1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best set for around 2500.....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RyanJE, Jul 18, 2006.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Well-Known Member

Throw me some suggestions here, im not partial to plasma or LCD. I do like the look of plasma but i know each has its upsides and downsides. Looking for 42-50 inch screen for mostly TV and DVD..

No projectors please. THANKS!!

2. orestes

orestes Well-Known Member

How about this plasma TV from CC, a Samsung 42" Plasma HDTV?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

It is ~$2250 when you place it on your cart. I like the specs on this model and the fact that it has 2 HDMI, and you can even use it for your PC.

Regards,
    orestes

3. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Panasonic 42PX60U for around that price, and I have been very happy with my purchase thus far.

4. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Well-Known Member

How about a 52" or 56" JVC HD-ILA (LCoS) RPTV if the screen size is not to big for your liking.

Also, I have read good things (and they look decent in person) about the Vizio plasma's. $1,900 for a 50" at Sam's. Have read some negatives about fan noise, but that was with older models and seems to be fixed.

I am in your situation with price range and those are the two that I keep coming back to for screen size and price range. But then I know little about this stuff and may be taking the wrong path myself. I will likely wait until after Thanksgiving or just before Christmas to see if I can get a good steal on a TV.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Well-Known Member

im liking the panny suggestion so far as i have been able to find it for about 2000 shipped. any one else wanna chime in??

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Well-Known Member

For $2299, the Panasonic TH42PX60U is a good buy..better yet if u can find it for $2k. I got mine almost a year ago for $2400.

7. RyanJE

RyanJE Well-Known Member

what about the pioneer pdp4370hd???

8. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

I was in Best Buy a week or so ago, and they had a 50" Panasonic plasma for $2700 or $2800. Didn't seem to be an open box item or anything like that. It might pay to visit a store and see if what they're asking for the Panny 50". I've found the stores frequently have things selling cheaper than what they're listed for on the website.

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Well-Known Member

It seems that Panasonic recently came out with newer models though same model number, etc. I guess Best Buy was trying to move the "older" ones.

10. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

The Perfect Vision magazine recently had a very positive review of a Vizio 50" plasma. Msrp is $1999 and they termed it a true bargain.

11. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Well-Known Member

Here's the Vizio lineup at Sam's - http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=6148

I'm actually in the market for an HDTV for my parents, and am considering the 42". For $1300, it seems like a heckuva deal (even has a tuner). Any ideas about the reliability of the brand?

12. Philm35

Philm35 Member

If you don't need to hang it on the wall, I highly recommend the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 50" LCoS. It is native 1080i, has a 13,000-1 contrast ratio... the picture is stunning. I've had mine since last Christmas, and I love it. It is now $2659 at Circuit City. (I paid a lot more than that last christmas :-( )

--Phil

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Well-Known Member

how is the black level when compared to plasmas???

14. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Well-Known Member

This site,

http://www.shopstore-online.com/prod...roducts_id=141

Has the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 50" LCoS for $999!!!

I know nothing about this site and wouldn't order from them without confirmation from others that they are a reputable operation. Just wanted to put the info up there.

Seems too good to be true to me.

15. RyanJE

RyanJE Well-Known Member

how does that sony (xdr) compare picture quality wise to a plasma??