What's new

Best Receiver for my Application (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Mike
We just finished our basement and I am looking to put together an inexpensive audio system to go with the 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma TV (TC-50PS64) we just bought. The room is "L" shaped and is approximately 12' by 30' in the section we are going to put it in. I actually am elligible for a free gift from my work health program. Which of the following receivers are best for my application:YamahaRX-475RX-575DenonAVR-1613AVR-1513AVR-E300OnkyoTX-NR525TX-SR313Thanks in advance!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
He means dvd player, BluRay player, set top box (cable/satellite) PS3, etc. (never mind. he beat me to it again!)

Also, what speakers do you have or plan on getting?

Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the responses! We will definitely be hooking up a dvd/bluray player and satellite (DISH-joey). We also have Wii and ps3 but they will probably be moved from TV to TV (we have two other TVs). We have ipads, ipods and android phones plus use pandora. We have always done htib in the past so never had a real receiver. Plus the last system we bought was 5 years ago so I am not familiar with how all the devices like the phones and ipads/ipod hook in/interact. Right now I am planning on either the Energy Take Classic 5.1 or the Monoprice 10565 which are due to come out this month.Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any AVR works with that speaker set(pretty sure the 10565 is the Take Classic).

With networking, your Apple and Droid products will run your AVR(the Denon E definitely, the NR Onkyo's and the two Yamaha you picked).

Onkyo's remotes(on the networking models) are set up to run an Apple TV, if you get one.

Yamaha and Denon both have Airplay.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks. Which of the receivers of the ones I have listed are best in your opinion? I don't have to pay so do not factor in price please.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
pmsmith2032 said:
Thanks. Which of the receivers of the ones I have listed are best in your opinion? I don't have to pay so do not factor in price please.
There is no "best". There is "has the features you need" and "easiest for you to figure out".

Your needs are not my needs. I won't buy an AVR that doesn't have pre-outs(which would be the E2000, V675 and the NR727).

Then if I were buying, I'd download all three owners manuals, read them, and figure out which one serves my needs otherwise.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Examples of "features you might like"(and no, not all 7 of your choices include them all)

Would you like the AVR to pass HDMI signals from your Joey to the TV with itself not having to be on? If yes...look for "HDMI passthrough in standby"

Would you like a front HDMI and or front USB?

Do you want a second zone?

Do you want height or wide eventually? (look for DPL IIz or Aud DSX)

Real Name
Mike
Thanks Schan! I actually have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with (please keep in mind I have a limited knowledge of these kind of systems). I've done some research but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for:

1. Ideally I would like to hook speakers up outside to this receiver (second zone) but I have no idea how this would work. The receiver will be in the basement right below the area where we have our deck. Can you explain or refer me to something on how this works? Is it possible to control the receiver from outside? Is such a setup expensive?

2. Do all the receivers I mentioned above connect to the internet wirelessly? We have a wireless modem but I could also connect a receiver with an ethernet cord if need be.

3. How do receivers connect to android phones, ipads and ipods? We have an old HTIB that connects with a cord but I'm not sure if this is done wirelessly now?

4. If I understand correctly, all devices besides the TV and speakers would be inputs, correct?

5. What does "Do you want height or wide eventually? (look for DPL IIz or Aud DSX)" mean?

6. I think you are correct about the 10565 being the Take Classic but I can't find confirmation. There really isn't much info online yet (they aren't being released to the 10th of September and there are no reviews yet. I contacted Monoprice but they basically said they can't compare different systems. They did say that the subwoofer has a peak 200W.

7. Would it be best to mount the Monoprice speakers to the walls with brackets?

Thanks in advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. Ideally I would like to hook speakers up outside to this receiver (second zone) but I have no idea how this would work. The receiver will be in the basement right below the area where we have our deck. Can you explain or refer me to something on how this works? Is it possible to control the receiver from outside? Is such a setup expensive?
Of your choices, the NR525 offers Zone 2 and the Yamaha 575 offers "Zone B". Zone B is the same audio in both locations.
Zone 2 is separate audio source in the 2nd location. But the 525 requires the other zone to have "self-power". So, you could use a wireless speaker.

There are numerous ways to control the AVR outside. Your Apple and Droid phones, if your network extends to this area...will control whatever is on the network. Networking has been out for a decade now.

How expensive do you want this to be? It can be done under $100. Or you could spend thousands.

2. Do all the receivers I mentioned above connect to the internet wirelessly? We have a wireless modem but I could also connect a receiver with an ethernet cord if need be.
None of them are "wifi" out of the box. Some of them are USB wireless where you buy a dongle, proprietary or not is told to you in the manual of each. You could also buy, for any of them, a LAN wifi dongle. Netgear WNCE2001/3001 are the ones I use. Every manufacturer of a wireless router has made LAN dongles for a decade. I bought the WNCE because I have a WNDR4500.

3. How do receivers connect to android phones, ipads and ipods? We have an old HTIB that connects with a cord but I'm not sure if this is done wirelessly now?
Via the network. As in why I already said Ipod/Ipads and droids could be the remote control.

The "front USB" feature would allow you to bypass Apple's legendarily crappy DAC. Yamaha and Onkyo specifically mention this on all of their receivers that have Apple compatible USB. You can't miss this feature.

4. If I understand correctly, all devices besides the TV and speakers would be inputs, correct?
Correct, the AVR is the brain of the operation. The only AVR you can connect the Wii to and have its video ride along to the TV over the HDMI is the NR525. Every other AVR you would just connect the Wii to TV, then connect the TV audio out to the AVR and treat the TV as "just another input".

5. What does "Do you want height or wide eventually? (look for DPL IIz or Aud DSX)" mean?
You can forget height/width. None of these AVR offer it. I thought the 525 did(oops on my part) cause last years 515 did.

6. I think you are correct about the 10565 being the Take Classic but I can't find confirmation. There really isn't much info online yet (they aren't being released to the 10th of September and there are no reviews yet. I contacted Monoprice but they basically said they can't compare different systems. They did say that the subwoofer has a peak 200W.
The prior MP 5.1 speaker set was nothing more than the E:TC. I think MP and Energy were "sorta embarrassed" that people figured it out. I bet they've done something cosmetic to try and cover that up.

7. Would it be best to mount the Monoprice speakers to the walls with brackets?
Don't know yet. I think the E:TC has a keyhole in the back(probably been 2 years since I've looked at the speaker set, other than what it was selling for) to just put a nail in the wall and hang it like a picture. If it has that, just do that.

Otherwise, pick a bracket that holds them however you wish.

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
Mike
Thanks Schan. That really clears a lot up. Kind of sounds like the Onkyo NR525 might be the best for me. I do have a couple of follow-up questions:

1. By self-power for Zone 2 on the 525 do you mean it would need a seperate amp? Our network does extend outside to our deck. Is it then possible to play and control music using our network that has been saved on our phones/ipods? How many speakers can be added on the second zone?

2. So we would need dongle to make them wireless and make using our phones as remotes possible, correct? Besides Pandora, what other internet apps can be used on these receivers?

Is there a site/link that explains many of the technical aspects and definitions?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. By self-power for Zone 2 on the 525 do you mean it would need a seperate amp? Our network does extend outside to our deck. Is it then possible to play and control music using our network that has been saved on our phones/ipods? How many speakers can be added on the second zone?
Yes, the Zone 2 output is pre-out only(the AVR is 5 channels). The Yamaha is 7(hence it has two extra channels for Zone B), so it could power your outside speakers on its own. You would just need to "wire them up". But the Yamaha can only do 1 source in both locations. Pick your poison.

Yes, that is entire point of the networking. (the Onkyo has to use analog for the Zone 2, so whatever is played out there must have a 2nd non-HDMI connection)

How many do you want? 2? 10? 100?

2. So we would need dongle to make them wireless and make using our phones as remotes possible, correct? Besides Pandora, what other internet apps can be used on these receivers?
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR525&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v575_black_u/?mode=model
Is there a site/link that explains many of the technical aspects and definitions?
See No. 2.

Real Name
Mike
I just found out I may be able to get the Sony STR-DN1040 for the free gift. How does this compare to the Denon E300 and the Onkyo NR525?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks