What's new

Best TV for $2500 (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
How about a 61" DLP that is less then 7" thick and can be hung on the wall? :)

This is the mighty powerful, but ultra-thin 61" HD2+ DarkChip2 DLP RPTV ScreenPlay 61md10 from InFocus.

It has a beautiful extra fine-pitched high gain multi-layered screen, which allows a full 160-degree off-axis viewing.

In combination with the DC2 chip from TI, the high gain screen, and light sealed cabinet, this RPTV boasts a maximum on/off contrast level of 3500:1 and significantly better black level than an equivalent front projector.

It not only has two component inputs and one HDMI input, but it also has a FireWire input, DCR & Cable Card slot, and two integrated HD tuners (digital & OTA).

It has a built-in CPU that runs Windows CE 4.1 and IE 6.0 with a RJ45 broadband connector and a wireless keyboard for internet browsing.

It first became available in late October for $9,000. Since then, InFocus has been steadily dropping the price to its current level of $5,000 with a few select retailers offering it for about $4,000.

Amazingly though, the folks at woot were able to secure a deal with InFocus for 450 units which they sold yesterday on their site for only $3,000 a piece with only $5 for white-glove direct shipping from InFocus! As an added bonus, InFocus threw in a $500 mail-in rebate making the total cost $2,505! :eek:

I would not be the least bit surprised if we see the same deal run again before November rolls around so if it looks promising you may want to keep an eye out for the next sale.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Nils

Now that is a truly fine deal. How many did you buy for yourself :D ?

If I didn't have a 65 I would have been sorely tempted. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to get one of those 450.

I will have to look harder at woot.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Like the original poster, I too am considering the switch to HD. Unfortunately, in my area, Best Buy, HH Gregg, Circuit City don't do a very good job of displaying their products. Too many sets running off the same degraded signal. I would like for some one that has an hd set that has Dish Network (hd & regular proramming) along with ota hd to provide us with their thoughts. I would love to switch to the Dish 942 dvr and a hd set but can not bring myself to spend the $ that will result in a lesser quality picture than I have on a 15 year old 36" analog tv. I am not as concerned about the picture quality of the ota hd, which is supposedly better than Dish's hd signal, but am really concerned with the majority of sd programming that Dish has to offer. Everything that I have seen, show the sd picture to blurry and washed out. Even the local cable's hd signal does not impress me at these stores.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Dish and DirecTV will also be moving to MPEG4 in the next year or so that's another reason you may want to wait. Current receivers will not decode the new signal, so you will have to trade up. Whether the companies actually make this painless to the wallet is not clear right now.

There are a fair number of members who have Dish HD and are very pleased.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I didn't post in on this one....

I seen the subject and knew this was not going to go anywhere good. :)

Best for whoever is rarely going to be best for you....
Bang for buck these days is in FP. Aside from that the best deal you can get on the bulky older technology CRT RP HD displays.

Not sure at all what to tell somebody that is base'n their choice on SD performance. Maybe DVD performance, but SD performance is more like something you deal with on HD displays, not base the choice on.

best of luck to the originator of this thread.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
SD performance varies both between display technologies and within display technologies. Plasma sets tend to do a better job with SD than other types of displays.

I don't have satellite. I have cable. Never the less, I can provide some specific information on which models within the different types of displays did best with SD material.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks