What's new

best sounding dvd-a or sacd? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I recently took the dive into hi-rez music and absolutely love it. I have a great set of speakers and am always looking for the best "reference demo" quality material. I can play both dvd-a and sacd and wanted to know what people thought were the best one's out there(concerning sound quality). I'm interested in some good quality tracks containing such things as good vocals, acoustics, violins, saxaphones, or piano.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Get the new Elton John SACD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Lots of interesting music on that classic album.

Also try the new Flaming Lips DVDA. Excellent sound.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Some good starter titles with your criteria ;)

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band XXL Silverline/DVD-A
Laurence Juber Guitar Noir AIX/DVD-A
James Taylor Hourglass Sony/SA-CD

Cheers,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I second the above recommendations and also recommend:

Keb Mo - The Door SACD
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go DVDA
Ryan Adams - Gold SACD
Various Artists - Four Generations of Miles (Chesky) SACD
Rachael Podger (violin) La Stravaganza (Channel Classics) SACD
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon SACD, of course given my sig line :)
Steely Dan - Gaucho SACD

That should get you started. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The best sounding SACD that I've heard is Will And Rainbow's HARMONY on the Eighty Eight's label. The Eighty Eight's is an audiophile label that does stereo only, single-layer SACD's. All their SACD's are DSD recorded. They release in other formats too and simeltaneously record with other recorders for them. Of the 3 discs I have from them, I think Will And Raibow is the most impressive.

Phoebe Snow does vocals on 3 songs and she just sounds amazingly good. On the instrumental songs the band often flirts with a fusioistic sound, sort'a...? Will Boulware plays purr-dy good piano. Vetern Steve Gadd is on drums. Peter Bernstein, who's new to me, does guitar. There's a synth player and Michael Brecker does sax on 2 cuts.

This is some of the best recording I've ever heard. It's off the chart! I also have Joe Chambers' URBAN GROOVES and the Lonnie Plexico Group's Live (at somewhere) album. I'd call their recording awfully fine too.

Sure Telarc, Heads Up, groove Note, and some others are doing some fine DSD recordings but I think the Eighty Eight's is the top rung.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another fantastic sounding SACD is Nickelcreek's This Side. It's an amazing high rez recording. Here are some other SACDs that I consider exceptional:

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Mark Levinson - Live Recordings at Red Rose Music Volume One
Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven
Aimee Mann - Lost in Space
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather
Beck - Sea Change
Alison Krauss - Forget About It
Alison Krauss + Union Station - Live
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

I don't listen to multichannel very often, so my evaluations are based on the stereo layer of these discs.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
To start out with the latest I'd have to go with Flaming Lips. What a great recording and it seems to me that they had surround in mind when doing the sessions.

Allison Krauss and Union Station-Live, killer transfer

Donald Fagen-Nightfly
Carlos Kleiber- Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 7- What a great recording, hard to believe it was done in '75. This was one of the few experiments that DG did in Quad. The sound is really 4.0 but the recording and the performance(some critics thinks this is the ultimate performance of the 5th)is awesome.
Toy Matinee-Toy Matinee
John Coltrane-A Love Supreme
1812 Overture- Telarc DSD
David Johansen and the Harry Smiths-Chesky Records
peter Gabriel-Up
Roxy Music-Avalon
Rotterdam Philharmonia-Pictures at an Exhibition-Pentatone SACD

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Al Di Meola "Flesh on Flesh" sounds great on SACD. Also George Benson "Breezin'" on DVD-A. The latter is a bigger improvement over the CD version than the Di Meola disc. The Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A is also a very nice sound, but doesn't contain many of the instruments that interest you.

DerekJohnson

Auditioning
The Flaming Lips, "Yoshimi Battles..." DVD-A is the disc. Plenty of extras. Amazing sound. I've been using this disc as my demo for family and friends. :)

TomCW

Second Unit

Uh, this was not transferred, it was recorded direct to DSD.

Tom
PS She spells it Alison, btw.:)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The most impressive SACD I have is the new Tilson-Thomas/San Francisco Symphony recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony, recorded direct to DSD. You really feel like you are there.

PierreN

Auditioning
Excuse my ignorance :) but what type of music is Flamming Lips categorized ? I've seen quite a few recommendations, just curious ... I'm open to various music (well, maybe not too much rap nor country :) ...) What other good classical recordings in these 2 formats would you recommend ?

So far, I enjoy:

1. Norah Jones (SACD)
2. The Police - Collections (SACD)
3. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (SACD)

I'm ordering some other DVD-A (Hotel California, Two Against Nature, Rumours) & some SACD (Fragile, Up)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
PierreN -

Think Spin Doctors meets Super Furry Animals, if that helps. Electronic loops on top of real instruments playing fun pop (the good kind). Lyrics are sometimes silly (the good kind). I find the album drags a bit in places, but always sounds neato. Very agressive surround mix. The instruments come from everywhere, but follow patterns that make a kind of sense. Hope that helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks