can't remember it.

i was thinking in terms of maybe a 51" screen, but i'm afraid this would be too big. also, i may be moving in the next 6 months so my viewing distance could potentially increase.

what would be the best thing to do?

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

I believe the formula most often referred to is 1" of screen for every 2" of distance away. If you're 8.5 feet away, that's 102". Half of that is 51". So a 51" screen would probably be fine. All I can tell you is that my sitting distance is about the same as yours, and I have a 46" RPTV. I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm sure I could have gone a bit bigger without any problems. You'll hear from some folks who say nothing is too big.

Good luck.

Tom

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
thanks tom. i think now as long as a 51" is OK for my current viewing position, i would err on the side of larger since most likely when i move i will have a greater viewing distance (the house i live in now has a small living room). but i also have looked at the 46" and if i wasn't moving soon, i think this would be more than adequate for my current viewing position.

matt-f

Second Unit
There are similar formulas but it will eventually come down to what you feel suits best.

For my 57" HDTV screen, I'm about 12-13 feet away. Any closer then I begin to feel it a bit big and so forth.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I would recommend 46" or 51". One plus about the 51" size is you won't need a stand , while most 46" sets are tabletop and require a short stand, usually overpriced for what you get but they match the TV and can store a couple components. I sit 8' from my Sony 46" and feel it is fine. 46" models from Toshiba and Sony have come down to around $1300.00. The 51" sets go for around $1600. Stands are around $170 or so, for the 46" models. The 46" Toshiba had been on sale recently for $999.

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I bought - the Toshiba 46H84. I paid $997. I'm very happy with it, and 8-9 feet away seems just about right for me.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks