What's new

best router for the money? (1 Viewer)

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Can anyone recommend a good wireless/wifi router for streaming movies via Netflix through my television? Obviously the cheaper the better but I would like a good quality one.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G and it always drops the internet connection. So I'd like to replace it but want a better one.

any advice?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Netgear wndr4500. What I use. But if you want good, You need to spend over $100. Mine and a few others, do 5g and multiple speeds at the same time.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Will DD-WRT or Tomato install on that router? You might look into that. Personally, I have had good experience with Dlink and Apple Airport Base Stations but I haven't purchased a router in a couple of years.

SmallNetBuilder seems to be the "go to" place for router info.

-KeithP

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Richard V said:
I like the Apple AirPort Base
Another Mac user who swears by the AirPort--
http://www.apple.com/airport-express/
It's cheap (a better use of $99 than a Roku), the size and shape of a phone-charge plug, connects every Bluetooth device in the house (including two computers, an iPad, a PS3, and a Panasonic Viera), and works like an Apple. :D
Of course, if you're not a Mac user, um....can't help you.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
ok, thank you. i will check that website.
I really dont want to spend that much. why? well its only for internet and movies to the tv. dont use the online portion much other than that

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the Asus RT-AC68U - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174

You can optimize the settings to give more bandwith for movie streaming (or games or whatever content you want). It's pricey but the range is the best I have ever used. I may replace the antennas with some high gain ones I have sitting around from my old router and see if I can get a little more signal strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks