What's new

Best SACD So far (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I only have a handful of SACD's but DSOTM and Gaucho seem to spend the most time spinning around in my player. As for GBYBR, guess I'll have to get it based on the comments here. Not a huge EJ fan but if it sounds THAT good I'll give it a whirl. Kinda pricey though. I had never really heard Spyro Gyra before but thought it would be something I would like so I picked up "In Modern Times" last year. My first SACD BTW. While it sounded pretty good, the music didn't grab me as I had hoped. A friend of mine said it would make good elevator music in a single story new car dealership. But he's still into punk rock so...I am a huge Steely Dan fan. No matter how bad my day has been, all I have to do is listen to the Aja album and everything falls back into place. The Royal Scam has always been underrated to me, but I'm certainly not a music critic. I just like what I like for no apparent reason.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
gene
Try yourmusic.com for $5.99 SACDs, that's where I got GBYBR.
Except for a duet with Lennon and Tommy (which is nowhere good as the who version) I never even owned or listened to anything until I got the SACD.
If you are in the Haight in the next few days and want a listen email me and stop by.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Only $6?? Well, guess I should give it a spin too then. I'm not a real fan of EJ either, but I do enjoy his music well enough to spend the $6, especially if the SACD is *that* good. Is it hybrid -- just so I can easily rip to my relatively new iPod also? :D

I don't own enough SACDs nor have a good enough rig to contribute about what's best (even if it's just supposed to be IMHO). :D I must say though that most of the SACDs I do own do indeed knock my socks off compared to typical redbook CDs -- and I only listen to the stereo mix, not MCH, as my setup will actually do worse w/ MCH since it's not remotely proper for it.

PhilBoy,

You really should do yourself a favor and jump in. :D You don't have to go all the way to MCH/surround to love hi-rez. I only use a stock, 2-year-old Philips 963SA -- which also provides pretty good upsampling for redbook -- and some old gear like a Rotel analog A/V preamp, B&K 5-channel power amp and pair of old Vandersteen 2Ci's for the stereo playback.

_Man_

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, actually it appears to be $5.99 per cd and since GBYBR is a double disc it's $11.98. Still alot better than $27.99 retail. Other conditions-restrictions apply, but yourmusic.com is still a heck-uv-a deal.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Do most SACD's have more then just stereo mixes or do they usally have 5.1 mixes. I don't seem to get all the channels working on SACD in particular I have Micheal Jackson - Thriller, Tower of Power - Soul Vaccination and Aerosmith - O Yeah ! Ultimate.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Michael Jackson and the Aerosmith titles are stereo-only SACD. I don't think they were re-released with a multi-channel mix.

If you are wondering about certain SACDs, whether they include a multi-channel mix or not, you can check either sa-cd.net or Brian Moura's SACD webpage (scroll to the bottom for links to multi-channel SACDs).

I think the recently-released SACD of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" should be more than a worthy contender for best SACD. Shockingly good in stereo, and from what I've read on the'net, it's also a reference quality multi-channel SACD.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Is yourmusic.com a subscription service? Is there a way to just buy one disc from them and not be a "member" or part of a "discs each month" system?

AricB

Second Unit
no, you have to be a member of the disc a month, but you can cancel anytime, and there are no other fees. I've got all the clapton and elton john sacds for 5.99, its a great deal.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
"...and the difference between the Redbook SACD layer on GBYBR and the SACD layer is startling."

I bought a Pioneer DV 588-A yesterday and Evan S's comment about the difference being startling is a gross understatement...

I have listened to this 'album' hundreds of times over the past 30 years and know the music verbatim.

The SA-CD layer sounds like a whole new album. Wow.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Danny, I have the Dire Straits SACD. I had the XRCD before that and after hearing the XRCD vs. the regular CD, I could not imagine it being better. The XRCD sounds as good as many hi-rez discs when played back thru a good CD player. The SACD was even better, clearer and a bit more definition to things. I'm sure many would like the multi-channel mix. I did not care for it but I like most things in stereo vs. multi-channel and probably don't like 85% of the multi-channel mixes I have. I would call it mildly aggressive.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just purchased the Animals Retrospective. This materials sounds clearer than I have ever heard it before.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Umm, sorry to take you all away from your squabbles about "soul" and whatnot, but back to Grant's original post - that wasn't an organ, that was one of those newfangled ee-lectronic devices called a synthesizer, A.R.P. specifically.

The best-sounding SACDs I've heard are classical. I don't have a particular one that I consider best, but I'm fond of all the discs I have from RCA Living Stereo (e.g. Rubinstein's Chopin), Mercury Living Presence (e.g. Janis' Rachmaninov), and Telarc (e.g. Stravinsky Petrouchka etc.).

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks