What's new

Best spray or roll on truckbed liner? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to hopefully modify my 3pi theater series speakers to include 2 12" woofers, and since my speakers are just bare MDF right now, I might as well finish them to make them look at least a bit respectable.

I want them to be able to play outdoors (not in the rain or anything) if needed, so I figure veneer or other paints might not be a good choice.

We finished one of my friend's subwoofers with the spray can truckbed liner and it looks ok, but not spectacular.

Im wondering which brand you guys would reccomend? Also, what sanding techniques do you do after you have sprayed a few coats of it on?

Finally, what kind of primer do you use on the bare MDF first? Ive got some generic wood primer in the garage and was wondering if it would work.

Thanks!

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I'm an ex-painter and now bodyshop manager, There are several automotive primers that would work very well and are probably a better bet and more durable than any woodworking product out there. Use a good two-part primer with a high solids content.
There are also some very high quality sprayable bedliners, but for the best finish, the application should be done by a pro-(if you can swing the extra bucks). There are too many variables(gun setup/temperature/humidity, as well as the aftermarket product that you are using) to allow for a quality finish. But it can be done.
I would suggest taking your box to a quality bedliner shop and ask them if they could shoot it, (and, of course what the cost is) with some leftovers(there is always extra product when you paint something, that will just get disposed of) If they're a fair shop, and if it's already prepped out, the cost will be minimal

good luck

AllanRW

Second Unit
Jerry.
I use this stuff all the time as a fact just finished another sub cabinet today with it.
I use Dupli-colour out of Wal-Mart cost $8.00 tin.

The tricks.
Speaker cabinet pre and more prep to get a 100% finish.
Never mind fancy primers.
Just fill all the spots that need filling with wood filler.
Then prime with ANY cheap black FLAT paint.I to use the Wal-Mart House paint nothing more than the cheapest for me.
Appy 2 coats of this.The first if you need more filler in spots do it now.
Then prime again to get a even cover of the Black.

Open your can of liner spray.
Spray in a vented area this stuff is hard to breath in a small area.
Stand back a foot and spray a even coat over your primer.
Nothin to it and if you try a few small pieces you will get the knack.
And will even have some left out of the can.
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrn...ding/id13.html

Craig loved the Mult so much I built him a ported AV15 as well
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrn...lding/id9.html

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the opinions guys!

AllanRW, I think I will try your idea. Do you sand the truckbed liner after it has been applied and dried?

AllanRW

Second Unit
Jerry .
No I do not sand the liner spray.Once I have primed the cabinet black I then sprya on the lier spray just as a texture.

Al

KyleGS

Second Unit
One more tip- don't spray it outside if it's too hot or the sun is shining where you will be spraying. I've done this and the stuff dries before it hits the box (in the air). You then are left with a black "dusty" uneven box.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Thanks Kevin.
Off to build a few more cabinets today for CSS that are off to the CES using my method.
No veneer the boxs nothing fancy just finished as above but the speakers CSS will have there are what will stand out.
4" with XBL fullrange driver.

Al

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Alan, that spray comes out nice... you've inspired me to redo my livingroom sub. I'd already painted it satin black and the paint ran a little in some spots and has brush strokes in it.

Perhaps if I use the Dupli-color it'll be respectable enough to come out from behind the CD rack where it is now. :)

AllanRW

Second Unit
Thanks.
Give it shot on a sample piece of wood first.
Like I said prime in a black finish first.
Then all the liner spray is for is just texture.

Al

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Allan, do you use the cheap .99 interior/exterior spray paint at wal-mart as your primer, or do you use there regular primer, then the liner spray?

AllanRW

Second Unit
Just fill all the spots that need filling with wood filler.
Then prime with ANY cheap black FLAT paint.I to use the Wal-Mart House paint nothing more than the cheapest for me.

This is what I said before.
Just use any flat black paint.Nothing fancy.I just use the Wal-Mart brand as it is so far the cheapest black paint I can find.

Al

AllanRW

Second Unit
No the Black paint is the prime coat as well as the under coat.
I use 2 coats to give the clean black top coat and then a thin spray of the liner spray.
No primer just the black.
I may refer to the black as primer sorry just that is my prime coat then top coat.
All out of the same can.
The latex paint will dry in a few minutes and spray on the liner coat and paint from start to finish is done in about 1hr time.Depending on the temp in the area you are finishing.

Al

darren_s

Agent
AllanRW that paint work looks great, I was thinking of going veneer but after seeing yours I might give that a try.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the idea. I picked up a can today at Walmart for $6.95 in Southern Cali. I'm just glued all the panels of my DIY Sub today. It needs some sanding then the painting will begin.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks