What's new

Best Tragic Love Story on DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
What's the "Best Tragic Love Story on DVD?"

Only one answer: Casablanca

This all-time classic is the benchmark all others of this genre are ultimately compared too.

A difficult script to use as a blueprint for a school project, but it does boil down to:

Boy meets girl, boy looses girl, boy finds girl,(well actually girl finds boy), boy gives up girl for noble cause.

It would be interesting to see this formula adapted to a contemporary setting. You just have to find a noble cause . . .

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
How about "Summer of '42"?
I haven't seen this film in a number of years, but the impact of it's ending still remains with me. A coming of age story set on Nantucket in 1942 depicting the loss of innocence faced by both the teenage boy in the story, who has a crush on a young woman who's husband is off at war, and the world in general. Jennifer O'Neill was completely lovely in this film.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
To some of the solid titles already mentioned in this thread I'll add another selection. I am uncertain as to whether I'd classify this film as tragic, but it certainly is downbeat. Personally, I find this film to be overwhelmingly poignant and emotionally affecting:

David Lean's Brief Encounter

- Walter

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator

Good one!

Some of the following are cheesy, but they did make boo hoo something fierce:

Romeo and Juliet (60's version)
A Walk to Remember
Love Story (70's version)
Cider House Rules
Legends of the Fall
Queen Margot
Margret's Museum
Titanic

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Juliet in Love (Hong Kong)

Christmas in August (Korea)

And my all-time guilty pleasure:

Untamed Heart (Marisa Tomei, Christian Slater)

Blu

Screenwriter
I forgot about Damage!

Very tragic story.

This has given me a wealth of research material to go over!!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Roman Holiday.

Who doesn't feel Gregory Peck's pain as he takes that long walk away from the woman he's just fallen in love with? Up until the last 15 minutes of the film its your typical 1950s romantic comedy, then BAM!!!

Though not a movie, The Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Perfect Mate," which featured Famke Jansen and Patrick Stewart's first work together, also stands out as being particularly bittersweet.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Favorite romance film of all time, Before Sunrise

Jesse and Celine's relationship unfolds so freakin realistically and feels so genuine, the very fact that they have to part ways at the end (i'd drop everything in my life back home to stay with such a gorgeous creature as Celine, there's no way i'd leave her)
makes it tragic.

The worst kind, longing for someone you just can't be with.

And of course, Titanic.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Dark Victory (Bette Davis, George Brent)

Ghost (Demi Moore, Patrick Swayze)

Waterloo Bridge (Vivien Leigh, Robert Taylor) Not on DVD yet

Camille (Greta Garbo, Robert Taylor)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I second the obvious statement that Casablanca is the all-time classic example. A Place In The Sun is probably the all-time most depressing romantic tragedy though.

Brian's Song is a good platonic twist on the theme -- it's essentially a love story about two best friends.

The anime film Millennium Actress is another classic twist on the theme. It actually revolves around two romantic obsessions. (And if you are into Japanese cinema, it is a MUST SEE.)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Elvira Madigan -- I don't know about "best" but it is one of the staples of the tearjerker genre.

Of the stuff mentioned above: Romeo & Juliet (and clones like West Side Story), In The Mood for Love & Before Sunrise are all wonderful films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks