What's new

Best subwoofer for budget around $600.00 (1 Viewer)

Gregory_S

Grip
Hi,
I am slowing building my HT and am looking to purchase a subwoofer. The room is about 1,750 cu/ft. (12'x18'x8').

I have the following so far...
Klipsch RC-25 center
Klipsch RB-25 front
Klipsch RB-15 rear/surround
Pioneer VSX1015TX

I have been looking at the Klipsch RW-12...any comments??

One thing, I listened to the above equipment in the store (with no sub) in a room that was approx the same, and big surprise...it sounded...better. (in all categories) The highs are good...not great...and the lows (yes I realize they are only bookshelf speakers) are poor. They seemed to get a surprising amount of bass for such a small speaker in the store. (no sub)

Any suggestions before I get steered wrong...!
Greg

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
In your price range, you may also want to consider the SVS PCI 20-39. I replaced my Klipsch sub with an SVS product and it blends in with my system better for music and movies. The Klipsch subs hit pretty hard but I never knew what the term "boomy" meant until it was replaced.

Mort

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
I can, without hesitation, suggest either the SVS 25-31PCi or 20-39PCi. The 25-31 will have slightly little more 'punch', but the 20-39 will go deeper providing almost as much SPLs with greater extension. If you're predominantly music, you may prefer the 25-31, but if you're 50/50 or more predominantly movies, the 20-39 is the cat's *ss :cool: in this price range .

The 20-39 does great with music as well, however it's strong point is the deep extension, which infrequently an issue with mostly music listening environments.

HSU, Rocket and Velodyne provide some decent subs in this price as well, but for $$$, I don't think you can go wrong w/either of these cylinders from SVS. You might even get lucky and find one of them as B-Stock here and knock even more off the price. Good luck! -TD

Jacob C

Second Unit
For the money I would go with an SVS cylinder or an HSU. $600 + shipping gets you a STF-3 from HSU. Either way I think you will be happy and both companies have great customer service.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I just got the 20-39PCi about 3 weeks ago and I can't recommend it enough! This thing blows my mind every time I turn it on. It also has a updated driver now.(NSD Series) For $600 plus shipping...and shipping won't be much, You can't go wrong with this thing.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I also made the switch from a Klipsch sub to an SVS, going from a KSW-200 to a 20-39PCi about 4 years ago. Hyperbole aside, it really was a HUGE difference. I've also heard many good things about Hsu subs from HTF members, so I'd think either one would be a very solid choice...

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
If size is not a factor, then go for SVS or Hsu. The most efficient model is the SVS 20-39 PCi, since its tube enclosure is an inherently superior acoustic design, thereby making it one of the lightest top-flight 12 inch subwoofers with extension down to 18 Hz or so.

But superior physics doesn't always make for practical home theater. If a box design works better in your home environment, then either the Hsu STF-3 of SVS PB12-NSD provide the best bang for the buck. For everything except the occasional Hollywood blockbuster with monster bass—in which the SVS will have the slight edge—these two should sound virtually identical.

Mind you, both of these boxes are pretty humungous, so if you want something you can carry by yourself—weighing less than 50 lbs—go with the Hsu STF-2. It will go down to 25 Hz, which works for just about all TV and music. As for movies, you'll "miss out" on the absolutely deepest bass, but 20 Hertz bass is rare outside of the big budget blockbusters made since 1997.

I use a Hsu VTF-2 (10" woofer) in a room similar in size to yours (16x13x8) and it is simply the best subwoofer in its price/size class—the SVS PB10 offers better performance in the $400 price class but it is much larger than the VTF-2. Size and budget were my primary consideration back in 2002. Otherwise, I'd definitely spring for the 12" subwoofers going for around $600—which I will finally get to do this summer.

Good luck with your home theater.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I have Klipsh in a 7.1 system and use the 20-39PCi and love it. My stepson has a 5.1 Polk system and uses a 25-31PCi which he likes.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks