1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

best router for the money?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by crankbait09, Jan 13, 2014.

1. crankbait09

crankbait09 Active Member

Shawn
    Can anyone recommend a good wireless/wifi router for streaming movies via Netflix through my television? Obviously the cheaper the better but I would like a good quality one.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G and it always drops the internet connection. So I'd like to replace it but want a better one.

any advice?

2. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    I like the Apple AirPort Base

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Netgear wndr4500. What I use. But if you want good, You need to spend over $100. Mine and a few others, do 5g and multiple speeds at the same time.

4. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    Will DD-WRT or Tomato install on that router? You might look into that. Personally, I have had good experience with Dlink and Apple Airport Base Stations but I haven't purchased a router in a couple of years.

SmallNetBuilder seems to be the "go to" place for router info.

-KeithP

5. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Another Mac user who swears by the AirPort--
    http://www.apple.com/airport-express/
    It's cheap (a better use of $99 than a Roku), the size and shape of a phone-charge plug, connects every Bluetooth device in the house (including two computers, an iPad, a PS3, and a Panasonic Viera), and works like an Apple. :D
    Of course, if you're not a Mac user, um....can't help you.

6. crankbait09

crankbait09 Active Member

Shawn
    ok, thank you. i will check that website.
    I really dont want to spend that much. why? well its only for internet and movies to the tv. dont use the online portion much other than that

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    I use the Asus RT-AC68U - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174

You can optimize the settings to give more bandwith for movie streaming (or games or whatever content you want). It's pricey but the range is the best I have ever used. I may replace the antennas with some high gain ones I have sitting around from my old router and see if I can get a little more signal strength.