What's new

Best price for NAD T762 Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Alan Wong

Auditioning
Reggie,

What version is the software on your unit? I assume that would tell you right away if a new unit will solve your issue.

I too just purchased a NAD receiver from Yawa this week and love it. It's a refurbed T752 with newer software. So far, so good.

Alan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Reggie,

When do you experience the dropouts? What source and inputs are you using when you experience the dropouts (i.e. DVD via optical, CD via optical, DVD via coaxial)? What severity of dropouts are you experiencing (i.e. just first spinning up a disc, in between tracks of CDs/DVDs, for how long - a split second, 1/4 second, half-second, second or two)?

I noticed it takes the T762 a split second to initially detect a signal, nothing I haven't heard quite a few other receivers do, and significantly better than my old Sony.

The only in-CD dropouts I've experienced is when I have my CD player via optical and the CD has long pauses between tracks (like 3 seconds or so). I called a local NAD authorized repairman and he said that a lot of receivers (he services many brands not just NAD) do this. Look at the optical light (the red light) that the CD player sends out, when there are long pauses the light will dim and that is why the NAD is going into "sense signal" mode. Because it thinks that it's going to get a potentially different signal, and you don't want your receiver locked into one signal and get a mismatching one (i.e. stereo mode and get a DTS signal).

Currently I have my DVD-Audio player hooked up via 5.1 inputs so I don't experience the dropouts at all. I'm getting a combo SACD/DVD-A/CD player and will also connect it via 5.1 so this isn't really an issue for me.

As for DVD playback, I still haven't hearda dropout, even during previously problematic layer changes.

I'd call NAD tech support and see what they tell you.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Carlo,

It varies. I usually lose the first second or two of a CD track. I do notice whenever I pause this happens to. I played the "Clockwork Orange" soundtrack and lost the first second of every track because there is a 3-4 second pause between the CD tracks. I do not have these dropout problems with DVD-A/SACD I gather because they're being run analog. It only happens with the optical from my redbook CD player to the NAD. I have not yet played any movies. Another problem I have: I can't get Ears, EARS II, DPLII, or any of the DSP's to come up! What gives? The listening mode is locked on "stereo" and I can use the right/left cursor arrows to change it. Help!

Reg

UPDATE:

I just tried to play ST Nemesis and the 762 downmixed the audio to DD 2.0. I seriously need help here.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yikes Reggie, I really don't know what to tell you. My 762 autodecodes everything properly, and I can switch between the DSP modes easily. And the delay is more like a fraction of a second, not one or two, even for CDs.

BTW, don't Paramount titles sometimes default to the lower channel soundtrack? Did you choose the 5.1 track?

Finally, it may be time to crack the manual and go through it step by step to make sure nothing is misconfigured in your setup.

And if that doesn't work give Yawa a call. Bill especially is real knowledgeable about these things and may be able to give you a hand over the phone.

kevitra

Second Unit
I believe that if you don't have your speakers configured (center and rears), it will auto-downmix. Be sure to check in the menu that you have those speakers set to small or large, and not 'none.' I have read someone else with a similar problem, and it was a configuration issue (great manual...).

Also, try pushing the 'surround' button the the remote to see if that changes the surround type. I am not 100% sure on the button's lable, but it is a small circular button in the middle of the remote.

My 762 also has a 1/4 second delay when first starting up a CD. This will only happen on digital sources, so anything you use that is analog will be fine. It is a bit of an annoyance, but the two Rotel 1055s that I had made a loud pop when I switched channels on my DTV receivers, and sometimes popped in the middle of shows (known issue that Rotel hasn't fixed). It is annoying that these 'high'-end products have issues. I guess you have to put up with it, or goto a Denon or Elite (which don't sound nearly as good as the Rotel or NAD).

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks guys.

Problem solved. Guess what? I had the headphones plugged in so I couldn't access the DSP's!!! Apparently the 762 recognizes this and locks in stereo mode when the headphones are plugged in. Watched some of Nemesis and wow! It definitely sounded more dynamic than my Denon 1802, and the DVD-A's/SACD's I tried were better as well. What was most impressive was the redbook CD playback in HDCD. Two-channel was MUCH better than it was on the Denon with and without HDCD. One question though....The manual says that for headphone listening it is best to set the front left and right speakers to "large' or the bass will be lacking. Is there a way to do this without having to go in the system setup and switch them everytime I want to listen to headphones? Cnn I store them in the presets? I may've over exagerrated a bit Mario on the Digital/CD dropout problem. It is about half a second. I can live with it, but feel that I shouldn't have to at this price point. Hopefully NAD will solve this problem at some point down the road. If Denon can in a $500 AVR, NAD should be able to in a $1300 one, though the Denon did have a popping sound when you adjusted the volume during play. I guess there is no "perfect" AVR. There is no fan noise or hissing that was reported in earlier production runs, but the clicking sound was there with the OSD, though this doesn't bother me much. I am sure that the more time I spend with it, the more accustomed I will become with its functions and interface.

Reg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I reconsidered the 762. My dealer had a 762 in his shop because NAD wants them to carry their stuff, and he said he didn't feel the 762 was up to the level of the 9300, but was better than the 7300 OSE. Since the 762 uses similar, if not the same, DACs (crystal), and he gave me a good price, I went with the 8300. The 8300 says that it is not 4ohm capable, so I am also re-looking at the speakers I am choosing from, as well as the fact I am going to put off speakers for a month or so. My 8300 has not come in yet, so I am using a 6300 in the meantime (I sold my 6200), and it still has the delay with digital signals. In fact, I think it is actually worse than my 6200 was. I am sure hoping this is not the case with the 8300 as well (guessing it will be).

I read a pretty decent article on the dropout issue, and the situation can be aggravated by particular combinations of equipment. As Carlo noted, it has to do with this "dim" feature that confuses the receiver. I have this problem with my 222ES via coaxial digital to the 6300, as well as my DVD via coax, however I did not have the issue when I had my CC4000 via optical to the 6200. Apparently, the Marantz does not "pause" the digital signal during these gaps.

The headphone thing is the same with Marantz, they automatically switch to 2ch.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You have to use the OSD feature - you can store up to 5 presets, and before I was using the 5.1 input for DVD & CD (I was doing stereo direct and optical) I had 2 presets, 1 for normal bass management, another one for no subwoofer (for the pure stereo). The manual tells you how to do it, it's one of the last options on the OSD.

It's a two button press to switch between them (i.e. AV Preset + 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those presets would have been a nice feature to have...

I had presets on my sub (3 for phase, x-over and gain), but I just picked up my new sub today, so I no longer have this capability.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
John, so the Marantz CD player doesn't lose the signal in between pauses, huh? Might have to give that one a try...

Still loving the sound of my T762! :)

Hope you find a resolution to your situation, Reggie. Yawa is a great place and have been very helpful to me all the time, before AND after a sale. They do only get new shipments of NAD because they can't keep them in stock, so I don't think you got an old unit.

Maybe getting a CD Player that doesn't drop the optical signal on pauses? That's what I may try, but with my new SACD/DVDA uni player (considering the Pioneer 563A) that won't be necessary since it will be all analog 5.1 inputs that I'll be using.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Carlo.

I am happy with the T762. I do only notice the dropouts when using the Toslink from the CD player. The Player is a five year old $150.00 JVC changer which will be replaced very soon, perhaps with a 541i or whatever the new replacement for it will be. Everything is up and running, I just have to learn the remote and program some presets.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks