What's new

Best Subwoofer for $700-800? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently using a three-year-old 12" Velodyne (CHT-12). I'm fairly happy with it, but I want THE next step if you will.

I'll be running Infinity Beta speakers. My set up is for home theater.

My room is 17 ft by 19ft...I have a high ceiling that ranges from 9 ft to 18ft. The room is very open...opens to foyer and kitchen. I'm looking at roughly 4500 cubic feet. The sub would be tucked in a corner though.....and I would be sitting 10-12 ft in front of the sub while facing...(and being a few feet to the left of it)

I'm strongly considering the SVS 25-31 PC-Plus subwoofer

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-plpow3.cfm

Recommendations? I was also thinking about a Velodyne DLS-5000R 15".

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...2&sid=787q332t

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You heard wrong :) They are BOTH great for HT. The PC+ should be more than enough for a room that size. I've heard a 25-31PCi in a larger room than that and it was quite nice. I have a 19x20 room with a PB-10 and it still hits very respectable levels and depth (drops off at 16Hz), and that is their smallest sub. You might also look at the HSU VTF-3 HO (do a search on this forum, there should be a thread about it).

John S

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne DLS5000R... not the others in the DLS line though.... That 15" can take on some very high end subs.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have a CRT RPTV and I don't want to get a sub that necessarily booms or rattles (I don't want the bass to vibrate such that is throws focus or convergence out of whack). I just want natural, deep, pure bass as was intended to be heard when the DVD was mastered.

Is Velodyne or SVS better for what I'm looking for?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
You still might have time to order the HSU VTF-3HO at the pre-order price of $799 (save $100) plus shipping. This is a very high performance sub.

Few if any subs are magnetically shielded and you don't need one that is. CRT RPTV is quite insensitive to magnetic effects from subs. One of my subs is very close to my 65 with no effect at all.

This is a one time opportunity to save $100 on the HSU, and it is one serious subwoofer.

Far less likely to be boomy than the Velo DLS 500R.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

John gives excellent advice. I'd agree. By way of disclosure, I use a PCi 20-39, and though I've heard better subs for more money, including from SVS, this is an extremely excellent value, the PCi line. Gives the Paradigm Servo 15 a hell of a run for its money.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Re-evaluating my finances, I think I'm going to try and keep the price closer to $600-650.

I definitely don't want boomy bass.

My Velodyne CHT-12 is a bit like that at times. Also, I definitely want something the next step up.

I will have to look at the PCi line. Everyone agree this is a step above my CHT-12?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I do think even the PCi line will outperform the CHT-12. Heck, even the PB-10 is likely to give it a run for the money :D Of the cylinders, the 25-31 has the most output, the 16-46 has less, but obviously goes a lot deeper too. My personal choice would be the midpoint, the 20-39, but you can also get the 25-31PCi in 22Hz tune if you ask them nicely :) The 25-31PCi impressed me, which is why I bought my PB-10.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I'll have to agree with John here, go with the SVS. I also have a PB-10 and love it. I have heard the 20-39, it would be my choice under $800...........

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
No doubt the SVS but I would call down there and ask for Ron, give him your room specs and let him tell you what you need.. then there will be no guess work.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just spoke to Eric from SVS. He said the 25-31 would be best for my room size.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
John,

You mentioned the 25-31 would give me the most output. My interest isn't necessarily something that is the loudest...is this what you mean by output?
I want tight and natural bass...nothing something that rocks and rattles my house....Would the 25-31 still be the right choice? I'm not sure I expressed this well enough with when I spoke to SVS.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
If it's tight and natural you want then the Hsu VTF3-MKII is the way to go. I'd say go VTF3 HO, but there aren't any reviews yet(it's not out), but the good Dr. is known for sound quality so what the hell go VTF3 HO. With Hsu sound quality has always been Dr. Hsu's first priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks